Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pleas Help! Excrucitating pain! Been up all night!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
It is 5:57 am. I got to sleep around 2am. I had back surgery a month ago to remove a partial disc in my lower back that was pressing on a nerve. Before surgery, when I would do a lot of walking, work, etc., my leg and foot would hurt. Mostly my foot. I don't know how to describe it except it would "tingle". It is an awful pain because it is in one spot, and it feels like someone is stabbing me in the foot with a needle over and over.

I have had it off and on still after surgery, but last night was the worst! I could not sleep! I have no more pains meds, and this morning I took 5 advil! I know that is too much but I'm desperate!!!!! All night long and still right now I have this tingle pain in my foot! My leg along with it is hurting, but the foot is the worst!

Has anyone experienced this before? What could it be? Is it some kind of nerve damage? I am going to see the doctor next week, and I'm almost positive he's going to send me back to work, but I don't feel I'm ready. I've only been out a month, and I still cannot walk long or stand long, and where I work it's 12 hour shifts and that is all you do is walk and stand.
advertisement

Comments

• IT SURE DOES SEEMS AS THOUGH YOUR NERVE HAS BEEN TRAUMATIZED BY THE SURGERY. AFTER MY FUSION, MY NERVE PAIN (JUST AS YOU DESRIBE--LIKE BEING STABBED WITH AN ICE PICK) WAS MUCH WORSE. MY SURGEON TOLD ME THIS WOULD EVENTUALLY GO AWAY. HE GAVE ME SOME STEROIDS TO REDUCE THE INFLAMMATION. IN MY CASE, THE PAIN NEVER DID GO AWAY BUT I THINK I'M THE EXEPTION NOT THE RULE. CALL YOUR DOC. DON'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT WEEK. TELL HIM/HER WHATS GOING ON. HE/SHE WILL SURELY GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO HELP SETTLE DOWN THAT NERVE PLUS SOME STRONGER PAIN MEDS. I DOUBT HE/SHE WILL SEND YOU BACK TO WORK IF YOU ARE IN THIS MUCH PAIN. PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU CALL THE DOC. BE BRAVE. SUSAN.
  • Olivia , so sorry to see that you are in so much pain. Have you thought about calling the doc to see if you can be put on their cancellation list? That way if they get a cancellation from another patient then maybe you can get in earlier. Also , you might want to make a list of all of your symptoms , concerns and how all of this is affecting your day to day life.....the more info the doc has to go on the better. Please do keep us posted as to how you are doing and what you find out. Take care....Miki
  • So sorry your suffering. We all have been there or are there now.
    Yeah don't wait call a.s.a.p. they may be able to call you in something for the nerve pain. They may also want a test of some sorts to make sure you did not reherniate or the disk is pressing on a nerve even more so then before surgery.
    Does not sound like your ready for work yet. You can't function at work, if your loosing sleep with pain.

I had very sharp pain in my 2 toes after my fusion. I am now almost 7 weeks post op and it has let up alot.
    It did feel like a needle in my toes. But only when I walked. or rubbed it against the sheets wrong.

Call and let us know how you make out. 4weeks is early out for any type of surgery to the back.

Good luck hun, hope you get some rest I) I) I) >:D< >:D<
  • last december and they removed most of my disc. I had severe nerve pain for about 4 months after surgery. It really takes some time for the nerve that was compressed to heal. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Thanks for your concerns. I saw the doctor Monday, and he prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain, pain meds, and Predninsone(sp?) for inflammation. It has helped quite a bit, and I was sooo relieved when he said he expects me to be out for 3 months (my supervisor was not happy at all to hear that).

I will start physical therapy on Monday, and the doctor said that will cause pain also. I am so worried about going back to work though. The doctor said that I will go back on light duty, but I have heard of people on here who's nerves did not heal for a year or more. Some never did. I am really concerned about my job and what I will do. I have lived with this back and leg pain for about 7 years now, but this past year was unbearable so that is what brought on the surgery.
  • Have you tried anything for sciatica (eg. lyrica?) If you have to wait so long to see him he should give you something in the meantime. Or even see your GP to help you. Already you know 5 advil is beyond the normal dose. You need your pain controlled now. I hope you're feeling better and get some relief. Tingling is almost as bad as pain and it can cause extreme distress. Take care Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement