Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL IN SEVERE PAIN

KARMAGIRLKKARMAGIRL Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I WAS RELEASED THE DAY AFTER SURGERY, EVEN THOUGH I WAS A HIGH FALL RISK, I HAD SUFFERED SEVERELY FROM THE MOMENT THEY WOKE ME UP AFTER SURGERY, I DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT. NO PAIN KILLERS TOUCHED THIS PAIN!! I REALLY FELT LIKE I WAS HIT BY A MASSIVE TRUCK, AND STRUCK BY LIGHTNING ALL IN ONE DAY. I HAD 2 DISC REMOVED 4-5 5-6 AND FUSION WITH BONE FROM BANK AND I WAS TOLD THIS SURGERY WAS PROBABLY GOING TO GIVE ME RELIEF RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE THE PRESSURE ON THE NERVES WAS BEING TAKEN OFF, THAT IS THE ONLY REASON I WENT AHEAD WITH THIS, AFTER 10 YEARS OF PAIN!! I LEFT THE HOSPITAL IN UNBEARABLE PAIN, BUT THOUGHT OH WELL MAYBE I WILL BE ABLE TO SLEEP IN MY OWN BED, NOT!! ANYWAY I JUST WANTED TO KNOW IF ANYONE FELT THEY WERE RUSHED OUT WAY TOO SOON, EVEN IF U REALLY DIDN'T WANT TO BE THERE. 1 DAY FOR ME WAS JUST CRAZY!!
advertisement

Comments

• wow Can you call your surgeon to let him know the pain your having and get a stronger med or Ativan to help you. Do you have someone to help you at home? Take care of yourself. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You really need to get in touch with your surgeon and get either some stronger meds if you can or be re-admitted to hospital. 2 days in hospital for a 2 level fusion is not much at all.

Did they even get a chance to go through everything with you as to what you can or cant do? Di they ensure your bowels were working etc.

I get the feeling that you need to start shouting a bit and not be complacent about it.

sending you prayers and blessings Sara O:)
  • I had the same surgery done 2.5 weeks ago and it did immediately release the nerve and stop the pain, so they didn't lie to you there....something else is going on. You need to call the surgeon immediately.
  • Yep

I had a 4-level PLIF L2 thru S1.

In the hospital I was constipated, impaired and could not sleep so I begged to go home. I had pain but the sciatica was gone. I would raise hell if I were you.

Harry

• sorry your in so much pain. >:D<
    you did not mention was it cervical or the lumbar spine??
    you just mentioned what disks.

call your dr!!! or call a ambulance to bring you to the E.R where your surgery was. your best bet would be the ambulance as you will be laying flat. they can start IV fluids etc/mabye something for pain relief and you won't havve to wait in the waiting area.
    demand you be seen or readmitted. i can tell how much pain your in just by the way your writing.

please let us know how you make out hun >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • AND SCREAAMMMMMMMM! I would. Or please take Terri's advice and call an ambulance. Any surgery is painful but you SHOULD NOT be in that much pain. Your doctor should have given you something to keep you much more comfortable. I hate insurancce companies as they are usually the culprits that determine when we are "well enough to be released". I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. >:D<
  • Sounds like negligent doctors to me. You should NOT be released from the hospital the day after a fusion, and you also are not supposed to be released until they know your pain is under control with oral medications. They sent me home with Dilaudid pills and Valium 3 times a day for the first 2 weeks. My roommate was sent home with the Fentanyl patch cause she raised hell & was a baby. Lol.
  • Please be careful when saying that someone is negligent.

Also there are many people who are released the following day after a fusion without any problems. It depends upon the patient, the procedure and the physician.

It sounds like karmagirl from her initial post, consented to leaving the hospital when she did even though she was in incredible pain.

Karmagirl,

I'm sorry that you are hurting so much, but the others are right, if you can't get in touch with your surgeon then go to the ER and have them get your pain under control and they will contact your surgeon.

"C"
  • I don't need to be careful when speaking in a generalized manner and saying it SOUNDS like. I didn't accuse any specific person or doctor or anyone of being negligent.... So don't worry about what I say.

Maybe she did consent, but not everyone knows they can contest, NOR does everyone know that you have the right to put your foot down and seriously demand your doctor do SOMETHING for you. Some people are not good with confrontation, some people are trusting their doctor, and others, LIKE SHE SAID, thought they will feel better when they get home.

I never claimed to give medical advice, I do however give my opinion, considering that's what the forum is for... And in my opinion, releasing someone the day after a fusion is negligent. MY OPINION. Period. After all the doctors I have seen, Orthopedic and Neuros, all the research I have done for two years, it is my own conclusion that I have every right to draw.

Everyone here is speaking from their personal experience, or their personal opinion. Unless someone specifically states they are a doctor, then I don't think anyone has the right to attack the personal opinion of another. So I'd appreciate it if you answer her question, not pick apart my response. Thanks.
  • Please call your doctor Karmagirl, tell them you need help!

I had a one level lumbar fusion and was in the hospital for 5 days, PCA for 2 days, and catheter for 3 days. Yeaks, I couldnt imagine myself going home the next day. I was ready by the forth day, but he said to just get one more day since I would be home alone during the day.

It is all based on your surgeouns preferences, procedure and pre surgery condition as well. No two poeple will be the same. Did you have any PT before your left the hospital? They should teach you to safely log roll, get up and down, steps with the least ammount of pain. I really needed help for all of those transfers for the first 3 days.

Keep us posted.
    Hugs,
    Shell
  • When I see a response that I feel is potentially harmful to someone with little knowledge or experience reading through posts, if I don't address it, then I am the one being negligent. See how that works.

I applaud all of your research and experience and if it works for you, that's fantastic. Simply stating that something you write is okay because it's after all "just your opinion" is ... well ... foolish. EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION. If everyone expressed their opinion versus their experience, then this board would wrap itself around a tree in no time.

People on this board look to others for comfort and advice. REGARDLESS if a person says they are not a medical professional, people are going to hear only what they want to hear and next thing you know, they're running to a lawyer claiming their doctor was negligent. Then you'll have the people who hear they should be kept hospitalized until their pain is controllable by oral meds. Ask any nurse, doc or attendant, how difficult it is to get some people to accept the fact that they no longer need IV meds and need to get up out of bed and start moving.

Karmagirl is most likely right in her thinking that she would probably feel better at home. Most people do.

In another thread by her she states
    karmagirl said:
    WELL I WAS FEELING A LITTLE BETTER UNTIL HE HAD ME START SOME NECK EXERCISES AT HOME, OMG THEN IT ALL CAME BACK!!!
    So according to this, she was starting to improve, saw the doc and the doc felt good enough to have her begin some exercises and that's when things went south again.

So it seems this thread is getting confused. Yes she has pain that needs to be addressed. However the cause of the pain and the fact that she was improving prior to exercise are getting lost between multiple posts.

"C"
  • I agree with you. And also how does LO know that it was the docs, nurses or hospitals issue that the original poster left after one day. And really LO the attitude is not the best either. It very well could have been due to insurance issues. I am thankful that my insurance doesn't reallly care how long you stay in the hospital, well except after delivering a baby.LOL I was only in the hospital for 6 hours after I delivered my children.
    Anyway, Back to the main subject. Do call your doc asap!!! If no help there then please do call for an ambulance to take you to the hospital where you had the surgery.
  • I had a 2-level ACDF on 10/30 and went home wihtin 24 hours of surgery. While I was glad to be home, it was exhausting and my pain was NOT well managed. I did consent to go home, but it probably would have been better for me to stay another night.

Elle
  • Well, you feeling it's "harmful" is YOUR opinion. So don't go telling me not to share when you're sharing yours. I feel your response was RUDE, so I guess we're even.

Everything I write IS okay because I am not stating anything as a FACT. EVERYONE can give their opinion. THAT"S THE POINT OF THIS FORUM! WE ARE NOT LICENSED PROFESSIONALS. ALL WE CAN GIVE IS OUR OPINION.

Get real for a minute... For someone to go running to a lawyer because some random person ON THE INTERNET said it sounds like what their doctor did could be negligent is STRETCHING IT... REALLY, REALLY FAR. That is OUT THERE, and absolutely RIDICULOUS. That's like saying I could go take you to court for harassment because you wrote a rude response to my own personal opinion. Nobody is that stupid, and personally, I think you're undermining her intelligence by insinuating she could potentially be that dumb. Personally, I don't think she is. I don't really think anyone here is. So no, I don't feel I have to worry about GIVING MY OPINION, because I'm not qualified to give anything BUT, nor is anyone else. So please, save the drama for someone who cares to hear it. I'm tired of being attacked by all these "adults" who have nothing better to do than insult someone because they have opinions that differ from theirs. Grow up. Mind your own business, and learn to handle opinions that differ from your own. Not everyone is going to agree with you and what you think is right or wrong... So don't impose your personal beliefs on me and try to judge me or my actions based on such. You don't get to decide right from wrong. I have my own conscience and my own brain, that thanks, but I think I'll use my own, not yours. I did NOTHING WRONG, and if you think I did, good for you. But keep it to yourself, because I don't care what you think about what I have to say. If you don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Simple as that. Stop trying to control what anyone else does. I will NOT hold back from sharing my opinions because people like you might disagree. Sorry, but NOT gonna happen. Don't waste your time replying to this, because I'm done with this fruitless conversation. The bottom line is that I gave my opinion, and I have every right to do so. Hypocrisy is not flattering. Keep that in mind. THE END.
  • I don't think you're qualified to judge my "attitude", considering this is TEXT, you cannot hear my tone, and you know nothing about me. And if you think the "attitude" is a problem, then stop being a hypocrite and giving one yourself. If you think there is a problem, don't add to it... It makes you no better than the person you are accusing of wrongdoings. Don't talk about me, don't refer to me, don't talk TO me, if you think what I'm doing or saying is wrong... Because otherwise you are just adding fuel to the fire you are complaining about. "And really", not that hard of a concept.

I really cannot wrap my mind around the inability some 'adults' these days to handle people whose opinions differ from their own. I will never understand their mindset that convinces them it's okay to go around trying to decide who's right and who's wrong, as if they are the definitive source of such. Just because I'm younger than most people here doesn't mean anyone is above me, or I am below anyone. I'm tired of being spoken to in condescending manners, so yeah... I am going to get defensive and angry, because enough is enough. Maybe if I came in here telling people I was 50, I might get the same level of respect other people get, and I might have the right to have my own opinion.

WTF ever. Also done here. I'm not going to continue letting people who don't know me get me worked up. It's irrelevant in the big picture, this IS just the internet, no one here knows me, therefore, no one here can actually judge me, and I shouldn't be taking it personal or letting it get to me. That's a good idea. I'm gonna go with that one. It makes me appreciate the people I have in real life. They are a breath of fresh air.

Also THE END. Don't waste your time replying, I have nothing to say to you or anyone else who is going to get all bent out of shape because someone has a different opinion than they do.
  • Hi

From KARMAGIRL'S post it does seem like negligence to me too.

KARMAGIRL - let us know how you are doing...please.

JMO

Harry
  • How are you doing now? Have you called your doc? Sorry your pain got lost in the debate! Please let us know how you are, ok?
  • Back to the topic, Please!

Karmagirl, I read your other post and saw that your surgery was 3 weeks ago. Hopefully the intense uncontrolled pain you were referring to was just from then and has subsided a bit (this is the pain that really concerned everyone). As I posted earlier I was home in 5 days, others longer, some shorter. I think the cervical fusions go home a bit quicker, but thats just from what I have read here. Anyway,you cant do much about the past, now we need to deal with the future. Are you still in so much pain now? From other posts I have read it does seem early to start active movement, but your doctor must have a reason he is proceding at this speed. I would ask him to clarify the restrictions and review progress.

Hugs,
    Shell
  • What everyone keeps missing, is that in a different thread started by KARMAGIRL, she was home and doing better and then went to see doc for follow up at which time he gave her exercises to do at home. Those exercises kicked off the pain cycle she is currently experiencing.
    karmagirl said:
    Posted on: Mon, 11/10/2008 - 14:00 #4
    KARMAGIRL

User is offline Offline
    Private Message Send PM
    Add to buddy list Add buddy
    2 WEEKS, 4 DAYS POST OP

WELL I WAS FEELING A LITTLE BETTER UNTIL HE HAD ME START SOME NECK EXERCISES AT HOME, OMG THEN IT ALL CAME BACK!!! THE ONE THING THAT WENT AWAY WITH THE SURGERY WAS THE ARM PAIN AND THE NUMBNESS AND TINGLING!! IT'S ALL BACK!! I STOPPED THE EXERCISES, BUT I HAVE BAD ARM PAIN AGAIN IN SAME PLACES, TINGLING IN HANDS AND 1 FOOT, AND CONSTANT MUSCLE PAIN!! I STILL CAN'T SLEEP ON EITHER SIDE, WHICH IS HOW I LIKED SLEEPING, AND STOMACH FORGET ABOUT IT!! AFTER A WHILE SLEEPING ON YOUR BACK JUST TO KEEP YOUR NECK HAPPY DRIVES YOU CRAZY!! ANYWAY, I REALLY AM STILL IN SHOCK ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING, AND I TRIED TO GO SHOPPING AND CRIED ALL NIGHT AND THE NEXT DAY, THE PAIN WAS OUT OF CONTROL, YET THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SIT AND RELAX ALL DAY, SO I AM CONFUSED HERE!! HE SAID TAKE IT WEEK BY WEEK NOW. I HAD MY POST OP APPT LAST WED, XRAYS LOOKED GOOD, I WILL SEE HIM AGAIN DEC 18TH!! SOME PEOPLE GO BACK TO WORK AFTER 2 WEEKS, I CAN'T IMAGINE!! ANYWAY I'M STILL NEW AT THIS AND DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND HERE!! I GOT TO THIS PAGE BY SURE LUCK. I CAN'T FIND ANY OF MY OTHER POST, ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU
    karmagirl said:
    Posted on: Mon, 11/03/2008 - 13:41 #2
    KARMAGIRL

User is offline Offline
    Private Message Send PM
    Add to buddy list Add buddy
    spinal fusion

thank you, I needed to hear that. I see doc on wednesday nov 5th, and i developed a new kindda pain now, when i wake up in am i get severe throbbing in back of my neck, like a heart beating real hard, but very painful!! this is crazy, but u made me feel better!! he did tell me when he woke me up i would probably say i feel great, and i would be feeling no pain except for the wound!!!
  • What happens when multiple threads are created, is that the overall picture becomes unintentionally distorted.
  • thank you for pointing out the two postings.
    mabye this is something we can tell people when they do post so everyone does not get confused. ;) i personally did not know there was 2 separate ones.

