Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical laminoplasty

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello....FYI, I am a newbie but have been searching through your forum for a couple of weeks and am now ready to ask a question. I have had neck issues for years(nothing severe). For the past 2+ years I have had hand problems (numbness, tingling). The diagnosis was carpul tunnel. About 6 months ago I started having increased hand problems & neck pain along with shoulder, elbow & knee pain-all left side. My PCP sent me for x-rays and with those findings sent me for an MRI on 9/6/08. The findings are: spinal stenosis and cord compression between C4 - C7 due to combination of hypertrophic changes and bulging discs, most marked at C5-C6. Mild cord edema or myelomalacia at C5-C6 left side. Sent to a NS and he recommended a 3 level ACDF C4-C7 and sent me for a CT Scan. Of course this freaked me out...I thought he didn't know what he was talking about. I called my PCP and they made an appointment with a different NS for a 2nd opinion. He said that because of where the osteophites were growing an ACDF would not help my problem and he recommended a 3 level posterior cervical laminoplasty with titanium hinges...he wanted to deal with the compression asap. Has anyone had this procedure? Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• I will try and help you best I can. I had the acdf sept 06 and 5 months later had the posterior laminoplasty done. After obtaining all my medical records for social security disabilty I have seen now that the posterior opproach would have been the right surgery to have first. After my surgeon went in the first time he seen things that did not show on the mri, the oseophytes and one was in a postion that was very dangegours to my spinal cord. I think he was just hoping the first surgery would correct it and it did not. My fusion is C4-C7 with a corpectomy done at C5. I hope this helps some.

Sharon
  • Sharon,
    Thank you for the reply. My NS also said that because of where the osephytes were, an ACDF would not decompress my cord. I'm glad he caught that ahead of time. Can you tell me more about your laminoplasty...ie, how long in the hospital, were you in a lot of pain following surgery, do you still have pain, etc. My NS said that I would be able to return to work 3-4 weeks, maybe sooner...This scares the heck out of me. Again, thank you for the info...I really appreciate it.
    Doreen
  • I don't know about that short of recovery time. Posterior surgery is not easy. I compare it to the anterior surgery and posterior was a long recovery. 4 weeks after my acdf I was actually feeling good and then new pain started. They cut muscle and a lot of nerves are involved. Most of my post op pain was nerve pain which I still have today. I am now on social security disabilty if they says anything, everyone is different and that happen to be my outcome. That does not mean that you will have that outcome, I have permenant nerve damage from waiting so long to have surgery.

Sharon
  • Hi Sharon:

My NS is considering posterior approach as well. He is sending me to another neuro for second opinion before settling on which he is doing. I have a disc impinging on my C-6 nerve root, generalized central canal stenosis, discs bulging C3 thru C7 and bone spurs, one of which is also affectting my C6 nerve root.

I was diagnosed late June. Now in early Nov they are still diagnosing and deciding. I hope I don't end up with permanent nerve damage and as a consequence on SS Disability. I'm 56 yrs old, Type 2 diabetic, hypertension as well.

Ken GreyEagle
    Greyeagle
  • I went for 2 years before seeing a doctor, my pain was mostly arm pain. The accident I was in was 10 years prior, I never felt any effects from the accident, it was just a slow progress over time that led to my neck being in such a mess. I did have the occasional crick in my neck over the years but never thought anything about it. In fact when I went to the doctor I was totally caught off guard, I thought something was wrong with my arm like tennis elbow. It sneaked up on me for sure. I hope this is not your case. I had a myelogram done yesterday, my first, to see what kind of damage is going on right now. I have been suffering from shoulder pain since May and some of the symptoms are pointing back to the neck.

Sharon
  • It did take them quite awhile to figure out why I was having arm pain. I've been in pain in my left arm for two years. At first they thought it was tendenitis. I went to therapy for that. Then they thought I might need elbow replacement. I went to therapy for that. I had x-rays and MRI of my elbow. No significant findings on my elbow. Finally I was referred to a spine doctor. She did nerve conduction tests. Shortly after that it was found I have all this cervical spine stuff going on.

Yeah, I don't know how much damage has occured over this period of time. My pain is getting worse and is occuring on my left arm, shoulder and my neck now too.

So, we'll see. All I can do is wait now and see what the second opinion neuro says.

