Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

FREE Ortho-Fix Bone Stimulator Plus 1 Year Update

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had surgery December 17 of last year. Isthmic Spondylolisthesis with bilateral pars defect at both levels. Planned for 1 level l5-s1. Wound up being 2 level l4-s1. PLIF with PEEK interbody fusion at l5-s1. Disc retained at l4. Grafting material from removed pars defect and supplemented by BMP.

Successful Fusion. Pain Reduced by 95%+. I plan to go back to skiing this year. 1st ski day Thanksgiving weekend!!!

For someone in need, meaning without insurance coverage or alternate means to pay for a bone stimulator. I offer my orthofix bone stimulator for free. Cost is approximately $5k to buy. I will package it up and mail it to you. If you have a planned lumbar spinal fusion it is likely you will need this device. It will need to be reprogrammed to your doctors specifications which I am sure he/she can arrange. Website below...

http://www.orthofix.com/products/spine_spinalstim.asp?cid=25

Please respond here or send me a message if you are interested...
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. Glad that your surgery was successful and boy oh boy do I miss the 1st ski day on Thanksgiving weekends!

That's very generous of you to offer up your bone stimulator. I hope that you didn't register and log on to Spine Health just to advertise that. Since you are a success with your surgery, it certainly would be nice to have you stick around and share your experiences.

"C"
  • I had surgery 9-23-08 and i too have a bone stimulator I wear 4 hours a day. Mine cost 5 grand also and insurance covered it, I had a 3 level fusion.
    My orthofix rep stated these devices are a one person use then disposable. Not sure how long it would work for someone else, although the the gesture was extremely nice.
  • I think the orthofix rep is just looking to maximize sales. My surgeon says they can be reprogrammed and re-used. He does it often for patients although it does have to be done by an orthofix dealer. I would have given it to him to redeploy, but he does not take insurance and he has very few patients that don't have the item covered or can't afford on their own.

I wore this one 4 hours/day for 6 months....
  • I will log on periodically to see if there is info I con provide to help others. I have found everyone's situation to be so unique it is tough to offer good advice.

The best advice I can give is to find a doctor at a teaching hospital who is THE BEST you can possibly afford. I am certain for me, that finding the right doctor made all the difference. I went got consults from orthopedic surgeons and nuero's. I went with a nuero...it all depends on your condition of course, but based on my research and experience I am partial to a nuerosurgeon when messing with my spine and nerves....

Good luck and feel good!
  • I'm having a three-level fusion on the 19th, but I have insurance and, if I need one of those gizmos, hopefully they will pay for it. What a nice offer to make for someone in need. I agree that the rep is probably saying they can't be reused just to maximize sales. It's like telling us that CPAP machines (for sleep apnea) can't be reused due to sanitation issues. Well, you can replace the face mask and hoses. Air is expelled into the surroundings and not back up into the machine, so what is the sanitation issue? Yep, lack of sales. I have pre-op on Tuesday, so I'll know if I need one then. I assume insurance will pay as my surgery has been pre-authorized.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi,

I've actually had ankle/knee/tibia issues. 2 surgeries over the past year and now a non-healing stress fracture. Doc prescribed a bone stimulator yesterday, BCBS says they won't cover a device that I'd use while not under a doctor's immediate supervision. Since you used it for spinal issues, I'm wondering if it would be a good fit for me?

Bless you for paying it forward!
    Christine
  • I was told that the battery in the orthofix stimulators last 1 year and are not designed to replace the battery; just another example of why health costs are so high!!
  • i also have a bone stimulator that my insurance covered i dont need it any more so if anybody needs mine let me know they can be reused my surgeon says cost 5gs also i hate to see it just lying around i would love to help someone out renee
  • Had l45 fusion 3 weeks ago. My doctor wants me to use bone stimulator machine but my insurance wont' pay.
  • Do any of you know if this unit help a woman with osteoporosis and vertebral fractures; does it actually stimulate bone growth and just bone health?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Both Bone Growth Stimulators I had, one cervical and one lumbar, lasted for the 4-6 month duration of use and then were not re-usable. The neck one showed wear and tear from being used daily and the attached battery pack is only rechargeable. Somewhat like any other rechargeable device eventually the battery holds a charge for a lesser amount of time, etc. The lumbar one was a small battery pack and they did give me one set of replacement batteries. But the rest of it was electrode units that stuck directly to my skin so it would not be re-usable. It again had some wear and tear issue.

I know two people for whom insurance initially denied the unit but later when the physician appealed with the reason for use they were approved. The companies that provide these units are also adept in getting insurance approval.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I just received mine yesterday and have been using it according to doctors instructions. According to the manual, this model provides up to 270 daily treatments of 4 hours each. That means it can be used for a total of 9 months. I doubt it if I will be using it the full 9 months. The rep from Orthofix told me to dispose of it after I used it. Talk about a waste! I would also love to give mine to someone else after my treatment is over. :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I have a cervical bone growth stimulator that was wore about 40 hrs, so if anyone is in need please PM me
    Susan
  • What is the deal about these being "re-usable" vs."one-patient only"? Since its re-chargeable, theoretically as long as charged shouldn't it work? I have heard both sides from docs - I wonder what the real deal is. Certainly, its not in Orthofix's ideal to make them re-usable, but lets face it many insurances don't cover (they don't get that you want to get back to work and activities of daily living sooner), and doctors don't want to deal with mounds of paperwork. The research looks awfully good regarding their benefit.

BTW Christine - there are different types of stimulators, the cervical is different from lumbar, and ankles are different than tibias etc.
  • AsiangemAAsiangem Posts: 2
    edited 11/19/2013 - 9:30 PM
    My 83 years mother just had cervical discentomy and fusion surgery and her Aetna Insurance will not cover the expense for a Orthofix 2505 Cervical-Stim unless there is 3 or more months of no progression of healing!! Can you believe that! :O

And at $5 grand its not possible for her to afford one. She really needs one now so that the bones can fuse and heal.

So if there is anyone who still kept their Othrofix 2505 which still has treatments on it - I would be very, very grateful to pay postage and handling for my mother to receive the Orthofix 2505 Cervical-Stim.

Easter
advertisement