Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

WHy am I hurting so bad

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Ive tried vicoden 7.5 and oxycodone 5 for BT meds. For me the vocoden is more effective but lately, none of my pain meds are working. Ive been in some serious pain for almost a month now ( since my Dr changed the vico to oxy. EVen my oxycontin isnt doing the trick. Weve had bad weather all week and I went back to work so im sure thats part of it. I see my PM nov 19th. Is there anything I should suggest? I need to increase the dose but should I try another BT med this soon? Sorry if I have been posting so much. I really cant do anything else when Im home except lay in bed with my friends at Spine Health.
advertisement

Comments

• I hope you're using some heat for the pain. My Dr. just increased my pain meds today. There's no way I can go back to work. Are you ready? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You can post as much as you want~I certainly do,and I understand ;)) I can't answer about the oxycontin not working or the oxycodone,as I've never had either,but I would just tell my Dr exactly how I felt.Perhaps if you explain how you feel,and ask him if he has any suggestions?

Your work and the weather are both surely contributing factors increasing your pain.I don't work outside the home,but what difference where one works right?Even sitting doing the books for the house which takes me about 2 hrs every two weeks causes a great deal of strain and added pain in my cervicle area,not to mention the physical work that I do around here.I'm sure it's the same-but different with all of us at different levels.

Any added work related stress could make your pain worse.Good luck with your appt.

• ...good old Dilaudid? It's a morphine dirivitve (opioid) but a bit different compound, as the molecule that makes most people sick from morpine alone is removed...so you get really good pain relief w/o the nausea.

I can't take any codeine-type stuff (vicodin, etc) & get sick from even some OTC stuff...but for my fusion, my NS suggested dilaudid & man oh man, was it great! You might want to try just a small amount (I took the 2 mg, which is very "weak") & see if it helps.

And yes, the WEATHER can really affect your pain, esp if you have any arthritis, etc. And any spine surgery makes arthritis worse, so you're double pain. And sitting & stress are contributing factors too.

One thing at a time! Reduce your over-all misery 1st (with a good pain pill) & see if the other stuff settles down too.

Ice/heat & BioFreeze (topical gel) works too. But the dilaudid saved me from jumping into the lake....!

~Lakeside
  • Hense the lake SIDE =))
  • have you here and read your posts. I think that sometimes reading of others pain helps to distract me from my own a little. If that makes any sense. Feel free to post as often as you like. I enjoy hearing from you.
  • :) dmoonchild, it sounds like your meds just are not working for you. :? Dilaudid is a really good med for breakthrough pain. it is short acting but very effective. talk to your meds doctor as soon as you can. it is pretty obvious when our meds are just not working and it is time for a change. the weather can make you feel even more miserable so adequate pain relief becomes more important. good luck and post away!! <:P Jenny :)
advertisement