Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck nerve pain - help needed

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have a nerve pain that runs from the base of my neck into my shoulder when I turn my head in certain directions. Mainly when I push my head forward and down or to the opposite shoulder. I can feel the nerve spot in my neck when I push on it with my fingers. It has been 4 weeks since it started via a martial art injury. Will this get better? What do I do?
advertisement

Comments

• I myself experienced this same problem, Went to Nero-Dr.
    was my cervical herniation eccentric to one side.Had cervical
    fusion shortly after. and it fixed the problem ,trade out weakness in arms and hands. Also cant trurn my neck in all planes. But worth the trade out --no pain since been 5 yrs.
    Go and see DR ASAP. PS
  • Hi and welcome to Spine Health. None of us can give you an answer for you specifically, all we can do is share what has happened with us. Of course the one to help you specifically is your doctor.

There's so much pain that you can have in your neck and shoulders that can mimic nerve pain or create temporary nerve pain, the only way to know is to be examined by a doc.

Do you have an appointment set up to see a doc yet?

I have a spinal cord stimulator that helps with the nerve pain I suffer in my neck, shoulders, arms and hand. I have been fighting this battle for many years and in the beginning it was very easy to control the pain with anti-seizure drugs. I avoided surgery for nearly 10 years.

Welcome to Spine health.

"C"
  • thanks for the quick replies. i did see a chiropractor and she said it was a strained nerve and didnt seem concerned as if it would heal on its own. i asked if it was possible that it was a herniated disc, but she said it was highly unlikely being that I am 26 years old and the injury was not an impact injury. is it possible something like this will heal? i was also suggested to try acupuncture by a friend.
  • Your age has nothing to do with whether or not you can herniate a disc. Given the right conditions, etc ... it can happen.

I am a big fan of acupuncture. I have had acupuncture for head pain, neck pain, shoulder spasms, lower back pain, leg pain, general health, detox from drugs and sleep. If you have the right acupunturist, it can be wonderful!

Anything's possible when it comes to healing. One of the things I and many others have found frustrating, but necessary, is giving the spine time to heal or settle down. In many cases it will settle and you won't ever know you had a problem. When it refuses to settle, that's when you need to really be in your doc's face about getting some help.

Do you have the option to have a GP or spine doc take a look at you?

"C"
  • Is the acupuncture a temporary relief?
  • Acupuncture can provide permanent relief. It all depends on the cause of the pain. I have had treatments that just completely rid me of the pain I was feeling (my lower leg and foot) with one treatment. I have had pain that required multiple sessions and it diminished as time and sessions went on. I have had pain that minimized for a few hours and then came right back.

Sometimes it's a krap shoot, but in my experience it is well worth it!

"C"
advertisement