Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

360 fusion went well home next day!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers. I was home the next day by 10 am. It was so much nicer to be in my own bed. The doctor spent just over 2 hours!!!! doing the 360 fusion. I went in at 7:30am and was in post-op by 9:40am. My husband told me they call the family several times during the surgery with a private phone they give to the family so they can go to the cafeteria or for a walk and still keep on contact with whats going on. What a great idea. Then they can tell the family to come back to the waiting area to talk to the surgeon when the operation is done. The staff was great, very caring and helpful I would go back there again if I had to. I walked 2 hours after surgery with help from my husband and the nurse. After that I could get up with the log roll and walk with my husband until later that night I could walk by myself. I was amazed I could do so good so soon. I will let everyone know how it goes later this week but I wanted to say hello and thanks to everyone. Best wishes to all and a aspeedy recovery.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm happy for you that everything went well. Thanks for keeping us posted. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • YIIPPPPEEEEEEE that is so AWESOME!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D>
    Just take it easy hun and take your meds on time to the "T"
    and REST!!!! I) I) I) I)
    I am so very happy for you that things went so well. We have a hospital here like that , I will be going to for my bypass surgery. With the phones etc so family can do what they please and they page you. I think that is the most wonderful invention. :B :B
    You continue to take care of yourself. We are here for you if you need anything or have one of your "bad" days that comes along with this surgery!!! ;)

Lots of huggies to you
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Hope you continue to recover well. God Bless!!
  • Hi Pika,

You are AMAZING!!! So happy that your surgery went so well. But still, you have to remember that your body experienced major trauma, so treat it accordingly. You can walk, just don't overdo your activities.

Wishing you a successful and complete recovery,

Kin
  • #:S I was thinking about you all week, afraid to call. :SS I will leave it up to you for when you are feeling better to call me first. Needless to say, since I am having the same surgeon and same facility - I am greatly reassured!! Please take it easy and do everything he says so you can heal quickly! You are in my prayers!!!
  • I am really impressed that you were able to go home so soon! Please keep us posted on your progress.

• Just curious - what did your surgeon tell you about expected recovery time, restrictions, etc? I am wondering if the shorter surgery time lessens the expected recovery time?
  • Glad to hear you're doing well :)

There was no way in HELL I was moving ANYWHERE 2 hours after surgery. Lol. I had to be practically pulled out of bed the morning after my surgery, on Morphine PCA pump til I got Dilaudid and finally agreed to move. LOL.

It must depend a lot on what they do. I'm guessing it was minimally invasive. My surgery was 6 hours long, 4 day hospital stay. Also with meg, wondering what the restrictions are, recovery time, etc...

Make sure you get lots of rest, even if you do feel alright, your body still needs it! Take advantage of your time to be spoiled and waited on :) Wish you the best with your recovery!
  • Not to jump in here and answer for Pika, but when I saw this same doctor, he said because of the way the spine was stabilized so well to begin with, that the healing process is faster. I am not sure about the recovery time for a shorter time for surgery, but I would imagine that it would help having a shorter surgery time - less stress on your body in general, less anesthesia - which he told me leads to ilius (constipation or obstruction of bowels).
  • I can't imagine how the stability of the spine would affect the healing of the muscles, tissues, tendons, intestines, etc... I don't know? BUT... the shorter surgery time and less anesthesia has definitely got to make a difference when it comes to the digestive system/bowel functions... Maybe that's why she had such a short stay. I know I had horrible digestive issues, right up until the 4th day a couple hours before I left. I know they like to keep the amount of anesthesia as low as possible.

I'm curious as to the approach used. Were the front and the back both approached in a minimally invasive way, Pika?
  • Thanks for the well wishes everyone, I will keep in touch. The procedure was not minimally invasive just a different way for the job to get done. He cuts the lower abdomen horizonatally as to lessen the movement of the contents. They used retractors to open me up and gain access to the disc space where they placed the titanium disc replacement. They sewed me up and flipped me over. Cut open my spine about 6 inches directly over the spine bones and went in and put in the hardwear and bone graft to aid in fusion. I have those nice staples in the back and steri strips in the front as well as ster strips over my hip bone. I finally went after my Milk of Magnesia kicked in!!! My husband made me dinner and I have walked again and slept a couple of hours this afternoon. I even threw the frisbee to one of my dogs today in the back yard. I didn't twist, just wrist flipped it but that was good enough for her. The dogs know mom had something up, animals are smart like that. I will take it easy, I promise. I want to be back to myself, safely and efficiently. I will call you later emtlady. I spoke to the doctor about you and I talking. He said it was nice for us to be able to share... Later All...
  • No BLT for a while. I am sure he will give me more specifics in two weeks at my check-up. I will let you know then. He does expect me to walk a mile a day... not all at one time but it helps healing, bowels, fusion...
  • that you are doing so well PIKA you are an inspiration for us all.

