Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Two neck sureries and still have pain and headaches.

hisbeauty4asheshhisbeauty4ashes Posts: 182
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi,

I had three neck surgeries. The first neck surgery was to fuse four disc's. Over a year latter two of the four disc's did not fuse so I had to have a second surgery and they had to do the neck surgery from the back side. Then after they did the second neck surgery some how the rods in my neck bent so we had to remove the pins and rods around six months ago.

I still have major pain in my neck and all in my shoulders and around my shoulders with any type of movement. When I lift twenty or less pounds I feel it in my neck and it really hurts. I have lots of headaches all the time.They say it looks good and it fused great!

I am wondering is anyone struggling like this? I just want to be with out pain and live my life painless.

Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Don't give up yet. If I read yoour podt correctly you had your last revision 6 months ago and it can take a long time for nerves to heal. It's possible that the nerves may not improve at all and we need to be ready for that possibility, especially after multiple surgeries.

Mske a call to your surgeon and tell him what's going on. He will be better able to explain the healing process than I can LOL. Ido know that during a posterior surgery a whole kot more nerves are displaced as well as the muscles and tissues being cut. Posterioe recoveries simply take longer to heal.

I still have a tremendous amount of pain and it's probalbe that I have to have a posterior revision. Although I'm not looking forward to it I know that it can stop any further damage from occuring in my cervical spine, nerves and spinal cord.

Ask the doc if he's willing to write prescriptions to get your pain under control. If he isn't, as him to refer you to a Pain Management doc who will. You have the right to be comfortable.

Let us know how you're doing, okay?

Griff
  • hi hisbeauty

i had posterior c1 c2 fusion 9 weeks ago. i still get numbness off and on in all different areas. right hand left hand parts of back left leg ect ect . . . comes and goes.

as mentioned above i believe that within time these symptoms will dimish. hoping anyways. it is really scary. my NS said anything left after 18-24 months will be permanent.

still have a while to go.

stay strong.
  • Hi and Welcome to Spine Health. What griff said about posterior neck surgery being much more painful, is absolutely right! I don't think anything can prepare a person for that and to have to experience it multiple times is just ... well ... unfair. Necessary but unfair.

At 6 months post op, I would definitely be asking for a referral to pain management if the surgeon feels everything else looks good.

I hadn't quite hit 6 months post op and was starting to have more frequent and intense headaches and horrible muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. I was going to pain management and one day I asked the PM doc to look at my neck cuz it seemed "weird" to me and she about flipped. In the 6 months time from surgery two muscles on one side atrophied to nothing and that was causing me lots of problems in my neck and shoulders.

If I hadn't asked someone to actually look though, I don't know how much longer it would have taken before I started getting the root cause looked into and the rest treated properly.

Hang in there. We are here for you. Just don't let your docs give up on you, by being your own advocate if you are capable.

"C"
  • That was my question a few weeks ago to my surgeon and he told me what I already figured out and the answer is no. My posterior revision surgery will be 2 years old this Feb and I am no better off. My revision was done 5 months after adcf and it has been downhill for me ever since. A lot of my pain is nerve pain but I have all the other aches and pains also. I wake up each morning to that awful headache that starts where my head is attached to my neck. Since May of this year my shoulder has decided to give me trouble and now 6 months later and 2 sets of shoulder injections not to mention physical therapy it all boils down to my neck, which I figured out also. It does take a long time to recover from the posterior surgery and for nerves to calm down, usually about a year. There are days I wish I had never had any surgery at all or at least explored more options but you can't look back.

Sharon
  • Thanks for responding. Yeah it has been hard I had five surgeries in a 14 month period. One was foot surgery and back surgery, then two neck surgeries and another back surgery to remove the hardware.My back seems to be doing fine now it is all in my neck now. I have been frustrated. I do have pain meds but do not like taking them do to the reactions I have to all of them.The three neck surgeries have just done me in guys. Thanks for your encouragement.

advertisement