Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Symptoms?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
Not looking for medical advice, but I have had three different diagnosis for my pain, and I am wondering if anyone else here has gone through this.

First I was told piriformis syndrome, next an MRI revealed grade one spondylolisthesis with bilat foraminal stenosis L5/S1, today I was told that the spondy was minor and has probably been there for quite some time, had a extension series of xrays to check stability of L5/S1

The pain is in my butt when sitting. It doesn't bother me when lying down, walking or on an elliptical. I sleep on my side pain free, no pain going down the legs, and occasional lower back pain that I think is from the core exercises and stretching.

The issue is that the treatments jump from place to place, PT focusing on L5/S1 with stretching and traction, epidural first in the L5/S1 area, then today in my buttocks.

Has anyone gone through three different diagnosis like this, or have any familiarity with this type of issue?

advertisement

Comments

• It is very hard to diagnose what is actually causing the pain because we can all have so many different issues that may or may not cause pain. For instance, most people have some form of DDD. Some people have excruciating pain with it and others have no problems at all with the same exact levels. It is very difficult to diagnose what is causing the pain and usually takes a great deal of patience and lots of diagnostic procedures. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
  • There is some great stretching excercises for piriformis here under treatment. My Pain management Dr. wasn't too fond of traction though. Run these excercises by your Dr. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN