Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

recurrent herniation after sugery, it's only been 3 months!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Since I was 16 years old I have dealt with severe lower back pain. I have done massage, PT, oral steroids, steroid injections, chiro treatments, and finally 3 months ago a lower lumber discectomy. Initially I was feeling pretty good and felt hopeful that this was the solution to my problems. Two weeks ago I began feeling some pain in my upper legs. I have been working with my PT to relive, two days ago i reherniated the same discs where I had surgery. I had an MRI with and without contrast to confirm this. I am now going back to my ortho surgeron on Tuesday to talk about the next option. WHAT IS THE NEXT OPTION!!! He is telling me possible more surgery of the same that I had before. I was hoping to hear from people with similar experiences and what they did. I am only 30 years old and feel pretty scared at what my future holds with these continuing problems. ~X( ~X(

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
advertisement

Comments

• I feel for you. I hope you get some good answers.

My question to the surgeon will be this...why do another disectomy when first one failed? How long releif are you supposed to get? What are your other chioces?

Good Luck
  • jamih77 said:

Since I was 16 years old I have dealt with severe lower back pain. I have done massage, PT, oral steroids, steroid injections, chiro treatments, and finally 3 months ago a lower lumber discectomy. Initially I was feeling pretty good and felt hopeful that this was the solution to my problems. Two weeks ago I began feeling some pain in my upper legs. I have been working with my PT to relive, two days ago i reherniated the same discs where I had surgery. I had an MRI with and without contrast to confirm this. I am now going back to my ortho surgeron on Tuesday to talk about the next option. WHAT IS THE NEXT OPTION!!! He is telling me possible more surgery of the same that I had before. I was hoping to hear from people with similar experiences and what they did. I am only 30 years old and feel pretty scared at what my future holds with these continuing problems. ~X( ~X(

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
  • i've had the same problem for about 5 yrs.. i had surgery for the same thing. i went thru and had the 1st surgery thru and ortho.. didnt work i felt the same no feeling down the leg. sometimes so bad my whole right side would lock up on me..started to go for cortizone injections that would give me some relief but not for a long time. i kept going back and telling the first surgeon that i was not feeling any different and for me to only be 25 what was i gonna do.. i already had a daughter but wanted another in which he advised me against.. but i had another anyway.. well a yr after my second daughter was born i was feeling worse and had another episode with spasm went and had more injections and another mri and this time went to see a neurosurgeon.. was scheduled for surgery immediately finding out that i had also had a bone fragment that was lodged into a nerve.. oops.. well needless to say i had great relief after that.. went back to doing my job as a cater which requires alot of long hrs on my feet and lifting.. also being a mother there is no time for rest.. i was 30 when i had the second surgery.. i am now 31 exactly a yr later and going thru the same thing again and sometimes for days can not move.. its hard i had to give up my job and drop some of the kids activities.. and i had an mri done which my disc is almost gone now.. it was referred to as " wearing out of the brake pad" i am scheduled for more cortizone injections and looking forward to a fusion.. i sympathize with you.. maybe you should try a neuro bcuz i truly feel if i wouldnt of went back to the same job i wouldnt be so bad off now..
  • Seems like I've heard this before with a lot of people on here, but a lot of them end up getting fusion surgery if a discectomy fails.
advertisement