Ken
    Greyeagle
  • Due to a fall in Feb 07 and episode of transient quadraplegia that last for several minutes - had c3-c7 laminoplasty in May 07. Spinal canal was extremely narrowed, hyperextension of neck during fall was so close to permanently crippling me, lucky to be typing this. Have had neck problems since childhood, many years of chiropractic treatment, then neurosurgeons and orthopedic visits the past 10-12 years. One orthopedic warned me to never have surgery on my neck due to narrow blood vessel canal on one side of spine - about 6 years ago. Another orthopedic in same spine clinic ended up doing my surgery in 07. Last 10-12 years have had increasing episodes of numbness in hands upon waking up in middle of night, burning, tingling during daytime in left hand predominantly. Since laminoplasty, pinkie and ring finger of left hand are essentially totally numb. Have lost much muscle mass in left hand. Though "numb", pain is sometimes hard to bear, try NOT to take meds for it. Was off work for 3 months after surgery, pain in neck was very bad, slowly regained use of left arm, which I could not lift after the surgery. Have pretty physical job at times. Driving and typing really set off more numbness in left hand and forearm area. Just had carpel tunnel procedure on left hand in mid Oct 08, has not helped. Will be going back to neck surgeon soon to see if possible fusion at 2-3 levels will help. Seems that T8 nerve root on left side is compromised and right side is also a problem if neck position is "wrong". Get numbness on outside of right hand at times as well.

Did not have much choice in doing surgery, my spinal cord was so "squished" by the narrow canal that I was a very high risk for spinal cord damage.
  • It's quite amazing on how many people are suffering from neck pain. I've been suffering for many years now. Since I worked in a "In-Bound Call Center", I had Tendinitis Surgery on my left wrist, and 2003 Carpal Tunnel Surgery on my right wrist to stop the numbness in my fingers with the pain in my neck. Well the numbness went away in my right hand, but the pain continued on in my neck. I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve 2 yrs ago and the Dr. recommend "Deep Tissue physical Therapy", it worked for a while then the pain returned. Finally I had my MRI done and here are the results for, C3-4, C4-5, c6-7 with severe stenosis, ventral contour of the cervical cord is flattened, severe narrowing, disc protrusion and roots compressed. My right shoulder and arm hurts all the time, sleeping at night is a task. When I asked my doctor about the recovery time, he says either 2 to 4 days in the hospital. But after reading about cutting in the nerve and recovery time, I'm getting a little scared, My surgery is scheduled for 12-10. Any advise or guidance will greatly be appreciated.

• Hi Shar,

I had my first surgery on 12/10 after surgery the next morning the surgeons came in and ask me to perform some routine motions with my arms and feet. When it came down to my right arm, I could squeeze it and push but I could not lift my arm. Example using my bi-cep muscle so my arm just hangs. They sent me in for a CT Scan and found out one of the hinges moved and was pressing against the C5 an C6 nerve. So I had to rtn for surgery the next day on the 12/11 to remove and the bone that was inserted. Still after the surgery I cannot life my arm. I waiting for physicial therapy, so I will be off work longer than I wanted. So you'll never know what complicatioons arise after surgery. Good Luck.
  • since your laminoplasty surgery? My symptoms are very similar to yours - C3-C7. I had an ACDF in 2005 on C3-C4. Now it appears that I need another surgery from C3-C7 due to stenosis, arthritis, and lots of other stuff. I do NOT have myelopathy at this time - I did have it before my ACDF surgery, and there was no time to even think about that surgery. I had severe spinal cord compression. At this time, there is no cord compression, but the fluid that runs down the spinal canal is practically non-existent between C3-C7. I have had two opinions from different neurosurgeons. First neuro said laminectomy which would cause severe loss of range of motion in my neck and back. Very difficult surgery, lots of cutting, lots of hardware, etc. Second opinion was for laminoplasty - this neuro was older, has a lot more experience than the first neuro, and told me that laminoplasty has less risks than laminectomy. (The first neuro told me just the opposite - that laminoplasty has more risks - plus she doesn't DO laminoplasty surgery, only laminectomy). My main symptoms are balance problems. I've fallen a few times in the past 12 months, and I know that each time I fall, the risk gets higher for more damage to my spinal cord. I know that I need surgery, but both doctors said that I could "wait and see" if my symptoms started to get worse. If that happens, then surgery would be necessary right away. I don't know if I want to wait for my symptoms to get worse! My first cervical spine surgery was an emergency, due to the risk of being a paraplegic because of severe spinal cord compression.

Anyway, I started this post to find out how you are doing after your laminoplasty. I'm hoping to hear that you are doing great and that the recovery process has not been too bad on you.

If you have a chance, please reply, as I'm very interested in how the laminoplasty has helped you.

Be well,
    Azzie
  • I am 7 weeks post c3-c6 laminoplasty. The first few days were rough. I start physical therapy this week for strengthening and stretching. Overall good results. I had severe headaches that are mostly gone. Numbness in arms and hands has improved, but surgeon says to give that more time. I preferred the idea of this over fusion.
  • I'm glad that you are 7 weeks post op and that the results have been good for you. (Obviously other than the severe headaches).

I've done as much research as I could find regarding laminoplasty, and I feel it's a much better option too. I'm contacting my NS sometime this week to discuss the surgery, what to expect, etc.
  • I had a posterior cervical laminoplasty performed on September 9, 2008. It's been a long and slow recovery but well worth it. I've been in physio therapy for the past 2 months and have improved dramatically. My symptoms were ongoing for years, to the point where I was getting numbness on the complete right side of my body. My right side was getting weaker and weaker. For 3 years I was having MRI's, appointments with my neurologist and neurosurgeon. I did a lot of research on posterior cervical laminoplasty. My husband and I had lengthy discussions about the surgery, the recovery and what my limitations might be after the surgery. We decided to go ahead with it. My spinal cord was so compressed that my doctors were worried that if I would simply fall the wrong way, I could become paralyzed immediately. That scared me. I had no other choice but to have the surgery, to prevent paralysis in the near future. I quit smoking the day before the surgery, because smoking interferes with the healing of the bones. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I had to take it easy for the first 3 months. I wore a rigid cervical collar for those 3 months. I was then given a soft cervical collar to wear and began physio therapy. I am now almost back to normal. I still have some stiffness in my neck, but I no longer have constant headaches or numbness in my right arm and torso. My right leg is still numb and that is due to lumbar stenosis. But, all in all, I don't regret my decision to have this surgery. I'm not rushing the recovery and the physio, and that's a big part of my successful healing. I just wanted to share my story with others who are in a similar situation.
  • Hi Lynn,

I too have spinal cord compression and I think my Laminoplasty surgery will be sometime in March. My first neurosurgeon recommended a Laminectomy with fusion from C3-C7. I really didn't like the sound of it or the end results of the surgery (loss of range of motion). So I got another opinion and this doctor recommended a Laminoplasty. I too will have to wear the hard collar for 3 months and during that time, will not be able to drive. I'm not looking forward to the collar, but if it makes my pain levels better, my balance better, etc., then obviously 3 months of wearing a collar will be worth it.

Can you give me any tips on wearing the collar to make it as comfortable as possible. I've read that sometimes putting a silk scarf on before putting the collar on helps any rubbing factor.

I'm thrilled to hear that you are doing so well in your recovery. This will be my second cervical spine surgery. The first one was in 2005 and was an ACDF with fusion on C3-C4.

You mentioned the recovery time with the Laminoplasty - and I'm assuming that's because of more cutting of muscles going in through the back?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Azzie
  • I have almost full motion moving my head from left to right. No longer have pain in my neck area as before. My major problem is the C5 nerve damage in my right arm from the surgery. I cannot touch my face with my right hand, I am using my shoulder muscles to move my arm inward towards my stomach. My upper right arm the muscle had dropped completely so all you can fill is the bone. I am not happy about that at all, going to physical therapy twice a week but I do not see any improvement at all. I will see my physician next week for a follow-up.

If you need surgery do your research, and way your options before hand. I do not regret going under the knife, but wished I had a better end result.

Keep me posted on your decision.

Best Wishes,
  • Hi Azzie

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, I haven't been on this site for a while.

