Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

6 mos after 2Level Fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi All, I haven't posted in a looong time. Just wanted to give an update especially for those heading into this surgery and worried about the outcome.

I had a 2 level fusion at L4-S1 with rods and screws as well as a laminectomy 6 months ago.

After all the horror stories I heard, I was prepared for the worst but the pain was not that bad although once I returned home I definetly needed help. If you can plan to have different family members around for the 1st 4 weeks it will help a lot. The one thing I was not prepared for was the amount of time it takes to get back to "normal".

I consider my surgery a sucess as my pain is so much less than before, I am no longer crooked, and I had no complications. However I still have to take it easy and have not been able to return to work fulltime since the 12 hour days and 2 hours a day on the subway leaves me in pain and my back swells up. Although part time work and no subway ride and I'm fine. I am able to do most things at this point even walking several miles and short plane rides. I have had piriformus syndrome before and after surgery but PT and shots have almost completely gotten rid of that too.

I had my 6 month X-ray and I am about halfway fused but the doc was happy and the screws looked secure. So while things could be moving faster I am not in pain and am glad I did it. If any of you are heading into surgery please know that most people have great results and therefore don't post as much. I think my youngish age(30) and having top notch doctors helped too. Good luck to everybody and thanks for all the support I got back in the day!
advertisement

Comments

advertisement