Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF 11/17.. headaches?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have spinal cord compression from herniated c5/6 disc. ACDF on monday.
2 yrs of progressively worse tingling/numb fingers in right arm and "stinger" down arm if I get nudged in ice hockey. As I type I have a headache. Realize I've been having them for a year or more. constant pain on the top of my head and towards back of head. I've not connected the two till I was diagnosed last week and need surgery. Are they related?
Also, I have a high tolerance for pain (no meds with my 3 kids' births, etc) but also with that brings pain meds that don't work (and I'm allergic to vicodin and codeine) Any suggestions for how to get pain meds that WORK for recovery?

Thanks!
advertisement

Comments

• I wish you all the best for your surgery on Monday. I hope you've had a MRI or ct to check what is causing the headaches. I wish I could tell you it's related but only a Doctor could answer that. Let us know how you're you're doing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have heard of people who had fusion at our level and headaches have stopped. My doctor however says that my headaches are in no way related to my spine so only your doctor will be able to tell you specifically. Also from what I've read if headaches were related to your spine they would be at a higher level say c2 and would more likely be related to a nerve issue going on there. So the jury is kind of out on that one. I too am HIGHLY allergic to hydrocodone. I will end up in the ER unable to breathe and broken out all over. So there are many alternatives to those drugs that work well. Make sure that you tell every medical professional you meet about your allergy because I've found I may tell the doctor and he might not communicate it to the hospital or whatever the case might be. I also have a high tolerance to pain meds. I've read some posts around here who think it might related to your metabolism rate. I tend to agree. Doctor's think that since I am short and weigh only 90 lbs that they can knock me out with pediatric size doses of things. Then I surprise them after they shoot me full of morphine and I'm sitting up having a conversation. I'm even difficult to sedate. I made my anesthesiologist PROMISE that I would not wake up in the middle of my procedure. He promised and I didn't. I have in the past woke up in the middle of a surgery and it is so scary. So you just be very clear with your doctor about your concerns and then tell them all again to the hospital staff who are taking care of you. Make sure you see the big red Allergic sticker on any folder you see a doctor or nurse with. Then after your surgery you can come back here and ask as many questions as you like. We're a friendly community here and all willing to help when we can.