I didn't have any problems with the Aspen cervical collar. You can go on their website to get more information. It has removable sponge pads so that I could wash them and re-use them. The collar comes with an extra set of pads. Your collar should not be rubbing at all, it has to be snug but not too tight. Some neurosurgeons feel there is no need for a cervical collar after a cervical laminoplasty. Other neurosurgeons feel that you will heal better with a cervical collar. It's more or less a preventative measure against moving or turning your head too fast. It's to keep your head still so that the surgery will heal properly. For the first couple of weeks, I had a lot of pain and had difficulty sleeping with the collar. I found that using a couple of pillows to prop myself up in a semi-sitting position was the most comfortable for me. After a while, I got very frustrated with the collar. All I had to do was think about what would happen if I injured my neck. It's a small price to pay to be relieved of pain. I'm now in my 3rd month of physiotherapy. My therapist says I'm healing well and my muscles are getting better. It's a long process. When you wear a collar for 3 months, there are a lot of muscles in your neck, shoulders and back, that are not being used. You have to slowly start stretching them, once you no longer need the collar. I'm driving again, but not too often. Driving in the city is hard on the neck, I'm constantly turning my head. But, one day at a time. If I'm hurting in any way, I take it easy. If I'm having a good day, I try to do more. You get to know your limits after a while. I hope this helps you.

Lynn
  • Hi Lynn,

I'm happy that you are recovering well. I think I have a surgery date - and that would be March 18th, 2009. I have decided upon the Laminoplasty, rather than fusion. I already have had fusion surgery and apparently it may have helped, but it also made my spine weaker, thus requiring more surgery.

I agree - I will remind myself everyday after surgery that wearing the collar is worth it, considering the alternative of possibly messing up the surgery!

So now I have a timeline and trying to get things in order. You know, proper paperwork for my family, list of things to do prior to surgery, things that I should have on hand prior to surgery.

Do you have any special tips on what I should have around the house prior to surgery. I've heard that I will need a "grabber" and also an adjustable tray - similar to a hospital bedside tray. Did you have any of these things? Did you have someone stay with you for awhile after surgery? My cousin and my mom will be here for about 1 week post surgery.

Thanks for your response.
    Hugs,
    Azzie
  • Hi Azzie,

I'm glad to hear you've decided on having the laminoplasty. I had an MRI done last night and will be seeing my neurosurgeon on March 2nd. If everything is ok on the MRI, I won't have to see him again.

I'm very fortunate, I had my husband helping me out after the surgery. The first couple of weeks are the toughest. The most difficult part is getting used to the collar. If you're getting the same kind of collar as I had, you'll be shown how to remove it, change and clean the foam pads, and put the collar back on properly. You'll need someone to keep the incision clean. I had a caregiver come in once, to help me bathe. I wasn't comfortable with that. So, I would bathe myself and my husband would help me in and out of the tub or shower. You can get the collar wet, but as soon as you're out of the shower, you must put dry pads on your collar. If you have a lazy boy chair, you may find it more comfortable to sit in. I actually slept in it one night, because I had difficulty getting comfortable in bed. I discovered I slept better in a semi-sitting position. I had some pillows propped up and found that it was comfortable to sleep. I eventually slept on my side, that was quite the challenge. You'll need to be able to rest your head. By the third week, I was painting our kitchen cupboards. I don't advise anyone to do that. I'm very stubborn and can't sit still. I was never one to just sit around and do nothing. But, with this surgery, that's what you have to do. After I had painted the cupboards, I was in a lot of pain. If you're going to be in a rigid collar for the first 3 months, you'll have to watch what you eat. I gained over 25lbs in those 3 months and I'm having a very difficult time losing it right now. You'll also notice that you can't do a lot because you can't use your arms as freely as before. Your neck muscles and shoulder muscles are all affected by this.

I had prepared a calling list for my husband to call after the surgery. My husband was responsible for everything; the housework, the shopping, paying the bills. I just sat around and watched TV.

My advice to you is to try to get someone to stay with you for at least the first 2 weeks. After that, things get better. It's a long process. Follow the doctor's orders, it's for your own good. I'll let you know what the MRI shows.

Best of luck and God Bless.
    Lynn

• Thanks Lynn for posting. My surgery date is now March 25th - the March 18th was an estimate of when I would have the surgery.

I am a very recent widow - I lost my husband of 44 years on May 7th, 2008. So going into the surgery without my best friend by my side and then at home with me post surgery will be difficult to say the least. He was my rock!

My cousin will be staying with me for as long as it takes for me to be by myself. She is a strong person, both mentally and physically, so I know that she will be a great help.

