Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi from uk and need advice please

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
:) Hi all

I am 36 and my name is Anna.

Recently I experienced the most awful pain on the back of /and right hand side of my neck. I woke a few weeks ago
with a stiff neck and by the night time it was becoming crampy so went to bed with co-dydramol.

In the early hours of the morning I woke with extreme cramp in that area and every time I even breathed surged again.
So called dr out and she gave me oramporph and diazepam.

Later in week had xray and physio. Physio helped ime got release the neck a bit as by now I was frozen left. :|

A few days later I woke yet again with the spasm and this time called an osteopath who worked wonders. I will be seeing her tomorrow.

Xrays revealed degenerative bone disease between C5/C6 and C6/C7. Dr said nothing at this stage could do. Great.

Probably due to me having being on prenisolone continually for years for severe asthma. So could well have weakened my bones he said. :(

Now I can turn my neck but its stiff and aches and cannot get comfy at night.
advertisement

Comments

• I had a neck problem years ago and took valium(diazapam) for 10 months then it went away on it's own. I have DDD also. I have no trouble now. Did you get an MRI yet? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • no further tests have been done,NHS and all LOL :W
    I think its being going on for a while as the same sided shoulder was really painful after I closed a garage door :?? I just thought it was a one of injury. But when this kicked off I also had pain in my shoulder and even over the top of my head into my eye :jawdrop:
  • I am so sorry to hear of your pain. Are you taking any meds to relieve the pain at all?
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H i am sorry to hear you are having chronic pain. ~X( please look around and make yourself at home! good luck with your pain treatments! =D> Jenny :)
  • hi anna,

i to am in the uk and the health system does stink,i to am 36yrs mother of 3.i have been getting treatment for my L-4/5 disc,last xmas i over done things physically and my neck/left arm/hand and little finger was numb and cold,the left side of my face was frozen feeling and above my eye was painful,the neck ache spread up towards back of my head,this was hard to explain to my G.P other than hot water being poured up my head,daft as that sounds i was in total agony.

i got sent to the local hospital for X-ray where it showed the neck disc intact and healthy but i knew it would take mri to tell inside diagnosis but i never got referral for that,i was sent home with prescript for diclofenic for inflamation which did help reduce the condition along with my tramadol and pregabalin(lyrica) but it spoilt our holiday time with me resting.i did recover until this week where i am now feeling this in my neck and hand.

i can understand how your feeling and i resepect how your not one for resting with 2 children,as i tell others around me who take my physical health for granted is "i might look agile but i am really fragile so handle me with more care"
    but when it comes to meeting my childrens needs i really over do it just so that i dont feel a failure but they do listen and understand me more now that i have talked to them at a child level,i have learnt to deligate some chores to them and that helps us regroup.

karen
  • Hi, I am from the UK too and keep asking my GP about a MRI but it's not going to happen, the doc says he would only consider it if surgery was an option, which it is not. I would like one done just to get a clearer picture of what is going on in my back.
    I really hope you feel better soon.
  • Hi Angel,
    are you aware that you can request a refferal to either a neuro surgeon or an orthopaedic surgeon so as obtain a more specific opinion about your condition. Primarily your Gp is not the doctor who holds the key to accessing an MRI.

An MRI scan does not have to be done on the basis of the reqirement of surgery or not. It is also done so as to obtain a clearer picture of anatomical changes that physio may need to be aware of prior to treatment.

You can also ask to see another GP for a second opinion. Hope this helps
    Best wishes
    Dawnie
    UK
advertisement