Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 Weeks Post-op Cervical ADR...Doing GREAT!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to share my very positive experience about cervical artificial disc replacement with everyone.

I was in a car accident 5 years ago and had neck problems ever since. In Feb. of this year I herniated C5-6. Over the past 5 years and especially this year, I have tried EVERY conservative measure (i.e. injections, PT, traction, meds, etc.) and it all stopped working. I saw one neurosurgeon and he recommended an ACDF at C5-6. I didn't get a good vibe from him or his office so I went for a second opinion with an orthopedic spine surgeon. He recommended I have an ADR. I am only 26 so he wouldn't do a fusion on me, he didn't think that was a good option at my age.

I had Medica insurance, which doesn't cover ADR, I had to appeal and appeal. I switched insurance to Patient Choice and they approved it right away.

I had the Prestige ADR at C5-6 on 10-2-08. When I woke up from surgery I felt so good I didn't think they did the surgery. I wore a soft collar for a few hours and that was it for any collar/brace. I went home the next day. I went back to work 11 days later and was fine. I am so happy with my results! My throat was only bothersome for a few days and the pain is mainly soreness/muscle tension. I have off and on arm pain but not that often and my surgeon said that takes the longest to go away but my neck pain is gone.

I would recommend this surgery to anyone that is a candidate. I would also say to be your own advocate and stay on your insurance, ask your doctors questions, etc. If I hadn't done that I probably would have had a fusion and still be recovering and not back to a normal life.

Sorry I went on and on but I see a lot on these message boards that people don't always post positive experiences. I am sooooo happy I had the surgery and I feel great, I take one pain pill once in awhile at night. The results are unbelievable! <:P :D =D>
advertisement

Comments