Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hi there!

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
I just signed into this and have been dealing with multiple back issues for 6 years. Have had three laminectomy/decompression surgeries covering most of lumbar vertabre and 3 thorasic. Have developed spinal stenosis/arthritis/ddd/chronic herniations/...can no longer work, clean my apartment, walk very long, stand upright very long, and surgery is not an option at this time due to my weight. anyone else out there facing simular?? btw--am also single mom to 4 kids-1 grown-other three in grade school. :?? :''( ~X( :&
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry you are still suffering from chronic pain. :''( i see you mentioned weight issues and i wanted to let you know there is a weight loss group here on the forum. pm me if you are interested. having pain we face alot of different issues when it comes to weight loss. ~X( i have pain without surgical options as you do. good luck in your future pain treatments. Jenny :)
  • thanks for the welcome--as far as weightloss goes, i am trying to eat less/better but actually losing weight is very difficult due to basic inability to exsercise.
    my biggest frustration comes from this horrible circle/cycle i've found myself in. was always big, but gained 100 lbs from meds, bed rest, and decreasing mobility. surgery would increase mobility, and help me lose weight--can't do surgery because of the weight--almost impossible to lose the weight w/o the surgery.
    have entertained idea of bariatric surgery, but am not comfortable with the idea.
    arggghhhh!!!!! ~X( :''(
  • :) some of us have little or no exercise due to pain yet we do lose by lowering our caloric intake. :? if nothing else, we stop anymore weight gain and stay in maintenance. not putting anymore weight on is so important. ~X( you should think about giving it a try. you just might surprise yourself. Jenny :)
  • My best investment has been a stationary recumbent bicycle I bought 2 months ago. I do 30 minutes a day and have lost 10 lbs and the swelling has decreased around my ankles from the meds. The backrest keeps your back supported. I have it parked in front of the TV. I'm glad you're here. You will get the support you need. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Have you heard of the stomach band? That is supposed to be fairly simple surgery with great results. Maybe your insurance will cover a bariatric doc since you need to lose for surgery? I am also as limited as you are in my activities and have really put on weight. Now, I am suffering from depression and all of the meds that I have tried for that have added to my weight along with the pain meds. So, I can definitely relate to you. You have come to the right place for understanding and support. Are you on any nerve pain meds? I was on Topomax for awhile and it takes the weight off but I couldn't deal with the other side effects. Good luck to you and keep us posted.
  • have heard of lap-band, and ins. would probably eventually cover it, but there are many other issues involved with for the after care that i'm not sure that I can handle. As far as meds, i'm currently on;neurontin, celebrex, detrol, furosimide, chantix, potassium, simvistatin, vicodin, and robaxin. also currently switching from cymbalta to eflexor, so am taking both. :sick:
advertisement