Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cradle-type pillow for occipital neuralgia

MaggiePMMaggieP Posts: 349
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I saw in a magazine at the doctor's office a device that looked like a pillow, but it had a cradle to lay your head in. The sides put pressure on the back of the neck, where occipital pain starts. Now I can't find the article again. Does anyone here know what these are called, or where I can find one? I'm having severe pain and headaches daily. My PT used his fingers while I was laying on back, and it helped some. But his fingers got tired before my headache went away. :))( He has been doing deep tissue massage, untra-saound, and tapeing but nothing is really working. I don't want another surgery, but after driving for 8 hours a day, it's getting to be more than I can take. Help!

Maggie
advertisement

Comments

• I'm not sure where you live but most medical health stores have these pillows. I got memory foam pillows from walmart at a great price. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I'm curious. Are you looking to get one so you can reduce your headaches and problem with occipital neuralgia?

I've suffered Occipital Neuralgia for many years and I can't even let a pillow touch certain areas of my neck and head.

I would try one first if you can find one.

"C"
  • Yes. The device I saw was one you laid your neck on, it supported your head, and put pressure on the occipital area just like the PT does. You were suppossed to use it maximum of 20min, I think. Just like when you dig your fingers into the back of your skull, and it relieves the pain. If I can find the article again, I will let you know. I will keep looking!

Maggie
  • Ahh, I see. With me, the docs could not even get close to touching the area at the back of my head, my neck or anywhere along the nerve on the side of my head without setting off excruciating pain episodes.

Try the pillow and see if it helps. I hope it does.

"C"
advertisement