Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

constant pain

saliquessalique Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Management
Hi
it's been a while since I have posted anything. I have been feeling very alone and withdrawn, which I know isn't god. I am crying all the time and in constant pain. The way I am right now is not the way one should be everyday. I go to pool pt, doctors and to accupunture, other then that I am home and in constant pain, my back lower and upper and my right side of neck and feel so alone:(

I am on several meds, baclofen, naproxen, quinine, ultracet and and pain killer gel for my back . It has been two years since one of my surgeries and 3 since ethe other. I have had 2 fusions L5S1 and L2/3 and one microdisectomy, several steriods shots and hospital visits. The doctors say there is nothing mor ethey can do for me, they say I have what is called failed back syndrome. I haven't worked in two years, in constant pain, very sad and down and just don't know what to do anymore. Any help, advise, suggestions I would be greatly give me some encouragement, right now I just feel so alone.
Thanks for your helping and reading this
-Salique
advertisement

Comments

• Do you have a pain management Dr? Maybe due for another injection. Don't give up. Make a routine for yourself to follow everyday. Walk for 15 minutes a day or whatever you can do. Do your heat, shower make some small goals. Find a hobby something that makes you smile. Try to find other Doctors in your area and get some more opinions for your condition. You can't do it all in one day nor can you just give up in one day. There are many people like you here and find strength even just to journal and express yourself. Most people who have chronic pain are on amitriptyline used for nerve pain and depression. Have you tried that? This in no way medical advice and only a Dr. can prescribe pain or any meds. This is just from my experience as another person with chronic pain. I know you've heard advice like this before but just wanted to remind you, you are important and matter. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Salique,
    I haven't posted on this site for ever, but when I saw your post I had to. I was also diagnosed with Fail Fusion Syndrome and I know in how much pain you are in. It is hard to be in pain 24/7, but you need to learn how to live with your pain, I know is not easy........... but this is what I have learn to do. I take a walk every single day, sometimes I can do a mile, sometimes not even a block, but I make the point of getting up and walk every single day. I learned to meditate to relief the stress that all the pain causes me on a daily basis. I have a great PM Doctor that helps me out with good medications and trigger point injections. I've had 4 surgeries within this past year and there is nothing more that the medical community can do for me, so I have learned to live with my pain. Depression has also set in for me, so and I am getting help with that (anti-depressants and talk therapy). So I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone, just try to get the help that you need to be able to go on and things will get better for you. OK? God bless

Millie
  • there are lots of members here that struggle with constant pain just like you do. There is usually someone here to talk to anytime that you want or need to. Good luck in finding some relief and please keep us posted.
  • Salique, are the Dr,s giving you a pain medicine?? I mean a long acting med. like morphine or methadone?? it seems half the country gets opiates and half anti-depresents and neurontin....just reading what people get for pain meds is suprising..my beleif is a complete balanced approach....from Dr. to biofeed back to pt to classes,,I'm lucky to get long acting morphine,,no breakthrought meds. i can barley hold on. maybe, you need something stronger. jpm
  • sorry your suffering so much. >:D<
    there are people like you everywhere. all shapes and forms.
    so your not alone even if it feels like it at times , i know i have been there.
    iv learned to accept my issues and keep going.
    can i work? NO thats out of the picture right now.
    will i give up?? NO never nothing will overbeat me.

you said you had injections etc. usually only pain managment does them. so does yours RX long acting meds to??
    like the others said mabye that should be your next step.
    you also say "failed back syndrome" did you not fuse??? or the surgery did just not work??
    i did not fuse and had surgery re done this year. im still in alot of pain. but i have other issues going on, so i won't fuse till that is taken care of this month.

hang in there, try to do what you can like mentioned. shower, heat/ice keep up on the meds and routine your on now. try to make the best of it, till your able to find the "right dr" that can get you on the right treatment. ;)

take care
    terri O:) O:) >:D<
  • Sorry you have to be this way, and there are many here who suffer alongside with you. Just like a cardiac patient may need hearts meds or a pacemaker for life, so similar is our situation. All of us have to learn to live differently, by making adjustments of how we do things, and find ways to cope through daily struggles. But at least we'll have some level of function. I may or may not get better, and I might wind up with a pump a few months down the road, but instead of feeling like a failure, I have to look at it differently. I have another option to help me with my pain. Maybe your doctor might think a neurostimulator or a morphine pump is appropriate for you. It is a recommended treatment for FBSS.
  • Hi
    I apologize for not responding to everyone sooner. I have been extremely bad back and leg pain, very depressed, withdrawn and sleeping a lot. I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and good wishes. It really means a lot to me that I am not alone and that people care about me. I hope everyone is doing well and you are in my thoughts.:)

I wanted to ask you all if anyone knows of a group that meets in person for some sort of talking therapy for chronic pain, back pain or failed back surgery syndrome? I live in NY and I think meeting in person might be helpful.
    Thank you again
    Salique
  • Meydey wrote the post I was planning on writing. A spinal cord stimulator can be indicated if your pain is nerve pain. And then, there's the pump which is recommended for FBSS so there are still avenues for pain relief. Most of us feel a little isolated because of our pain. I work full time and whereas its very difficult physically, it gets me out of the house and gets my mind off my pain. Mostly, however, I have found friends here. Friends to whom I need to offer no explanations, who understand what I'm going through, who respond with kindness and (last but not least) are all conveniently located. Just pour yourself a cup of coffee, plug in and you've got friends. Susan

• Good Morning Salique,
    I'm truly sorry you're feeling so rough! It changes your life, and even your personality I think. As several people have said,keeping to a routine of some sort will help alot. Even for depression,a routine and small goals can make you feel much better. I guess it's because you feel in control.I don't really have any advice, I'm a mess too! But knowing I'm not the only one sure does help! I live in Nevada and having lots of sunshine is my saving grace. I tried living in Montana and ALL of my issues became worse. So maybe you need some SUN! And some hugs too. I hope you feel better.....have a good day....I'll be thinking of you as I hobble off to work! Sagehen
advertisement