Oh God - you gained 25 pounds??????? That's the last thing I need to do is to gain weight! I'm trying to take at least 10 pounds off prior to surgery ~:

Thanks for the reminder to make a 'call list'. I don't intend to paint my kitchen cabinets mainly because I hate to paint! LOL However, I tend to be a 'neat freak' so I don't know how long I will be able to stand not cleaning house. Worse, I have an off-white carpet in my living room. I loved it when we bought it, and I still love it, but it is a pain to keep clean.

Gentle hugs,
    Azzie
  • Hi Azzie.

I saw my neurosurgeon on March 2nd, for the last time. He looked over my MRI images and said my spinal cord was completely decompressed. I was very happy to hear that. Now, I can concentrate on getting more active. As for the extra 25lbs I gained, and can't lose, it's because hypothyroidism. I got the test results of my bloodwork and it shows that my thyroid gland is underactive. I knew there was something wrong because I was always able to lose weight when I would exercise. Don't worry about gaining weight. If you do, you'll be able to lose it in the hospital or shortly after. We all know what hospital food tastes like...lol As for the housework, let it go. I know it's easier said than done, but you'll have no choice. When I was ready to vacuum, I couldn't use the vacuum cleaner we had because it was too heavy to move around. So, my husband got me the Swiffer Vac. That was much better. We don't have any carpeting, it's all hardwood flooring. Dusting was easy with the Swiffer Duster. Gee, I'm starting to sound like a commercial...lol

I'm sorry you won't have your best friend with you, at least not physically. He's with you in spirit. He's watching over you.

Where are you having your surgery? I had mine done at the Ottawa Civic Hospital. Has your surgeon told you what to expect after surgery? Will you have to wear a rigid collar for the first 3 months? The reason I ask these questions is because I did a lot of research before having the surgery, and found that each neurosurgeon had their own post-surgery process. Some surgeons have their patients doing neck exercises on the 3rd day; others don't even have their patients wear a rigid collar. I'm not sorry I had to wear the collar, it was a preventative measure, so that I wouldn't injure myself during the healing process.

Anyways, I pray that your surgery is a success. I've had numerous surgeries in the past and was always scared or nervous. I wasn't scared or nervous for this surgery because I prayed to God and he answered my prayers. He was with me the whole time, and still is today.

You're in my prayers. God Bless.
    Warmest Hugs
    Lynn
  • Hi Lynn,

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and prayers. I think I'm more nervous about this surgery because Harley (hubby) won't be there with me. I have a large family and we are VERY close - so it won't be that I won't have loved ones around me. It's just the 'special' someone won't be here physically. Oh yes, I know that he will be watching over me :-)

I have hypothyroidism too - I had my thyroid removed in 1974 due to a benign tumor. My recent blood tests showed that it's pretty inactive. I've been on thyroid ever since that operation, but at a low dose. The doctor has increased the dosage so hopefully that will prevent me from gaining a lot of weight!

My surgery will be at Sacramento Kaiser (in CA). My neurosurgeon already told me that I will be in a hard collar for 2 1/2 months; at least I know. For my first spinal surgery, I just had a soft collar, but that was with fusion. The laminoplasty will be done without fusion, so I agree - I would rather have my neck stable too.

I also have had many surgeries. This surgery will be my 6th major surgery. I still have to have a total knee replacement on my right knee. But my orthopedic surgeon wouldn't touch my knee until I had my spine done! So I'm looking at another surgery some time early next year.

I see you're from Ottawa. Harley and I were in Canada in 2004 for our 40th wedding anniversary. We stayed in Niagara Falls. What a way to celebrate our anniversary!

In 2007, we went on a cruise with my family and we traveled to the New England states and on up into Canada. The Eastern part of Canada is absolutely gorgeous. We enjoyed our stay very much.

I'm glad that you have your clean bill of health. I will keep you posted on how I do after surgery.

