Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Introducing Myself

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:24 AM in New Member Introductions
My name is Jeff, I'm 24yrs old, licensed 100-ton master crewboat capt, i'm a Louisiana transplant living in mississippi now due to hurricane Katrina. On march 16 2008 my life was altered due to a negligent and inexperienced relief captain on the crewboat i was runnin offshore in the Gulf of mexico, i now have a ruptured L5-S1, I've had physical therapy, which only made me hurt worse, I've had a epidural shot that gave me absolutely 0% relief, and last monday I had a discogram that I'm still tryin to recover from, since I've had that I've been in constant pain, and I struggle just to get up three steps on my front porch to get into my house. Due to being hurt on the job, I've filed suit against my employed under federal act of the Jones Act. My neuro surgeon recommend a level one fusion with bone cages, i guess thats what they call them, he said he would cut me open from the stomach, after looking at pictures of the hardware, I have to admit that this is startin to scare the shit out of me, but I already know that I'll probably wont be able to go back offshore again, can't be runnin no boat in 6-12ft seas gettin tossed around after i have surgery, I've been told i will be well compensated at settlement. What do I need to know for whats really in store for me in the future once I get this surgery, and what is the recovery like, what % disability am I likely to recieve from this ? How long is the recovery time ? How long before i can start driving ? I'm single so should i move in with my parents so I can have someone watch me and take care of while i recover, I have both parents that are retired and financially stable. I'm at the point where surgery is in my near future and its really starting to scare me.... Any input is very much appreicated. Anyone on here is more than welcome to reply on here or send me a email. CaptJJ_01@yahoo.com
advertisement

Comments

• You may want to check our surgery section to speak to others that have had a fusion. I know that there is no BLT (bending, lifting, twisting) for quite some time afterwards but the time probably depends on how your recovery is going. Good luck.
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum. :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have certainly been through alot in the last few years. i was born in Louisiana myself. you have come to a great place to make friends and get more comfortable with your upcoming surgery. =D> have you gotten a second opinion? that is really a good idea! good luck! check out "Back and Neck Surgery" forum for some more input. also read the "Good News" forum for a read of successful SH surgeries. see you around! Jenny :)