Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI tomorrow YUCKY!!! Results!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am booked in for an MRI tomorrow. I know it is only minor but I really hate these more then anything.
I am having it to check why I still have pain and numbness in my feet so I know it is worth while having.

I will try to visualise being in a healing temple while I am in there but there is nothing you can do to cut out the noise. ~X(

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement

Comments

• aww my darlin you have earned the right to complain!! :H :H
    i don't like them much myself, but do they give you earplugs?? they do here and it helps block out the loud banging. they are foam. :T :T
    we even have a hospy that has earphones with music!! how cool is that one lol
    what area is the MRI in?? they usually don't take long.
    plus maksure they give you a pillow for under your knees and a blanky. i always ask for 2 blankets. why its freezing in there to this day i will never know and i asked and asked!! :/ :?
    you will make it through and it will be over before ya know it. i sure hope it gives answers . if not will they be doing a mylogram?

lots of love
    terri O:) >:D< >:D<
  • I look at it as an excuse for taking a nap. Since I will either wear scrubs or sweats and have them pull a sheet up for me, it's quite comfy. Stick the ear plugs in, depending on how much I hurt at the time I will even have them secure my arms so I don't accidentally move.

You don't have to have your eyes open, so with them closed and the sounds muffled, it's like being wrapped and stuffed into a safe and secure place.

Take whatever pain meds you are allowed ahead of time and just relax.

"C"
  • Sorry you have to go through another MRI. They're terrible and I too feel like it's the worst part of all of this.

What I did to keep myself calm is concentrate on breathing slowly and I counted each breath. It to 96 breaths for most of the tests :))(

Don't know why that helped, but it did. I also had earplugs, but no music.

Take care and it will be over before you know it.
  • I have a problem with being in a confined space like that, so I have them put a papertowel over my face. That way, if I open my eyes, I only see the towel and not the unit above. I think I'm a little crazy on this one.

Hope they find out what is causing your pain...you've had enough for a lifetime already. Many hugs to you!
  • The MRI center I've used puts headsets over your ears and plays music. You just close your eyes, enjoy the comfort and fall asleep. The only concern I had was twitching and moving, but I've never had a problem. (Then again, I fall asleep when someone cuts my hair...easy for me.)

By the way, how does one change their profile to explain their history and put up a picture? I've looked in My Account and couldn't edit much...Everyone here seems to have a picture up. Please let me know. Thanks,

AJ
  • TerriJV said:
    i always ask for 2 blankets. why its freezing in there to this day i will never know and i asked and asked!! :/ :?
    >:D< >:D<
    I was told it is cold in there because the machines could overheat due to the friction of the magnets. In the confined space the heat could cause some people to have issues as well.
  • I also use an eye cover, usually a washcloth and ear plugs. I wish I could go through it fo you but I am a little busy tomorrow with me 360! Ask for some valium before you have it and bring a driver and it should be better.
  • Do you have any open air MRI's near you? If your doctor knows they bother you, he may be able to get "permission" for this. I have had 2 open MRI's, my OS has one in his office, and it is so much better for me. I have fallen asleep during these. I didnt find the tight space bothersome but between my shoulders and my chest I had a hard time when the machine shifted.
  • Yep, I never knew I was claustrophobic until I went in the MRI. This last one in March I just prayed the whole time. It calmed me down and kept me busy. I had ear plugs. The music would be so cool though, guess they must have all plastic headphones or something. Now I have heard the open MRI's don't give as good of pictures, not sure why. My mom has to have the open cause she literally doesn't fit in the regular tube. They tried it once and it burned her arm. Anyway, good luck Sara, it will be over before you know it. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Thanks for your support I got some great ideas here.
    I have forund a set of airline goggles, you know the sleep ones you get when you fly and will put it on before I go into the tube. I also found some ear plugs (thanks again to the airlines)so will take that too. In the past I have taken music that they will pipe in but it cant really be heard over the thud thud thud.

Shell, I have never heard of an open air MRI- that sounds liek a good option. I do kn ow I can get though this fine, probably the thought is worse.
    The last one I had was at a different place and they put me in feet first which was great but this place doen not do that as I asked already.
    I will take a valium, lots of emergency essence and get mum to pick me up. They said it would take about 40 mins.

Terri, yes the Dr said if this wasn't conclusive he would look at doing a mylogram. The problem is that will all the hardware it is not so easy to see things.

'C' great thoughts! I would try for a nap but that is when I get the jerking pains and i might mess it up if that happens. I go to sleep at the dentists (that is tomorrow)

again thanks everyone for your support.
    Blessings and big hugs Sara O:)
  • Ok, thankfully it is over and done with. Actually as I put the blindfold on before I went in it wasn't nearly as bad as I had remembered.
    SO the results- yep had to look as the O/S wont see the films for a week- well it seems to me to be pretty unconclusive. Said I have bulge at L2-3 but no stenosis there.

Kept talking about artifacts making it difficult to clearly see but didn't see any sign of central canal stenosis.
    So why the numbness????

Oh well I will have to ask the Dr next week.

Thanks again
    Sara O:)
advertisement