As KIn said dont feel like you have to do too much and remember that you ahve been through a lot even if it doesn't feel like it (meds help) so just be gentle with yourself and keep healing :))(
    Blessings Sara O:)
  • So glad you did so well! Be good to yourself for a while, ok?
  • I am still going :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: =))
    Your story is just AMAZING =D> =D> =D> =D>

After both back surgeries I also could not imagine moving the first day, besides they would not let me.
    I would love to try to keep this post up on the first page all the time if we could :? :? B) It gives inspiration to others going in for surgery!!! :D :D
    I mean of course not everyone is going to be like your story ;) So I want them to remember that to.
    Your norm hospital stay for that type of procedure is 3-5 days. So all the anthestic is out of your system , your pain is undercontrol and can walk, sit and eat with no issues.
    WOW WOW AGAIN sorry I know I am repeating :D :D I am just still so amazed!!!!
    I hope your feeling well today!!!
    I think alot has to do with our physical make up, our pain tolerance etc etc etc. ;) Of course the Dr to is HUGE in this picture.
    Yes your right when I came home to, the anaimals knew somehow and were very gentle.

Take care Pika!! Keep giving updates!!! This is a very interesting story O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
  • All I can say is AMAZING and GOOD FOR YOU. <:P >:D< =D> >:D< =D> >:D< =D> >:D< <:P

Take it one day at a time and above all else keep a POSITIVE ATTITUDE.

My left hip and basically my whole left side was extremely brused. Don't know what that's all about but I plan on asking next Monday during my follow up appointment.
  • Just be careful the dogs don't bolt. I had my lab bolt on me...took me to the ground and broke 2 ribs. This was a few years ago, not after surgery, but be careful!
  • Hi,
    I know this thread is from November. I told ya I wanted to keep it up ahead so others could see. So it would give other patients some hope when they go in.
    Just checking in to see how the recovery is going???????
    I'm still very very sore and mine was in Sept.
    I know we are all different, chemical makeups, physical shape, the surgeon, pain threshold there are so many things that contribute to the time line and how you felt when you came home....
    Your story still amazes me. :jawdrop:

We did have a guy back on the old site that even posted a pic of him out to dinner with friends 1 wk later after a fusion so it does happen.

I'm just still aww that a surgeon would even let anyone go home after all that cutting etc in 1 day. Ya don't see that very often at all..

Hope your doing well, not overdoing it etc.
    Hope your Holiday season went off without a hitch!! :D

Now did you have something done on your neck to as in a Anterior cervical fusion? at one time??? OR am I confusing you with someone else???? Wouldn't be the first time with me ;) #o
  • Terri, I am still doing well, no setbacks(yet) hopefully never. I forgot to mention I also had an artificial disc replacement(ENDOSKELETON) from titan-spine.com. You do have me confused with the cervical gal but hey its tough talking to so many people. I am really good and chipped ice yesterday and today and feel fine. I have a physical job and have to wait the full 12 weeks but I was able to return at 6 weeks. I cannot believe I feel like this, it's as if nothing happened. I guess when you have so much going on it feels so good not to have constant pain. I see so many people here at this site who have so much trouble post-op I feel for them. I cannot even tell I have an ADR, amazing. Thanks for thinking of me Terri and Best Wishes for your recovery.
  • Fusion Axial Lif on Jan 20 for L5/S1 with extra support screws. Reading all the post makes me feel GREAT! I really have hope that I will be up and around and after the surgery and feeling better very soon! Thanks for all the good news on this and continued recovery!

Backtyme
  • for the thoughts. I wish you a speedy recover as well. I really feel like it was a miracle, no pain!
advertisement