Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

A question before surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi,
My surgery has finally been scheduled for 11/14, I'm so ready to get it over with and move on (hopefully pain free). The surgery is to remove a 9mm extrusion at L5 S1. Today I received the report on my most recent MRI, I noticed one confusing piece. The report stated "@ L4-L5: There is a small Focal Central Disc Protrusion with some impression on the dura and cauda equina." I've heard so many times that cauda equina problems are very serious..is this something that needs immediate attention? Thanks for your continued help and support!
advertisement

Comments

• If you had cauda equina syndrome you would definitely know. Honestly, I think it does more bad than good for people to read MRI reports because there are tons of medical terms that sound scary to us but are really virtually non-problematic. My MRI report says all kinds of things lol, but I just had my fusion on L4-L5. They didn't mess with anything else.
  • As Lo says, MRI reports can sound scary to the layperson. Assuming your surgeon has a copy then everything should be OK. If your surgeon was overly concerned then he/she would be contacting you about bringing forward the surgery - the fact the surgeon hasn't would tend to make one think that everything is OK. However, if you are unsure, why not call and ask?
    Keep positive!

Bruce

...an old timer here and ex-moderator