Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Here with Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello, I have read many of your posts and I find them most helpful and encouraging. Im 38 years old and Ive had back pain for years 10 or so. I tolerated it. Back in 99 I fell about 25 feet while working in a water tank and landed on my bottom. This laid me up for awhile. Well two years ago
I told my family doctor that it was becoming unbearable. He started me on Perc 5's and ordered an MRI. Well being self employeed that presented a problem. They wanted 500. down for the MRI. And going thru a divorce at the same time finances were limited. My doctor stopped the meds. They did help a little. So I then got meds from another source. I'm not proud of it. Well after a while I went back to my doctor and told him I wanted off my meds that I was getting off the streets(friends). I then went thru suboxone treatment. It was like I was alive again. Well Oct 3,2008 I had a massive heart attack. And still on Suboxone when i had my heart attack was horrible. My chest hurt so bad it was like a truck was parked on it. I screamed and cried like a baby. The morphine they gave me was blocked by the suboxone. My cardiologist says I have 30 percent of my heart left. I take my meds as directed. Quit smoking after 25 years. And stick with my cardiac diet. Everyone says I'm to young for a heart attack. Tired of hearing that line.
Well since Ive been taking it easy and not taking any meds that I shouldnt. I mean walking a straight line. My back is killing me. I know its DDD. I just hope the doctor gives me another chance. I asked him during the last visit if we could work on my back next he said okay. I was having internal bleeding from the angio-seal. and couldnt really address the issue at that time. Should I see the family doc. or go to pain management or neurologist?
Thanks
Broken Heart
advertisement

Comments

• Im so sorry to hear all you have been through. This is a good place to ask questions, vent and just find friends that truely understand what you are going through. When my back became unbearable, I was first seeing my family Dr. But after 2 years and needing more than just vicoden, I was referred to a pain management Dr. I get meds from one and injections from another PM. Welcome to SH!
  • I never heard of suboxone, does it have another name? You are really young for so many issues, but it is not unheard of for persons your age to suffer heart problems.

I have worked in pharmacy for 30 years and could never understand why people would want to take morphine or percocet constantly until I had my neck surgery. I always thought the meds would keep a person in a constant fog, but I found out pretty quick they took my pain away without feeling drugged and i could function pretty much as normal.

If I were you I'd get a good pain management doc and then see a GOOD Neuro or Ortho Doc who specializes in spine surgery.

Good Luck! :)
  • It sounds like you've been through so much. I would do as you say and go to a pain management Doctor and get a referral to a Neurologist and orthosurgeon. Do you have a recent MRI? as the Doctors would need to look at that as part of your assessment. I certainly would get another Dr. if yours doesn't help with your pain control. It's bad when you have to get it from the street as opposed to getting a prescription and you don't know what's in that street drug.
    I'm sorry you've been through so much and overcome alot that many others never had to go through. I'm sure that's where you came up with the name Broken Heart. Take care. Keep in touch. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know from experience that it's hard to get help without an MRI. Are your circumstances better where you could get one? Once you have that, pain management may be the way to go depending on what they find. They are best at treating log-term pain. I'm in pain management I couldn't go there without an MRI. Now, they know I have a herniated disc compressing nerve roots and they help me, although sometimes it's a struggle getting them to help and trust you. I'm happy to say that my pain is semi-controlled and I hope your's gets that way soon. I'm here for you and I understand...

Much love and understanding,
    Lisa
  • You are very welcomed here with open arms. We all have been thru difficult paths in our lives filled with despair. I'm glad you are with us today, and I hope things continue to fall in place for you. You are so young to have a heart attack, and I'm sorry you have to experience that. Please take good care of yourself, that is your #1 priority.
    This is the perfect place for any questions about dealing with back problems, and someone will always be here for you. Again, welcome to SH, and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • so sorry that you have had to go through so much.i was filling up whilst reading you post!.i too have horrible back ache that stops me from working and sleeping etc i am on loads of meds {could not and would not want to live with out them!}.i have had 2 operations on my back and i have congenital abnormalities too .i hope thing get better for you .look after your self.STRAKER
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.