Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Prescribed dose not effective!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Pain Medications
Hi there,

I am post-op day 9 from a 2-level ACDF (with autograft). I was discharged home after 1 night. At discharge, I was given a prescription for Percocet 1-2 tabs every 6 hours as needed. I had to see the MD 4 days post-op because I developed a fever. For pain management, he switched me to Vicodin 1-2 tabs every six hours. That dose was not enough.

On Friday, when I called the office for my first refill, the order was called in for 1 Vicodin every six hours. This has not been adequate for pain control! :S I am in a great deal of pain today and of course, it is the weekend. I have an appointment for suture/ staple removal on Monday and plan to discuss this with the MD. Whenever we discuss pain medication, he makes me feel like I am not personally managing my pain effectively.

I do not want to rely on pain medication, but strongly feel I need it right now and in a higher dose than my surgeon is prescibing. Any suggestions on what to say?

Thanks,
Elle
advertisement

Comments

• Being honest is all you can do. If you try to same something different than what you feel in your gut, it will come out wrong and make the doctor suspicious.

"C"
  • That's exactly right.

I always tell people to be honest..what you said here sounds perfectly reasonable and only 9 days..well,I have never had surgery on my spine and have nothing to compare that to.I can only imagine that it would be slightly less pain each day,but as I said I've never been in your situation.

Was your fever due to infection?That can cause more pain from what I understand.
  • sorry your suffering.
    how many did they send you home with???
    9 days thats REAL early.
    yes drs these days hate us on meds etc.
    im 7 wks post op spinal fusion and my ortho is letting go my pain managment to. i have to go to my personal physican.

so mabye that is a option for you also.
    caling your pcp.

also ask why they did that when you call.
    i certainly am monday. why they are discharging my pain control so early.

so be straight with them etc. you need your pain under control to recover.

good luck to you!!
  • The hospital here has a protocol set up that the patients are discharged with 10 days of pain meds. They feel that most post op pain will be resolved by then and any that isn't, the patient needs to contact their doc.

I hope that you are able to get some help on Monday.

"C"
  • Wow! I wish my pain was resolved within 10 days!

My hip is hurting so much where they did the bone graft and the back of my neck is now sore down past my shoulder blades. I also think my right shoulder may have been injured from positioning in the OR. I never, ever had pain there before the surgery and today it is unbearable.

I seriously have not slept for more than 45 minutes in a row since the surgery. I have never been in this much pain before, for any reason. :??
  • I had a discectomy last year and could not imagine being taken off pain meds at 10 days. I hope that you do not have a problem with your doc understanding your pain levels. They certainly know that it is much harder to recover while dealing with pain. Good luck.
  • Just an update...

My MD did give me another refill for the Vicodin and added Neurontin 3 times/ day. I am hoping it helps :S
  • The neurontin should be very helpful. I was on Norco 10 and Soma after my discectomy for 3 months post op. My Norco was cut back to 7.5, and then after I was sent to PM. I'm so glad I have their support since I had my 2 level fusion with hardware.
    I can't believe they would have a protocol of 10 days after invasive back surgery. :jawdrop:
  • Hi Elle, i've dealt with a total of 18 different doctors over a decade and 5 surgeries. And what i've found is that some doctors will work on you and then they're done with you and won't help anymore. In the past i was in the same situation and said "This pain med is not enough to make me comfortalbe, i'm not drug seeking. I just want to be comfortable." and they sometimes will up the dose. If they wouldn't, i would ask them for a doctor that would help me. That's a kind of jab at them, but it's the truth. It's their job, plain and simple. Help me or direct me to someone who will. No one should live a life like that.

Bill
  • I cannot imagine having only a 10-day supply of pain medication after surgery! I was given a 30-day supply of percocet before leaving the hospital. It did NOTHING for my pain however...it was changed to Vicodin and that didn't help either. Finally, the doc told me to double the amount I was taking (up to 2 tablets every 6 hours). This helped alleviate most of my pain, but there were times when I took the next dose after only 5 hours.

I hope you are feeling much better by now. <:P
advertisement