Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New and confused

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi I've been lurking for a while and have decided to seek your help and advice :D

I'm 40, and have been having neck and back issues for years. I have been seeing a physiatrist for the bulk of my treatments. I have had 2 microdiscectomies within 2 years.
The last one was about a year ago. I got better for awhile and then same old back pain with pain radiating down my left leg. Dr. had me repeat my mri's (after much nagging from me about my pain level and no relief from drugs).

This is the mri report I received:

L4-5 Mild annular bulge of the inervertebral disc with a small broad-based central protrusion with annular fissuring/high intensity zone mildly flattening the anterior aspect of the thecal sac.

L5-6 A left hemilaminotomy defect is seen. Mild retrolisthesis of L5 S1 is seen. Intervertevral disc is normal in height but moderately diminished in signal intensity. Mild annular bulge seen witha 5mm broad-based extrusion extending from centrally through the left laterally and extending slightly caudal to the intervertebral disc space level. Moderate posterior displacemnt of the left S1 nerve root. Moderate right and moderatley severe left neural foraminal narrowing .

OK - what the heck does that mean? All my dr. said was - you ruptured your disc again - you need to get it fused. I have a call into a spine surgeon but I am having a hard time getting a return call.

Does something like a rupture keep getting worse? My pain is pretty bad - about a 7 on a daily basis. My dr. has me on Norco and Tramadol. HA!

Also - I am pretty active - I have 2 young kids - and I'm a substitute teacher - I am not the one who is going to rest and take it easy ;)

Thanks for listening and any advice you have! This is a great forum.
advertisement

Comments