Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bone Graf Removed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello...I have a question regarding my back surgery. I had a level three fusion performed ( L3/L4, L4/L5, L5,S1). I had excessive spinal drainage and could not get out of bed for the first few days. Then I got very sick, fever, vomiting, terrible neck pains and headaches. I was diagnosed with three serious infections. I spend the next 25 days in the hospital thinking I was going to die! Anyways I had four surgeries in 3 weeks and the second operation my surgeon removed the bone graf due to the infection. I left the hospital with no bone graf, just the rods in place. I went to my surgeon last week and asked him when he was going to redo the graf and he told me he could not re-operate until at least 6 months...but maybe I would not need the graf done? How can he leave the back like this? Has anybody ever heard of anything like this?
advertisement

Comments

• Ythen57 said:
    Hello...I have a question regarding my back surgery. I had a level three fusion performed ( L3/L4, L4/L5, L5,S1). I had excessive spinal drainage and could not get out of bed for the first few days. Then I got very sick, fever, vomiting, terrible neck pains and headaches. I was diagnosed with three serious infections. I spend the next 25 days in the hospital thinking I was going to die! Anyways I had four surgeries in 3 weeks and the second operation my surgeon removed the bone graf due to the infection. I left the hospital with no bone graf, just the rods in place. I went to my surgeon last week and asked him when he was going to redo the graf and he told me he could not re-operate until at least 6 months...but maybe I would not need the graf done? How can he leave the back like this? Has anybody ever heard of anything like this?
    sorry to hear of your problems,i have never heard of anything like this,the only thing i can say is the rods in your back will stabelize your spine,,i was told by others. hope things get better for you.
  • to hear also.
    At the moment the rods are holding you together as it does with anyone waiting for the fusion to grow but I would think long term you would want something more.
    Maybe he is thinking that you may fuse anyway regardless of the lack of graft as this can happen.

I am sorry you have had such a bad time of it. I had the same levels done and it is not easy even when you dont have problems like yours.
    Try to stay positive and now that you have gotten rid of the infection think that everything can grow as it normally
    should.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Thanks guys...

I have heard that they can fuse without the bone graft as well..not too sure how but anyways. Hey Angelback how does your back feel after everything has healed? I was hoping to go back to my physical job and playing sports and hopefully riding my motorcycle.....now I am not too sure. I still have alot of pain and spasms in my back and legs. I had the first surgery on September 18th and the last on October 10th. I am scared to death to have to have another surgery to replace the bone graft!
  • Oh I am not quite healed yet, on the way but the fusion is a bit slow in occuring and I have a few more symptoms like numbness coming back.
    Either way though it is way better then before surgery and I can at least do things I couldn't do before like go out, go shopping, walk etc.

It is just a big lesson in patience!

Blessings Sara O:)
advertisement