Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusion/synovial cyst L4-5 SURGERY Nov.20th- freaking out!!!

VickiVVicki Posts: 57
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I too am having my 2nd fusion in 15 years. The last one was a nightmare, they used my own hip bone for the fusion.Still hurts all these years since. This time the Dr. swears he won't do that. I have such left leg pain from the cyst that I havent been mobile now for 10 days. I can't believe all the horror stories but that must be the reality. I'm in for it.I lierally count the days until the 20th- sick huh? Thats how much pain I'm in. Taking vicodin and that really doesnt cut the nerve pain one bit. The valium keeps me calm- if thats possible!!! Any ideas for nerve pain meds. I have no quality of life at all and I'm scared and depressed. Surgery originally was the 13th but got moved to the 20th. I wasn't thrilled with yet another 7 days of pain. I can see there have been suggestions of extreme laying flat and taking it very slow once the procedure and pain is done. What am I REALLY looking towards with regard to my recovery. TRUTH only! I have read they dont use "demerol" pumps anymore. What's the best I should request?? I just can't catch a break. I used to be a very young 56 yr old. Rock and roll, the Stones, partying.... now look at me! A LITTLE OLD LADY. HELP!!!!!
advertisement

Comments

• hi vicki, don' freak out :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    its normal to feel anxious because your last surgery did not seem to go well for you.
    things have advanced so much in the last 15yrs. you should do just fine.
    in the pain pumps they usually do morphine or diluidid. i personally do best with the diluidid it does not make me sick and gives me adequate pain relief.

as for nerve pain they use lyrica now and i think there may be a couple others out there. it takes a few weeks to work of course, so mabye ask your dr about that.

yes laying flat, resting and walking is all your going to be able to do for a little while. sitting up 15 min a hour in a straight back chair. all drs are different in that dept. its going to get boring thats a given.
    so make sure you have books. make sure you have everything you will need next to ya. meds etc. last yr i slept on the couch for 3 weeks till i migrated to my bed. so i did not disturb anyone else. as sleep sometimes is also a given. lots of pillows!!!!
    anything that is going to make you comfortable. take your meds on time. i learned the hard way and so have many others. sometimes we feel like we don't need them and then BOOM its hard to get the pain undercontrol again. its not real bad pain. i think its more being sore and uncomfortable.
    should be nothing like pre op pain i will keep my fingers crossed on that one for ya!! ;) ;)
    in the hospital the physical therapy dept will go over things for home. as in a commode/grabber all that fun PT stuff. as there will be no bending , twisting or lifting.
    you may have a brace?? not sure on that one.
    your going to want lots of ice packs. i got the gel reusuable ones i found the best. they feel so good on the incision. i used heat on my legs and upper back.

here is a link to post op must haves. its a HUGE list. i only needed like 5 things from it. but its just a complied list of things people have used.

http://www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0

plus read through our recovery stories and hospital stays. not each person will have the same outcome or recovery time.

GOOD LUCK WITH SURGERY >:D< >:D< >:D< O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • Thank you SO much for ur RSVP. Yes I'm bugging out. Have a commode/wheel chair/ pickerupper the works. Ive also checked out the surgical items to get b4 and after. Its just so grueling day after day. week after week to get to the darn surgery date. I'm just tired- emotionally for sure, and physically/shot. Enuf already!!!!~ nothing can be worse than waiting, in pain, scared and disgusted.
    Gotta love those kidney stones, huh? Been there numerous times. Now that's PAIN!
    Best in your recoveries. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger- I hope-lol.
    Best,
    Vicki
  • ...with Terri regarding the dilaudid for post op pain...and if you are prone to nausea, try Zofran w/ it. They can give you the dilaudid in a patient-controlled pump, then go to pills once you can keep down liquids. Valuim is the Gold Standard for muscle spasms & keeps you feeling more relaxed too, which helps calm things down.

I was on diluaid/Zofran/Valuim in the hosp & then at home---smooth sailing all the way. It may just be the ticket for you also.

Also, b/c you are WAITING now, which I also had to do, your mind is running over-time. Try to concentrate on the positive results of your surgery: the cyst gone, the fusion in place, the pain less (eventually) and your life back on track. I know the pain a synovial cyst can cause...mine was lodged against my L4/5 nerve root & the resulting sciatic nerve & leg pain was just awful....but I woke up pain-free (in that area...) so think about that relief. And talk to your doc ahead of time about everything on your mind...she or he may have some pertinent suggestions while you wait & for afterwards. Like not using your own iliac- hip marrow (I agree--that whole area hurt like the dickens afterwards for a long time!!) & perhaps some other pain-saving methods, etc to put you at ease until the 20th.

You'll be in my thoughts! Come here anytime for support! May I ask if your new fusion will be at the same level? But if you'd rather not talk about that, sorry. Just curious. You sound like one strong lady! :)

~Lakeside
  • I, too, had cysts removed and fusion surgery. Neurotin really stopped the pain in my butt and legs before surgery, and it has not come back. I feel for you sweetie! Been there, done that! You should have no leg pain after the surgery, at least I didn't. Incision pain, yes.
  • Hi Vicki, I know it is hard but the thing you need to be doing above anything else is to stay positive and keep affirming how wonderful life will be after the surgery.

If you start worrying about not having enough pain meds etc then that is what you will end up with. As you would have learned from reading posts here, everyone is different so you need to speak up early if you are not having enough and then just let the staff deal with it.

So start visualising your new life and how you want it to be then keep that positive picture in your mind.
    Then, keep yourself as busy as possible while you are waiting.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement