Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all. I'll dive right in...

In my case there was never a specific injury or accident. I had light pain in the right side of the glut occasionally, for 2 years. It popped up early this tear w/ some tightness in the right hamstring, and didn't improve. Around mid February the sciatic pain hit: right side of the glut down to the foot. No numbness or tingling. Big ache’s and sharp pains. MRI showed large right Para central herniation with root nerve encroachment. 1st Micro 3/27.

I had little to no nerve pain for about a month. In early May I awoke to a reherniation. MRI showed small herniation with mass effect on the nerve. 2nd Micro 6/27

I had little to no nerve pain for about a week. Then had very light pain for about 15 weeks. Re-reherniated as of 2 weeks ago. The diagnosis is that I have a genetic predisposition to reherniation (and herniation of course).

Current Pain Level = Tolerable. But I can’t work. I can sit, stand, and walk for brief periods of time only. I’m out on short term disability for the 3rd time this year.

Current Meds = Celebrex, & a large dose of suckitup

~~~
3/27/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
6/27/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

Current Status = Re-reherniated. Next surgery:
12/01/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine-health...
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you talked to your doctors about adequate pain meds and nerve pain medications? :? there are many out there which might be of some benefit to you? and what about pt? does that have any place in your treatment program? :W good luck and i hope you find some relief soon. Jenny :)
  • Hi just wanted to introduce myself, I had ACDF C5 C6, I was in the hospital for one night, had the op, was mobile and eating within two hours, I felt great, came home then two days later felt awful and contacted GP, started on antibiotics and stronger pain meds that helped, I am on my own as sadly my husband died 6 months ago so I just try and get on with it although it can be difficult at times, especially when washing my floors!!! I have a lot of clicking when I turn my head and numbness and tingling in both arms is still there, will this eventually go away, I hope,I have also problems in my thoracic and lumber areas which NS says he will address at a later date, I had an MRI in May, now I have had the op,am I able to have another MRI as I now have metal in my neck!
  • Welcome to SH, Eve.

You say you're only 8 days out of surgery? Sounds to me like it's a bit early for you to be turning your head, much less washing your floors! Did your surgeon not give you a collar or restrictions? I'm concerned for you... :(
  • I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I also had microD and have been fortunate enough not to re-rupture yet. I think that more people do re-rupture after microD because it tends to weaken the disc. I had laser surgery right after the endo microD and that was supposed to strengthen and tighten the disc and minimize the chance of re-rupture. 1 year later, so far so good in that aspect. I wish you luck and please keep us posted.
  • Hi Jenny…

Pain meds are an option, but this time I prefer to suck it up. Before the first and the second surgery I went with Vicodin and muscle relaxers. This time I decided to try no opiates, so we went with Celebrex & muscle relaxers. The muscle relaxers weren’t helping, so the potential side effects weren’t worth it. And I seem to have had a mild bad reaction to the Celebrex. I take Tylenol when necessary, and mainly stay in bed.

My surgeon isn’t a big fan of PT after a L5-S1 discectomy. However, at my suggestion, we tried it the second time. Hard to say if it helped or hurt, but I’m glad to have learned the exercises for next time around.

Hi Eve, and welcome to you.

And that laser surgery post discectomy sounds interesting bigcat. Glad that has worked for you. :)

~~~
    3/27/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    6/27/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

Current Status = Re-reherniated. Next surgery:
    12/01/08 L5-S1 Microdiscectomy

• New Sig

advertisement