Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACD w/F still neck/shoulder pain and headaches

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Just joined - great site by the way. Helps our mental state I think to talk with "real people." I had ACD w/fusion 3 months ago - C5-C7 area. Surgery ok - no biggie. Still low neck mobility and into the shoulder - no change on that. Still some numbing down arm. Was told shoulder was separate issue and need scope on that too. But the constant migraine feel in back of neck and low skull is really bad EVERYDAY. Does the mobility get any better on the turning point of things in time? Any ideas on what to do with that? I have had migraines for 35 years but not the same as these. I feel constrant strain on this area... any known exercise for this that is safe? I had to stop yoga. Had to stop life in general really - it seems. I also have stenosis, early degen disease and sciatica. Anyone else out there this way - I am 49 - feel 60. Do you ever feel like the DRs make you out to be a drug addict for asking for pain meds? I am getting so tired of being insulted. Phys Therapy made me worse so I had to quit. Yoga was useless- so limited. I cant afford massages - and losing my insurance next year. I would appreciate any suggestions on pain meds and/or any alternatives that I could try. Thanks and good luck to all of us in this boat!
advertisement

Comments

• I actually have an appointment with a Neurologist today abouut my headaches because these do not feel like my typical migraine. My surgeon says they are not related to my surgery so I'm just not sure. They are what I have termed "Explosive". They don't follow my typical migraine pattern and I haven't had a migraine in 8 years since I got rid of the stressor in my life. Turned out my ex was the cause of them. Here's what I did. I went back to my PCP who wrote my prescription for my trusty old migraine medicine. If you think yours is coming from your neck talk to haglandc. You should educate yourself about the different types of headaches and "c" can give you some good information. Have you told your doctor about your headaches?
  • Hi and welcome to Spine Health. Well here's the cool part ... you don't have to feel 60, at least not every day and maybe not even when you actually are 60. I turn 47 next month and I have had my "OMG I feel old" days. However I refuse to let that rule my life.

With the type of headache you are describing, I can understand why you feel that way. That's the headache where you don't want to wake up in the morning let alone stay in bed, because both are just as bad. You try to put on a game face for everyone and as soon as they aren't looking all you want to do is curl up in a ball. At some point (for me anyway) it felt like someone was reaching up under the edge of my skull and just trying to rip it open at that point.

I gave up worrying about the thing with dr.s making me feel bad for asking for pain control. I basically wouldn't leave them alone until they found a way to do something for me.

Do you have any appointments with a neurologist or pain management doc at all?

Hang in there! We completely understand!

"C"
  • I wrote this morning and appreciate the feedback. I have regular Neuro visits. My DR seems sad for me and is aware of the pain and changes. He didnt change my meds or anything for he feels the shoulder needs done. I will be getting that referral next week... we will see from there. I was on regular Pain Mngmt visits until about 8 mos ago. Got so tired of all the injections and not really helping that I didnt go anymore until something else was done. Had been going now for about 5 years. So - I fussed until I was referred for surgery. Hope the shoulder is the answer to making it better but was told it would not just disappear which I knew. Stenosis is progression, my sciatic was first, then the shoulder and numbing arm, then the back and neck area... I had migraines since a child. I felt the migraines would stay but these back neck/low skull ones are different and I feel them sharper when movement is being done. I was a big ebay person but this is affecting that and I am down to minimal parttime job. The surgery looks good on film - but the real progress is truly in how we feel. I dont feel it did much good but I am glad I did have it. I will have what I can fixed and hope for good days where I can. I have lupus as well - and honestly - I know I wont feel too good as times goes on. I am holding my own for now though. Thanks for all the help guys!
  • I didn't realize that you also have Lupus. Your pain must be almost intolerable some days. I have done some work with our local Lupus Foundation chapter and I've heard so many stories about the symptoms and treatments. I do not have lupus but have lost 2 dear friends because of it. That's why I help out with the foundation. It is a condition that is near and dear to my heart and not many people know about or understand it. Sometimes I can barely say the word without tears because it breaks my heart. I want you to know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    NEVER, EVER give up! Fight with all that you have in you.
    With all my heart,
    Tonya
    P.S. You can private message me with this one if you'd like because I would like to hear your story. It helps to educate me even more.
  • im 38 and i have had fusions and rods in t9,10,11,12 and L1 and cervical 4,5,and 6 ive been getting headaches everyday its horriable i cant do my regular housework half the time,it makes you feel useless seeing my neuro on sept 16th to see what he thinks, ive tried everything with the pain doc nothing works,hope everything works out with all of you i too love this site its a nice release so you dont feel like your going crazy,good luck
advertisement