Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L4/5 disc herniation with disc fragment extrusion and S1 prolapse - any ideas?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
Hi,

Am new to this site but thought i'd post see if anyone has any suggestions. I am in the UK and have been suffering with chrocic sciatic pain for over a year. Have struggled to get any treatment because our health service sucks. Have tried all sorts of things, heat, ice, physio, osteopathy, acupunture, excercise, anti-inflammatories etc.

I am currently taking amytriptiline, an anti-depressent that apparently works for nerve pain, doesn't help with pain but does make me sleep (which I hadn't been able to do for months). I'm now seeing a pain management doc and have FINALLY afer ten months had an MRI so I know now I have an L4/5 disc herniation with large extrduded disc fragment impinging nerve roots and a S1 prolapse. I am waiting for nerve root epidural injections combined with steroid injection but am told it wont be this year and waiting for referal to neurosurgeon (also will be next year).

I'm struggling to live with this pain any more but am difficult to treat with pain meds as i can't tolerate opiates, I was on tramadol (think this is Ultram in US) but couldnt stop vomiting and have tried Gabapentin (Neurontin) but couldn't take enough of this to work on pain cos it made me into a zombie and I've got a two year old at home. I'm supposed to be starting with Pregablin (lyrica) and am wondering has anyone had both and is this likely to space me out as well? If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful as am at the end of my tether now! Sorry this is the longest post ever!
advertisement

Comments

• I take Lyrica for the sciatica and I felt tired at first but I think I adjusted after a couple of weeks. I had 2 epidurals so far and it helped decrease the sciatica and numbness in my legs by about 40% maybe. Take care. See you around. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Sounds like you need a discectomy. Sorry that you are having to wait so long. You might find that ice helps. I'm on Celebrex and it helps me. Bad side effects for a lot of people though.

Good luck

Current Status = Re-reherniated. Next surgery:
    12/01/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
  • Try accupuncture for pain management or consider botox or other long-acting blocking agent at the nerve root. Yes I agree socialized medicine sucks and I think the US is headed in that direction...so I'm going to stay in a rural area and leave my shingle out as long as I can! Dr Deb
  • Hello Rachuk79,

I know this is a bit late but only just found this website, reading your story is like reading about myself. I will be honest with you any medication any doctor gives you will make you feel drowsy, lifeless, sick etc after having my surgery for the exact same problem I then ended up having a nerve problem with opposite leg, I spent approx 5 years going to the hospitals pain clinic but for last 18 months I decided to stop taking them and try and manage my pain in other ways, I frequently visit my osteopath for manipulation and accupuncture but beware some people are just after your money, you also need to be conscience of your limitations because if you aggrevate your damaged area it will take a long time to calm down, although sometimes Iam in a lot of pain because I done something silly, surgery has helped because my back used to go into spasm, one day after being sick I couldnt get up off the floor very embarrasing as I was in my scruffs about to do some decorating when the ambulance arrived, sounds funny now but when all your neighbours are outside watching......nightmare anyway you take care and it will get easier but you need to be patient.
advertisement