Gentle hugs,
    Azzie
  • Hi. I'm new to this forum. I was just scheduled for a 4-level cervical laminoplasty next week (June 15), after much research and consultation with 3 different doctors. The two orthosurgeons said cervical laminoplasty and the neurosurgeon said ACDF. It was a hard decision for me, because I have no pain. I have tingling, numbness and clumsiness, but I thought that was (and it still could be) from my carpal tunnel. The option was to wait and watch closely or one of the surgeries. But given that this is progressive, I came to the conclusion that I should do this, and not risk paralysis from falling (but that doesn't stop me from re-visiting the question every day about whether this is really necessary now...in some ways it is good that I only have a week before the surgery). I have severe disc degeneration at C4-5, C5-6, and C6-7 and slight spondylolisthesis of C3-4. At C3-4 there is mild to moderate left greater than right sided foraminal narrowing. At C4-5 and C5-6 there is significant spinal stenosis with flattening of the cord and moderate biforaminal narrowing. I have read some conflicting information about post-operative recovery. A lot of the posters on this forum talk about hard collar worn for a long period. My surgeon says that he believes this delays recovery; he goes with soft collar as needed for comfort. He says recovery of 4-6 weeks, but forum posters here say much longer. I had expected to be working from home after the first week (I'm a lawyer (and an artist) and do a lot of computer/document work and conference calls; and I had hoped to be able to paint again soon). Is that unreasonable? Also, I have no pain now; am I likely to have long-term neck pain as a result of this operation? What about nerve damage? Is the pain excruciating after surgery? For those of you who have had this surgery, what would you have wanted to know before? Any advice/guidance on these and any other issues related to cervical laminoplasty would be gratefully appreciated, as my surgery is imminent. Thanks.
  • I am new to this experiance also.
    3 weeks ago I had never heard of spinal stenosis,and this week I now have severe cervical stenosis
    I saw a NS on Monday and he recommends a Laminoplasty procedure, he showed me the props and explained the deal in simple terms that I could follow.
    The symptom that started this was waking up with both arms numb. After the mandatory 24 hour (male rule) wait. I went to a walking ER, x-rays and blood work, w/ recommendation to see a Neurologist. MRI and lots of fun tests and then This visit to the surgeon,
    I work around heavy machinery, I chose to remove myself from work until I knew what was wrong. Smart decision. I have no disability pay, do have good insurance.
    I am having difficulty walking and a tight feeling in both biceps, holding a pen or fork would look funny if it was not so frustrating.
    I have a 2ND opinion to read the MRI, at Yale, in 11 days. This time I will have the 34 questions printed w/a copy for the Dr., I did not think of a collar, . My brain had freaked at the halo I had seen on the 1st site I went to.
    I asked and was encouraged to record the 1st Dr. visit.
    I had asked the Dr. if he could put me in touch w/ patients that had the same procedure. He called Friday and reported 2 no and 1 no response. I have had positive results with other issues when I talk with people that have walked in my shoes. This forum is OK in a fashion, however face to face or phone is my 1st choice.
    Monday I am going to install a handrail in the shower!
    Stef
  • Hi everyone, I had a cervical laminectomy June 9th,2009. I had a cervical fusion January 2006. since the fusion a bone spur grew at the C3 level where my fusion healed. i had the posterior laminectomy. my question is what should I expect from this operation? My shoulders are so sore, my head feels heavy, muscles spasms are intense, the over all fatigue feeling from the surgery too. Will all this improve soon? All I want to do is sleep for now. Taking a lot of pain meds and applying a pain patch the doctor prescribed. My energy level is poor. I sit out side a bit and walk a little but feel better laying down. Is this all normal ?
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Since I last posted after the surgery my C5 nerve was damaged, that's why the doctor performed a 2nd surgery the next to try to correct without success. Since then I requested for an 2nd opinion with another surgeon. When he read my medical report he knew exactly what was going on with me. It is called C5 Palsy after Cervical Laminoplasty, I was shocked. You can google this and see numerous articles regarding on this topic regarding the nerve damage that occurs as a result from this surgery. Now the bad news it can't be reversed, I have to go through another surgery to correct my initial problem that wasn't corrected the first time this procedure is on the anterior side ACDF. My symptoms has increased and I may need another surgery after this because c6-c7 is quite severe as well, also but the doctor wants to wait to see how I progressed with this surgery. I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks for your emails.

• I am 29 years old. Have a very active lifestyle. Play all sports and some extreme ones like snowboarding. i was diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis leading to spinal cord compressional. I have have left and right nerve compression as well.

