Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had injection yesterday

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Spinal Injections
Hey guys,
I went in for my injection yesterday. I talked with the doc and he thought it would be best to try a midline injection. This, unfortunately does not usually require sedation...OMG, it was just awful! I walked out a few minutes later and went home. Not long after, I was in horrible pain and today it's worse. I called the surg center to ask if that's normal. She wanted to know if it was just the injection site. No, it is also down my legs and low back. She said that may mean it's working and should only feel that way for a couple days. Pain meds bringing it down to about an 8. If I tilt my head down,(which I am resolved not to do again)horrible shooting pain in low back. Why is this? Anyway, Doc said that we would try this and if it works, do another in a week or so. I will ask to be sedated! If it doesn't work, he wants a bone scan, he thinks it may be a facet joint problem? Then, we would try nerve ablation, I think he said. I just wanted to let you guys know, no relief yet, and just waiting. Is this just pain from the injection trying to work?
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry you're having so much pain. Are you putting ice? I don't know what a midline injection is other than the location. Is it an epidural? Hope you're feeling better. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Well I just had my first injections Sunday before last and yes it was an ungodly painful procedure. :''( They gave me a drug to give a little sedation, but it didn't take. I had 4 injections done bilaterally (both sides) at L3-4 and L 4-5. The first day I was in horrible pain, but woke up the next day feeling much better. Now I only have to take light pain meds 2-3 times a day instead of massive doses every 4 hours. Since mine seems to be helping I'm sure he'll want to do a second set to see if we can get rid of the pain altogether so I can get back to work.
    Did your doc use a fluroscope to guide the needle? If not he may have hit something or else the shots are taking a lot longer to work. Unfortunately, everyone reacts differently. I hope you get better soon.
  • I had 2 epidurals without flouroscope(moving xray where they have injected the dye to see if the needle placement is correct) I think. The Anesthetist says he didn't use one for women getting epis for childbirth so they don't need to use it. I'm going to another pain management Doctor because I didn't like this Pm Dr. calling me obese and saying I had too much tissue there. I'm a size 14 and I don't think that's really overweight. Anyways after my epi it hurt for a couple of days and found relief from sciatica around the 8th day about 20-40% effective. Lyrica really helps the pain also. I hope you feel better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had my fourth caudal injection on Monday and I am in horrible pain! Far worse than the three other times. I called the pain clinic and the doc graciously will allow me to take one extra norco for two days! Thanks for the popcorn tip that sounds like it might work. I will be sure to have some ready if I go through the next two injections scheduled for December. My tip for the day for heat is to buy a twin size electric blanket and use it as an oversized heating pad. I have mine wrapped around my back, hips and legs as I'm laying here typing on my blackberry phone. No way I can sit at the computer right now so thank god for this phone! Many sleepless nights I've laid here and read others stories and found encouragement to face tomorrow!
  • It was a steroid injection. He said my fusion was L4/L5/S1 which I had originally thought was just L5/S1. So he did the injection above that. It was just so painful and I still can barely move. I'm really hoping it's just some after effects and will start to help, but I guess I will wait a couple days to see. If it does work, I know I will be sedated next time! LOL! What exactly is a flouroscope? I don't think he used it. All I saw was needles....I have been icing, but it doesn't seem to help. I use a frozen bag of popcorn. Works much better than peas, because you can re-freeze easily. Just a tip for everyone, if you haven't heard of it....Thanks for your support! I'm glad yours seem to be working.
  • Good idea about the electric blanket. I'm always moving the heating pad around! How big of your doc to let you take and extra one. =D> I just don't think people really get it. I have been taking the norco 10/325 for my leg pain and after the injection, I can't really feel a difference in pain when I take them. Maybe slightly, but not significant. The pain caused by the injection does seem better than yesterday but I can't tell if it's working or not yet. I'm just so glad it's letting up a little. I so wish I had a blackberry or a laptop! It kills to sit at the computer even on normal pain days. Re: the PM doc...I don't think we even have more than one in my town. There are 3 docs who do injections and treatments, but none prescribe meds. I have been told by every doc I have ever seen that my back will always hurt, we are trying to get the leg under control. I will probably always have to take meds, so I don't want to leave my GP when most docs in town won't take new patients with chronic pain. Thanks to all the abusers, docs are scared! You just mention chronic pain, and there is a distinct attitude change. (I was looking for a doc for my father)
    Anyone know anything about nerve ablation? I guess that will be the next treatment if the bone scan points that direction.
  • I had two cortisone injections. The first one was so horribly painful that I had an involuntary reflex and hit the table by my head. :''( OMG it was horrid.

I ended up talking with the PM and told him that I didn't think I could convince myself to do this again. So he prescribed a Valium. I took it an hour before the injection. It took the edge off. I also took a Vicodin at the same time. The 2nd one still hurt like crazy. But because I was still upset after the 1st experience, they decided to let my husband go into the injection room with me. (The front desk had said it wouldn't be allowed. The dr said it was fine.) After the 2nd injection, the nurse said that my fingers were white and my knuckles were turning blue from squeezing my husband's hands. Glad I didn't hurt him.

I hope you guys get relief. I did not. The third injection was canceled due to no relief. I am now facing a fusion on l4/5 and l5/s1. Not where I wanted to be.....
  • I hope you are doing better since November! My injection freedom only lasted 3 weeks, so I am scheduled for another one this weekend, Dec 14th. My MD says he will not give me any thing else for the sedation, so I am prepared for the worst. I really torqued my neck up with the first one, it hurt for 2 weeks. I have mine done as an out patient in the OR at the hospital where I work. The Fluoroscope is a fancy x-ray type machine that, like Charry said shows the doc where the needle is before they inject the stuff. My doc pushed in so much numbing medication that I could not walk until late afternoon. I will do this last one, if it doesn't do any better, that will be it. I will try Neurontin or Lyrica for pain as now I am having trouble with hives taking Lortab. My MD doesn't want to give me anyting stronger for pain, so I'll probably drop him and find a pain management doc or something. Have to work so have to have help with the pain.
  • I certainly can commiserate with you, I had my first ESI this past Monday and it hut something awful, 4 days in and I am still in discomfort, I am taking Vicodin as prescribed and it is just barely taking the edge off, where as before the shot the pills were working very effectively.

I called in to the surgery center and was advised that it may take up to 1 week for the shot to be effective and that they made note my discomfort.

I have an appointment next week with my new PM and hope that by then the shot takes effect.

I truly hope your pain begins to subside soon.

R
advertisement