Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness and tingling

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi Everybody,
I recently had a discectomy two and a half weeks ago. The surgery was necessary because the sciatic pain became so debilitating that I could no longer stand or sit because of the severe pain. I tried two epidural shots and had some physical therapy, but both did not work. I had a herniated disc in the L5-S1 area. The surgery went well and I no longer have the constant sciatic pain down the right leg. However yesterday I started experiencing tingling in my right foot and at times it feels like it is traveling down my right leg. I am scared that something is wrong. Has anyone experienced this and if so what have your doctors told you? I don't have the pain that I had, I can actually walk, sit, and stand without a problem. However I am scared that this tingling means that my symptoms are coming back.
Can anyone shed some light on this and help me out?
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,715
    ">image

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    ________________________________________________________________________________
    I would not be alarmed about that numbness. You are still very new in terms of recovery regarding your surgery.
    The time it takes for Nerve recovery is much longer. A lot depends on how much damage their was to the nerve roots and how long you were dealing with the nerve root problems.
    For myself, after the 3rd Lumbar surgery, it took almost a full year to recover from the nerve damage. Be patient.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi Teach, a lot of times nerves are irritated as a result of spine surgery. I had a fusion and my NS told me it was normal to have a return of pre-op symptoms and even new symptoms from the nerves being messed with. If you are concerned please call your surgeon to get his/her opinion. Have you been doing too much perhaps? Are you following all restrictions such as no BLT? Take care and hope you feel better soon. >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Yes, that can be very scary. Have you possibly overdone it? That might cause some inflammation. I was told nerves repair 1 cm a month, so depending on how tall you are, it can take quite a while for the nerve to fully heal. Hope you feel better soon!
  • Yes, it is early days yet so dont be alarmed unless it gets worse. However a call to the Drs if it will re-assure you could be worth while.
    Have you possibly been sitting too long. SOmetimes it if feels OK to sit we can overdo it then pay the price later.

Cherish- interesting info. Now if I am 168cm does that mean 168 months I have to wait and do they repair from the feet up or the head down :))( I think i'd like to try to understand that better.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Cherrish is absolutely right nerves do only repair themselves at 1 cm per month. That's why many doctors are not overly concerned when they hear about symptoms of numbness and tingling even if it's new. Many people are told that symptoms like this can remain for up to a year because of the slow growing nerve. They have to move around muscles and nerves to get to the discs they need to work on. Needless to say muscles and nerves do not like to be moved around. They like to be in their proper place. But if you are concerned about it then always talk to your doctor.
advertisement