I recently went through posterior cervical laminoplasty, after two years of pain. I have seen a dozen neurosurgeron who all warranted that cervical internvation was necessary asap.. but i kept holding off because i did not want to do a fusion. I had no luck getting private insurance to approve artificial disc...

Finally, I gave up and found an alternative. It's called Endoscopic Minimal Invasive surgery. If you want more info on the institute and doctors, send me a message.

long story short, I just had surgery about 5 days ago. Now in recovery state and in a lot of pain.. more so than what I started pre-surgery. but I think that's just the nature of surgery itself.

I am freaking out too because I dont know why I would be in so much pain, especially if the incision itself is only less than 2 inches and it's outpatient surgery. Surgery itself only lasted 2 hours...

I want to know the following:
    1. people on this post who has had cervical posterior laminoplasty surgery, did you go with the endoscopic approach? if not, how was the surgery performed?
    2. How much recovery time was needed?
    3. any complications?

of course, feel free to ask me any questions too. I'm a newbie and still learning day by day.

• I had posterior discectomy/lamanectomy/forenotomy 17 days ago. My surgeon told me the incision would be 2 inches but it ended up being about 6. My surgery was about 3 hours. I spent one night in the hospital before going home.

I took the percocet twice a day for 3 days. Since then its just the neurontin (which I;m decreasing), skelaxin and tylenol when needed. The muscle pulling through my back has been worse this week so I started PT today. I trust my PT to guide me through exercises that will help me heal and rebuild the muscle faster and eliminate the pain.

I am going back to work on Monday - 3 weeks from my surgery. I was told by another doctor that I could take 6-8 weeks off from work if I wanted to but in this economy I don't want to risk losing my job.
  • I had surgery about 2 and one half months ago, I had spinal cmopression from stenosis C3 C7. When the surgery was over I had lost the use of my hand and unable to walk unassisted. My surgeon told me little by little I will get back to normal. The only thing is my left hand and left ankle remain swollen. I am worried I am not getting the whole story. I also must tell you I had mersa during my stay in rehab. During the surgery it appears a bone fragment became logded in my spinal cord. Leadind to a second surgery.
  • 5 months ago low back pain led to an MRI. The MRI shows sever cervical myelopathy C5-6 with cord signal abnormality, unrelated to the low back pain which is totally gone. I have ZERO cord compression symptoms. I regularly hike, play tennis, and go for long swims. NO neck or shoulder pain or weakness, or balance problems. It was shocking that surgeon wanted me to sign up for cervical fusion immediately. I have finally kicked myself into getting another opinion. Opinion 2 is to have laminopathy surgery soon, before I develop irreversible symptoms, but he thinks fusion is a reasonable choice too. I am having a hard time finding a 3rd opinion in my area. Has anyone found a web site that can tell you how many times a doctor has performed a given procedure? I want a surgeon that has expertise in both procedures so their decision based on my particular case. Anyone have a good or bad doctor in the Hilton Head, SC area. But this all stinks. I am being told to have major surgery with all the risks and pain, and recovvery time to fix my pain free, well functioning body! Yes I know, after reading some of your problems, I am fortunate and wish you all the best in recoveries.
  • It is always good to get as many opinions as you can. You can also ask the nurses at the Hospital who is the best surgeon as they can be brutally honest and save you from going to the wrong one. It is interesting that you have no symptoms yet two surgeons have suggested surgery and there are those here in massive pain that can't get a Dr to believe them.
    I can tell you from experience that waiting for symptoms to get bad enough to drive you into a surgery can have life long consequences. My backpain started off and on back around 2001/2002 but couldn't get a deffinative this is whats causing it. I had one surgeon who wanted to operate but he couldn't pinpoint the cause of the pain. It wasn't until 2008 when i started loosing strength in my left arm and hand, and I'm left handed that I finally got the courage to go for surgery.
    Now I have been in chronic pain for over 5 years and facing 3 level cervical fusion in January and 3 level lumbar at some point in the future. There is no guarantee that had I had surgery earlier that I would be at the same point I am now.
    It appears you are being recommended due to cord compression, ask the surgeon what the dangers are of not having the surgery. Is there a real risk of paralysis from a simple fall? or would it take a major blow?
    You should be able to ask the surgeon how many procedures they performed and can look up on all sorts of sites where people grade their Dr. If the surgeon won't share with you their experience it's time to find a new surgeon.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
advertisement