Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I think I have finally found some relief.

crashhccrashh Posts: 40
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
So I have had a L4L5 discectomy 8/11/2008. Now still in a great deal pain most all of the time I am currently awaiting another surgery for this scar tissue growing aroung the nerve root. I have acute nerve damage or something like that and still have a CSF leak and I am told "that is normal for my type of surgery". what do you guys think? The main reason for my post here is to tell you about this Neurontin (Gabapentin) I have been taking 1800mg per day for about a week now and this has helped so much with my left leg pain and to sit down. Neurontin has made my life much easier so if you are in any type of nerve pain ask you doc about this.
advertisement

Comments

• I am going to ask my doc about starting on it too. I have chronic pain and would like to try anything that isn't a narcotic pain reliever as most of them make me real sick to my stomach. I just had 4 transforaminal cortisone injections a week ago and they have helped some, and I havn't had to take as much pain meds. Today I have had some trouble getting my pain level down to a 3 and I have to work a 10 hour shift starting at 1pm. I work in a hospital pharmacy so I know quite a lot about neurontin. Another good one that came out on the market is Lyrica. It is in the same family as gabapentin, but unlike gabapentin it is specifically for nerve pain. gabapentin has lots of other uses in the medical field, and wasn't really developed with nerve pain in mind. They just found that it seemed to help people with these issues over time.

I'm glad you found something that helps. I thinkI may have to have a second round of shots in a week or 2, I will see my doc next thursday.
    I own a lovely horse and my goal is to be able to keep caring for her and riding the trails for a long time! :)
  • I am so glad that you have found some relief. Do not be too discouraged with the discectomy. It took me a long time to heal from it and my recovery was extremely painful. Maybe your nerves are still healing and that is why the neurontin is helping. Good luck.
  • Crashh

That's awesome that you are getting some relief. Yes me and Neurontin are tremendous buddies. My life would be a living ... well you get the picture, without it. If I drop my dosage, I want to rip my leg off and throw it to the wolves. I take 1600mg three times a day and have been on it for years. I think the stuff is great.

Whoever said a CSF is normal for any type of surgery should be shot. That's BS. Can it happen ... yes. Is it normal ... no! Should it be left untreated as yours was ... heck no!

"C"
  • I also am on Neurontin. For me it really helps to get a good nights sleep. One piece of advice would be to gradually up your dose when first starting it. My Dr. started me at my current dose right away and for the first couple of weeks I would wake up naucious and had a headache. However, I decided to stick with it for a while, and I am very glad that I did.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.