Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please tell me it gets better!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was supposed to have a triple flexible fusion w/laminectomy on Nov 10. It was moved up. I had it October 27. Last Feb I had a 2 level cervical fusion. OMG what a difference! The pain is more than I expected. The meds they gave me made me so sick ie - nauseous, severe ahem...constipation I had to stop taking everything. The muscle spasms are the worst! I ice as often as I can. Any suggestions as to what else I can do? It is all I can do just to sit here and write this.

Oh please tell me it gets better! I want to scream and pull my hair out!! ~X(

Thanks,
Lisa
advertisement

Comments

• Lisa, the first two weeks are rough. Can you try some different pain meds? Perhaps a patch if your tummy doesn't tolerate meds. Did you try a muscle relaxant, these are usually easier on the tummy. The constipation is terrible but there are remedies for that as well, if ya can find some pain med that is tolerable. I took colace, MOM, Miralax, dulcolax suppository (not all at the same time :))( ). There is always a fleets if all else fails. Raisin bran and plum smart juice is helpful too. Find something that works and stay on it while taking narcotics. I used ice and heat alternating. Walking helped too as well as using a pillow under or between the knees when lying down. Did you try getting a nausea med to see if you could tol the pain meds if you took it also? I hate that you are hurting. Call up your doctor and demand to try something else for pain. Hang in there, >:D< Cali-Sue
  • :& :''( HI ALL AND LISA, BIG WRITING TO HELP YOU OUT.IM 2 WEEKS POST OP WITH BOTH A HERNIA, SCAR TISSUE,AND ADHESIONS FROM THE FRONT, ON THE BACK, THEY DID A SPINAL LOWER BACK L-2 AND L-1 , YES THIS HURTS!!!!!!! BIG TIME, 2 SURGERIES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE. Lisa, ICE,Pain Meds,and if they make you sick, try, antiacids,STRONG ONES.They seem to help me some.I just got back from my 2 week follow up, from the 1st surgeon,Dr.Morgan.HE IS SO NICE.It hurts,the incision,and I had the Staples out this past monday.I have Steristrips over the Incision, and they cleaned it out again.Foalks,this HURTS! I knew it would, but this mutch? OUCH! lisa, do what im doing,stay on the recliner,ICE,Pain meds,try Tramedol,1/2 of it, wont upset your stomach.My Husband told me this, after an episode in the bathroom.Watch getting up and down from sitting, use a pillow,or 2,over the incision.TAKE TIME FOR U.PEACE TO U ALL. Rachel, a new person
  • I am so sorry you are hurting so badly. Yes, the first few weeks are horrid. I agree with others...call your doc and find a med that will give you pain relief and then another one for the nausea. I found that drinking prune juice did the trick very well for me for constipation. Ice packs, heating pads, pillows, raised toilet seats all come in pretty handy.

Please post when you can and let us know how you are doing!
  • ..for the nausea, if it's from your meds. It's very effective & works well. I get sick from almost everything (including anesthetics) & for my fusion they gave me a Zofran/diluadid combo that was smooth as silk....! Also added Vailum PRN for the muscle spasms, which helped (& still does) tremendously. It's just brutal surgery & takes forever to recover from, but you MUST have good pain control. That will let you sleep/rest,which speeds the fusion process. And as Joy says, those first weeks (my 1st two months, actually) are horrid. You just have to get thru them. Endure them. It does get better, it really does. At 10 months now, I am teaching again full-time...but at 3 weeks like you are, I was a zombie yet!

But keep the Metamucil,prunes & Colace handy...every good thing has it's "downside"...! Good pain pills have a binding effect, which you DON'T want....!

Keep us posted! good luck to you, dear! And remember: you are "fresh off the table yet"....it takes MONTHS to really feel better, so don't be too hard on yourself.

But do get that pai under control!

~Lakeside
advertisement