Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5-S1 disk fusion or disk replacement options

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have bulged disk with an annular tear at L5-S1 my Dr who is an orthpod has rep of being good offered me choice of spinal fushion or disk replacement. Said I would be able to return to full duty with no restrictions and be pain free. (just found out he tends to be aggresive) not sure if that's good or bad considering my dilema. I have heard a lot of horror stories about spinal fusions. I already have been in physical therapy for 5 months. I have had three epidurals. I have gotten some relief but still have pain that moves around my lower back. I cant stand or sit for long periods of time. I tried wearing weighted belt during physical therapy to simulate duty rig and pain came back with a vengance tonight. After doing some reading I have read bad things about disc replacements too. I just want to get back to work an on with my life. Because of what I do a run the risk of being injured again if not multiple times. This is a workcomp case. They have me going for a second opinion and I just found out that Dr is whatever the inusrance wants type of Dr and isn't well respected by his peers. Their goes getting an honest 2nd opinion. I put a call into my uncle who is a Dr and has spent almost his whole carrer at teaching hospitals. He put a call in and I'll be getting a call tomorrow from a spinal Dr who will be reviewing my case and putting my best intrest first. My wife also found out some of Dr's she used to work with quit doing disk replacements all together and have moved onto other options because of inherit risks to patients and comlications. Look for any imput and advice I can get. This whole thing has me freaked out. Froim what I have read with the disk replacement I run greater risks of death if I get injured in the same area again. I had to quit searching because I wasn't finding anything that sounded positive. Thanks in advance for any help. :??
advertisement

Comments

• Welcome to spine-health,do you have a lawyer?
  • No lawyer. I didnt think this was going to turn into what it has.
  • You should talk to a workmens comp lawyer,if you were injured on the job.....
  • You really do because when it comes to workmenscomp, it is horror!!! :''( I also have a comp case and I have a lawyer. I also have the same problem as you do. Feel free to ask me any questions!!!
  • hi there,
    i was working as a paramedic when i got hurt really bad on a call. i had to eventually get a lawyer because wc was refusing me the right to a second opinion. the first just said that i would have to get another career and live with the pain. not an option. well i had the adr and in my case the recovery was long and hard. i thought i would be back on the streets in 6months. no, i no longer work the streets because i can't lift over 30-40 pounds. my back pain is gone but because i had to wait over a year for treatment from wc and during the surgery they stretch the nerve sometimes trying to get the adr in place i have permanent nerve damage in my rt leg. I am back in school full time for chem degree and application to med school. i teach part time as a paramedic instructor. i take some pain meds and nerve meds but i function well as long as i don't over do it. I am glad i had the surgery despite the hell of recovery because i could not have dealt with the pain I was in. what do you do for a living? pm me sometime and i will gladly answer any questions you have. i don't keep up very well on the forums so pm is better for me to respond. good luck and take care.
    -chelle :-C
  • Thanks for advice. Met with lawyer today. He will be notyfing workcomp they will be dealing with him and telling them to get papaerwork started for my 2nd opinion. I have already been referred by my primary who is handeling my overall care so they can't deny me which I already knew. Hopefully everbody will start playing fair and as for the hack their sending me to for their expert opinion it's a waste of their money. He isn't well qualified and my current back dr already said I need surgery and is very qualified, well known and is considered an expert. A lot of insurance companies use him as their expert for a second opinion. My lawyer was very pleased to find out he is my back dr said usually hes on the other team. He said it makes everything a whole lot easier. Now to get to other dr to see if I have any other surgical options.
  • My fiance has a bulged L5/S1

told he needs spinal fusion - heard horror stories and wants to go back to work and doctor is fine with him having a cane to walk with at age 35 - he is a firefighter and NOT fine with it...

We would like him to get a disk replacement... and ideas (other than Germany) where he can go to get the "Maverick" here in the US?

What disk did you have put it?

THANKS...!!!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.