Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm back from surgery C6/C7 (m)...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Wow, it's Sat. My surgery was Thursday at 7:30 am. I stayed one night in the hospital and came home last evening. I am not doing so well, i'm very nauseated and very very sore. My NS went in and found my MRI was not true at all. He described it as going in and pulling the disk out from C6/C7 and when hepulled it out it was like one long boogar ;) yay, that's what he said. The disk was copletely disintegrated and completely ruined. He said I must have torn it at some point. There was nothing left of it in its normal shape at all. Then because my vertebrae were kind of soft and healthy which he said they were supposed to be he didn't want to use such a hard cadaver bone. he chose to use the PEAK cage system (don't know what that is yet, i have to look that up at some point). He filled it with my bone marrow I guess.

It still has to fuse. Havne't even wnated a smoke, YUK. I was so nauseated all day on Thursday. Friday I wasn't to bad, but againt oday I am very bad. I think it's the drugs, nots ure. But vomiting toda was not good, it hurt. And wow, I had no idea it would hurt this much. The pain in my arm is gone though and so far, no burning feet So, I just need to get through this recovery period which is very rough on me right now. No fevers, but I feel as though I am sweating constantly. I can't eat much. The most I've gotten down toda is one small ice cream cup and one 1/2 pudding cup and a couple of bites of fruit.

I'd better go now. I jsut wnated to give you a quick update. Thanks for all the well wishes and such. Oh and the nS also said, it was good thing we decided to do this when we did, it was "very bad in there".

Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• What are you taking for the nausea? Hope you're feeling better and heal quickly. Thanks for the update. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • first glad your home =D>
    second call the oncall dr to get a script called in for the nausea. its a given with a cervical cause of the muscles in your throat being cut etc. plus all those IV meds/anesthetic are wearing off.
    throwing up is not good with the neck OUCH. so call when you see this please. they might give you RX anti nausea meds as you need nutrition. and compazine to help with the vomiting if that continues. what did they give you for post op meds?? meds and a empty belly sometimes spell out YUKKKK.

drink:
    lots of ice cold water
    drinkable yogurts (if you like yogurt)
    lots of ice cream shakes (vanilla) will calm your belly and coat it for the meds.
    i would stay away from the soda due to the carbonation in it. mabye try ginger ale with the bubbles stirred out same as if you had the flu. carbonation/nausea do not mix well.
    soup broth
    freeze pops/popcicles
    pudding like you already have. the thin liquids i found easier.

=D> =D> =D> on smoking =D> =D> =D> =D> it does help not feeling well and being in the hospital. i hope that keeps up for ya, if not remember we are here and i am going through the same issue right now. >:D< >:D<

hang in there girly girl you will feel better before you know it.
    O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • Yea! <:P I promise it gets better. I wasn't really mentally prepared for the pain either. I lived on pudding cups for a week. Well that and tomato soup and to be honest I never want to eat either of them ever again. I'm glad you don't want to smoke that's plus. Sorry about the nausea. Did they not give you anything for it? I have to take Phergan because of my intolerance for pain meds. I'll be curious to see how it works out for you with the cage. I've heard some very promising stories about it as opposed to the cadaver bone fusion. So I would like to hear how you progress. I'm just glad you're home and it's over. Keep us updated when you feel better.
  • Welcome home Cindy. Hang in there it will get better. I am a lumbar Spiney, but I have a Peek cage. Peek is a radiolucent polymer(kinda like plastic)but it is very strong. It usually has a couple dot markers on it so they can see it on xray, otherwise it is invisible. Hope you feel better soon. >:D< Sue
    http://www.medcompare.com/spotlight.asp?spotlightid=128
  • So glad you're home! Please be good to yourself. Hope your tummy settles down soon.
advertisement