Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF 4 Level Nov 17th C3-4,4-5,5-6,6-7

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So here I am after 6 weeks of reading these boards ready to post about my upcoming surgery. My neck does not hurt in the way that I have read of pain from others, but my fingers do not have the feeling it used. Such as, I feel as though I am touching everything with winter gloves on and the strange tingling in them that is unique. Loss of strength in both hands. I fractured my wrist last Sept 2007 and it has healed beautifully. I fell on my hand and the damn thing was broken in 5 places. I had an external fixator put in along with drilled holes in the hand and forearm and pins.

Lost more feeling in the hand after a fall in April where I fell on my right side and hit the ground right shoulder first. And from there, things started getting worse in the right side. An orthopedist sent me for an MRI and said lets do an EMG. Pinched nerve in neck and right ulna. I was scheduled for an epidural on Sept 25th, so the doc wanted to make sure there was enough space for the cervical epidural, so he sent me to a neurosurgeon who gave me the news on Sept 24th that has changed all of our worlds, you need surgery on your neck.

Three discs are pushing, pressing and have bent my spinal cord at C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 into an "S" shape, and told me no surgery, I would end up in a wheelchair. Since that idea is not fun, after 4 more opinions of which 3 said the same thing, surgery within a month, I am having it done on Nov 17th.

The NS wants to do a 4 level ACDF with autograft. He might need to do posterior instrumentation if necessary and possibly a corpectomy. He told me I would wake up in intensive care and then go to rehab which I do want since at home, my roommate has limited ability to truly help me.

I spent the weeks reading 4000 or so message on this board and other boards, learning and reading. I got my recliner from a friend last Saturday and it is an electric one with a lift. Got my 12 inch bed wedge yesterday. Getting the shower massage and other stuff this week and early next week. Got some button down shirts and will set up the rest of the apartment for dressing and all that other stuff next week. Next week, the last time I will cock my head in those fun endearing positions which are so a part of my personality.

So tell me, how is your week going. Mine is exiting the depression stage of grief and looking back on denial and entering what the hell, this is it. Life is never gonna be the same.

advertisement

Comments

• I wish you all the success for the surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi Bronx. I've been lofting on this board for weeks too and finally posted. My surgery is the same day as yours -- but mine is only a 2-level.

We can be recovery buddies!!!!

I've been struggling with the fear and worry lately . . . but I realize it's because I'm a control freak and I'm gonna lose control of EVERYTHING in my life for a short period of time. I need to give it up and move on . . . and take care of myself so I can recover and return to controlling everything!!!

Blessings, Bronx. I'll be thinking about you.