karmagirl i hope your feeling a bit better tonight >:D<
  • I don't know about negligent -- I'm just amazed you were sent home so soon with that much work done. I'm about to have a three-level fusion and I've been told that I'll be in the hospital for four days. One seems pretty short.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I had a 2 level cervical c4-c6 and was out in 24 hours...if those are the same discs she had done...its pretty standard. I would think though if the pain levels were that great they would have kept her longer. I don't know the whole story though...like some have mentioned..could be insurance issues involved. I pre-registered with my insurance company and they had 3 days max approved. Thank God I didn't need more.
  • I AM SORRY IF I CONFUSED A LOT OF YOU, SO HERE GOES: I started a couple different topics because i thought that is how u do it!! like one was about being released from a hospital to soon!! I wanted to know if others thought they were too. another post was about 2weeks 4 days post op was looking for some answers on that, and another post was about exercise. i wanted to know some of your stories on what you can and can't do besides walk and some gentle neck stretches after a couple weeks. I am now 3 weeks post op going to the pain management doc today for some trigger point injections. thanks for everyones comments, but I still don't understand why starting new posts confused everyone!! Am I only suppose to post 1 and keep going on 1 subject? please let me know!!! I am new!! as far as pain goes if i don't do anything except walk about 3 blocks I remain on a pain level of about 5!! shopping a little, stretching, riding in car, house cleaning pain jumps way up!! thank you to all! I just feel that I was in so MUCH PAIN, to leave a hospital! I didn't know this was normal. Yes, i was very unhappy there, but I couldn't even help myself to leave. I never even got a little walk in before I left!! I wasn't even there 24 hours surgery was at 1pm. I was out by 10 am. This was a little ridiculous, and yes my doc new I was suffering, but i guess better being home with loved ones, then nurses who can't stand if you complain even a little!!
  • Starting multiple threads on multiple subject is fine. What people forget is that not everyone reads all of the threads and if the information in them crosses or connects, there's always the possibility that people will jump to the wrong conclusion and then a thread spins way out into left field. This does an injustice to the originator who's looking for a straightforward answer and to the posters who feel they are giving you just that, but are in actually going off on an unintentional tangent.

I had read all of your threads and realized that that was happening here. I pointed that out in my first post, but it went unnoticed in the heat that was building within the thread.

Unfortunately many people are confused when their docs say that they will feel great when they wake up and they aren't. Most especially someone who has not had spine surgery before. What they aren't aware of is the pain caused by the yanking and pulling and pushing and drilling of the surgery itself. It's like getting into a fight and coming out feeling like the loser, while your doc is smiling and telling you that you won the fight. This pain will change over the course of a few weeks and as some disappears it seems that new pains appear, when in most cases that pain was just buried underneath other pain to begin with.

Anyway, I'm glad that you are feeling better and that you are going to pain management.

"C"
  • I actually wondered if you had had 2 different surgeries the first on your cervical and the second on your lumbar!

Maybe when we paost different thisn we can refer to other threads.

Thanks 'C' for all you great and thoughtful information. You really are an assett to the board.

Karmagirl. I am glad that things have at least improved a bit and you are not in the screaming pain that you were.
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • How are you today? We are ALL hoping that you are beginning to feel better and your doctor has provided you so much needed relief. If not then I hope this will do for now.
    >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • For a major back surgery, hospital stay is 3 to 5 day minimum. Did You get a minimal invasive surgery done?

I picked a female Neurosurgeon over a man and there was a reason and it worked the way I thought it would :)))

I had the PLIF with six inch incision and it took 4 days before the pain was finally bearable with the right pain med and dosage (I have a high tolerance to any med). I was never rushed out. The only time MY NS asked if i wished to be released was on the 4th day, I said no and she OK. It wasn't until the fifth day when I started get the 80mg Oxycontin that I felt ready to go home. When My NS came to check in on Me the day after I asked to be released ad she released Me. Thats how it should be done me.
  • One of the things that I have found, is that there are times when I have been in more of a rush to get out of the hospital just cuz I'm sick and tired of the hospital, but the surgeon hadn't even had the chance to sign the discharge paperwork yet. Sometimes he has already signed them and come and gone while I slept and the nurse would let me know I was clear to leave. There have also been times when like in your case I wasn't ready and all I had to do was say so.

At the hospital here, they do what's called a 2359. If you are having say a discetomy or a laminectomy, they don't actually admit you to the hospital, they can keep you in the Ambulatory Procedures Unit for up to 23 hours and 59 minutes. If the doc wants you admitted then they do the paperwork and you are moved to the regular ward. For more involved surgeries, of course they will admit you for the predetermined length of time.

Bottom line though is pleading your case or having someone else there to do it for you.

"C"
  • Thanks again for enlightening me. I don't know the ins and outs of hospital stays as I try to avoid them at all costs. That's why I blamed the insurance company. But I tend to lay the blame at their doorstep because I like my doctor very much and he can do no wrong in my eyes. But that's nice to know.
advertisement