Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sleeping after cervical surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I've done a lot of reading over the past few weeks, and I'm concerning with sleeping after a 2-level ACDF. Most people say they sleep in a recliner because they can't sleep flat in bed.

Any experience with this or suggestions to make sleeping in bed easier???
advertisement

Comments

• Then I spent tons of money on pillows that were suppose to help me but didn't. Then I went to one of those really big discount chain stores and bought 3 of the softest pillows I could find and I could mold until I felt comfortable. That's what finally worked in getting me back in my bed. I wish I could get back all of the money I wasted on the expensive ones. Will you be in a collar? I think I've begun to conclude that wearing a collar is why most people end up in the recliner. I had no collar and it seems every doctor is different about them.
  • I had a C2 ganglionectomy that wound up taking 2 posterior surgeries in 8 days. I had to wear a collar for a couple weeks, but could take it off for lying down. I was staying in a place for outpatient care and they brought me tons and tons of soft moldable pillows everyday. I wedged myself in between a mountain of pillows so that I wouldn't move when I was asleep.

"C"
  • I'll be in a hard collar for about a week, but that's it (so I'm told by the NS).

I bought a wedge pillow (12") -- and I'm hoping that will help me watch TV in bed.

My Mom's bringing me some big, fluffy pillows.

I was worried about getting in and out of bed too. I guess you don't realize how much you use your neck muscles until you don't have them to use.
  • You should be shown after surgery how to correctly get out of bed. It's like a gentle roll to the side and pushing up with your arm so that you don't use your neck muscles. You could probably save on the wedge pillow too by just building up the soft pillows to a level that doesn't put pressure on your spine. I looked at them and discounted them as they are mostly made of foam and I couldn't stand the foam even under a soft pillow. It seemed to undo my soft pillow method for comfort. I was like "C" I didn't want to roll over in the middle of the night and wake myself up with pain. So molding pillows to restrict movement is another good piece of advice. I was a stomach sleeper so this was really hard on me at first. I had never slept on my back but you do what you gotta do to get better.
  • . . . I sleep on my back a lot, but when those terrible flares hit and you can only sleep in one position with your head turned to one side ALL NIGHT, it's miserable!!! But, some sleep is better than no sleep.

I like the pillow idea to keep me in one place.

Thanks All!!!
advertisement