Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wanting AUTOGRAFT... am i nuts?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm thinking I wanting autograft for my upcoming ACDF (one level so far).
Just something in my mind telling me so. Plus I'm kinda grossed out using cadaver bone (yeah I know it's safe and ok)

I'm calling DR to tell him tomorrow, but I tend to back down and are easily talked out of.

ANy thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else chose autograft over bone bank?
advertisement

Comments

• Since I'm a smoker, my surgeon decided to go with the autograft. I gotta tell you though, after the surgery, the place where they took the bone from was more uncomfortable than the incision site. It took a few weeks for that pain to go away. Even at 4 months post-op, if I turn over the wrong way in bed, it gives me a twinge of pain. Given a choice, I would have gone with whatever the surgeon suggested was best FOR ME!

Don't sweat the small stuff! Relax and listen to your surgeon. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery. Be sure to post if you have any questions, fears, etc. This is a great place to get general information and support.
  • I know the site will be painful, but i'm willing to go through with it. ANYONE else have comments?????
  • Welcome to spine-health. You need to call your surgeon and have this discussion as to allograft vs autograft. There are reasons as to why one would choose own bone. As the previous poster stated most surgeons will require your bone if a smoker. Something you may want to discuss with your surgeon is the fact on non-union. Statistics show that using your own bone does have a higher success rate with fusion. However on a one level usually not that concerned about having a non-union. But it is something to discuss. I have used my own bone twice and I have to admit the incision from the donor site was far more painful than the actual incision from my ACDF. I choose my bone as wanted it to heal faster so as could go back to work sooner. The hip pain for my was gone at about the one week mark. I lived alone and returned to my home taking care of myself with no assistance. Yes it was sore getting up and down the first several days. My surgeon told me the more i move the faster the pain will be gone. By the time of my 10 day check up no problems with hip and was never a problem and have used my bone twice. I think it is definite worth you calling your surgeon and having the discussion. One thing you may want to bring up is what happens if you were to have a non-union, I am no doctor by no means just someone who has gone through several cervical surgeries. Anyway welcome to spine-health and if there is anything i can do don't hesitate to pm me. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.
  • Welcome to spine-health. You need to call your surgeon and have this discussion as to allograft vs autograft. There are reasons as to why one would choose own bone. As the previous poster stated most surgeons will require your bone if a smoker. Something you may want to discuss with your surgeon is the fact on non-union. Statistics show that using your own bone does have a higher success rate with fusion. However on a one level usually not that concerned about having a non-union. But it is something to discuss. I have used my own bone twice and I have to admit the incision from the donor site was far more painful than the actual incision from my ACDF. I choose my bone as wanted it to heal faster so as could go back to work sooner. The hip pain for my was gone at about the one week mark. I lived alone and returned to my home taking care of myself with no assistance. Yes it was sore getting up and down the first several days. My surgeon told me the more i move the faster the pain will be gone. By the time of my 10 day check up no problems with hip and was never a problem and have used my bone twice. I think it is definite worth you calling your surgeon and having the discussion. One thing you may want to bring up is what happens if you were to have a non-union, I am no doctor by no means just someone who has gone through several cervical surgeries. Anyway welcome to spine-health and if there is anything i can do don't hesitate to pm me. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out.
  • I've had both...better luck with my own bones than someone else's. I posted to your other thread but will say here that it could be a better choice. You're in charge of your care, no matter how good the Dr. is. You don't want it, then s/he has to make a damned good case to force you to do it.

Post op, make sure you have cold packs or ice and your pain meds will help. first 24 hours try to keep it as iced as possible and after that it's pretty routine for a hockey mom.

Talk to the doc and tell him or her what YOU want and don't just take what they want as the last word.
  • Hi Kim,

After much thought and research, I decided to have an autograft with my 2-level ACDF on 10/30. For me, it was just a 'gut' feeling to go with my own. I am now 11 days post-op and the graft incision is more painful than the actual surgery, but I am happy with my choice.

Don't let yourself be talked out of whatever you decide!

Best of luck,
    Elle
  • ..from left iliac crest & altho it hurt like the dickens for about 4 months, my fusion is doing well. Not sure if it was my own bone that did the work, as others have posted other grafts have also been succesful, but I just wanted my own bone in there.. My NS tunneled-under to my iliac crest from the same incision as the fusion, so I didn't have an extra incision over my hipbone...you can ask about that aspect also. Years ago they made 2 incisions; I think most docs no longer do that to you, either.

And once the punch-site healed, it never hurt again. Which is more than I can say for the FUSION area, haha!

YOU make the decision, it's YOUR body! Just my 2 cents...

~Lakside
  • I don't blame you. I wouldn't want anyone else's bone inside of me either, no matter how sterile it was. I won't even let them give me someone else's blood for any reason. If it SERIOUSLY came down to it, and my life actually depended on it, then of course I'd let them... But only if I were in dire need. I have a paranoia of things of that sort. It comes with the OCD territory. Some people think it's crazy, but when you have really bad anxiety, it does more damage to be living every day of your life terrified of what's inside your own body and imagining what could be going on, causing unneeded stress, than it would to just have another physical wound. Personally, I get really bad chest pain from anxiety, so my doctors & I avoid it at all costs. I understand where you're coming from... I think a lot of people would/do. It is an emotional decision, not just medical.

Good luck with your surgery :)
  • Lo said:
    Some people think it's crazy, but when you have really bad anxiety, it does more damage to be living every day of your life terrified of what's inside your own body and imagining what could be going on, causing unneeded stress, than it would to just have another physical wound. quote]

Well said, Lo.

This was a BIG reason why a decided to have an autograft. It was hard to get my MD to understand, but now he respects my decision.

Elle
advertisement