Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain physician panic

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Hi, I'm new here, and feel the need for some camaraderie to deal with a current situation. I have severe back pain when I have to stand up, so that pretty much stops a million things on the 'to do' list of life at this point. I am on ssd for 3 yrs and am a young 62. I was given a pain killer for terrible leg pain as a reaction to the drug 'levaquin' and I finally had some blissful relief! I took it for two months and I even painted our stockade fence! I thought about it long and hard, knowing about the potential for addiction with the Norco. I made my mind up that at this age I want to be comfortable and more productive at this stage of my life. The problem is I went to a pain dr., and there were signs all over the office that they do not treat with narco's for any long term care, they do procedures only. I asked her to help me and she declined then when I insisted she gave me ultracet, 2 at a time, and they did not work AT ALL! I have to go in for an appointment this afternoon for all my emg and mri results and I need something to take and am feeling desperate at this point: WHAT SHOULD I SAY to get her to treat me for pain? I thought it was a patient's right for pain relief! She even has a sign in her treatment rooms telling patients they are entitled to pain relief. Her dr husband gave me the emg's and I asked him, also, and he said they don't do narcotics. How should I handle this? If my back were not bad I would never have gotten onto disability in a few months. HELP!
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. There are so many ways to treat pain, since you are going back to find out the results of the EMG and MRI today, the pain doc will have a better idea of how to treat you. Narcotics help many, but they are not the one and only answer all of the time. Why not give this doc a chance to prove whether or not she can control your pain effectively. Be honest with her today and let her know that what she gave you last time didn't work. Honesty is the best policy in pain management.

"C"
  • Welcome enchantress :H

You can look online for pain doctors in your area, and hopefully they'll have a website that tells their treatment plans and conditions. That way you won't waste time and money going from doctor to doctor. You want to find an integrative clinic where they do different things, not just injections. Make sure they are board certified anesthesiologists; I think it's best. There are places out there that offer medicine, injections, procedures, psychiatry, and physical therapy.
  • If she is not able to give you pain relief than find a new doc. She may change her mind if the other options fail. I have been in offices like what you describe and sometimes I think it is to discourage people that are only looking for meds. After all of the other treatments are tried and fail they may change their tune. Drug seekers are not going to go through all of the other procedures if all they want is drugs. Not sure if this is the case with your doc or not. My GP has signs all over his office but now that I have been with him a few years he has no problem prescribing to me. It may be that you have to build their trust.Good luck.