Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

14 months post op L5 S1 PLIF all was great now having problems

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,
I was part of this forum at the old site when I had my surgery 14 months ago. Everything has been great through the recovering until now. In June my doctor told me I was fused and cold do any thing. I've been going to the local community college taking auqacise and art classes. When the last semester started I took welding, creative metals, drawing and design....really having fun but it was too much too soon. The swimming ended because of the weather so really no exercise besides 2 days a week working in the welding shop 6 hours each day and cleaning a 3000 sq ft house. Anyway I'm having some intermitent nerve pain in my legs and a deep soreness in the low back that can be quite painful at times. Needless to say I'm disappointed everything was going so well. The doc says finish the semester then he'll do a CT scan as he says there a slight halo around one of the screws, "Worst case senerio we have to go in thru the front and stablize the fusion" :SS

Has anyone else experinced this?
Could it be from not swimming?
Or is the welding too much too soon?

I'd really like to here you're input.

Thanks,
Vicki
advertisement

Comments

• My Dr told me to do whatever my back allowed but don't lift more than 30 lbs.

If it were me I would follow the Drs recommendations.

My Dr says he doesn't really know what's going on till he gets inside.

Good Luck

Harry

• Go back a while...you know you've done too much.

My friend, who had his first fusion 20 years ago and revision 2 years ago is still quite limited and pays the price if he does too much. That is a good thing to know.
    He says think of it like a weakness....

Forget your back for a minute...if you done your achilles (ankle tendon) you'd likely be suffering on/off for years even after it healed with the odd achy day and poor shoes or hard walking. Now consider your back surgery and how much bigger is that?

So, I doubt it was swimming but more the welding and any other Bending, lifting twisting you are doing in your day.

slow down...hugs
  • Hi Vicki:

I had a TLIF about 14 months ago. My doctor told me I could do pretty much whatever I wanted to do also. If I do too much I certainly know it, although I have not done nearly what you have. It sounds like you just over did it. I have also heard that it can take up to 2 years to fully recover. A good point was made, do we ever really recover 100%???

Ellen