Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Insomnia with Lyrica and pain.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Sleep Problems
:''( Hi all
I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions,of how to get some form of sleep. I take 50mg of lyrica 2 three times a day, and have found that the only side effect i suffer from is insomnia.

Which to me at the moment is getting worse. I do not want to stop the lyrica as it helps a little. However between insomnia and neck pain i am finding it more difficult to function. As tonight it is 2am and i am nowhere near ready to sleep, 4am being the norm. ~X( Even though i am awake all night i still awaken at nine am, this leaves me lethargic throughout the day.

So i would be greatfull if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks. (|:
advertisement

Comments

• :) hi! :H i take 300mg of Lyrica daily and find quite the opposite effect, sleepiness. I) i am sorry you are having trouble sleeping. :''( drop by the "Sleeping Problems" forum when you are awake one night. have you tried the sleep aids melatonin and magnesium? they are supplements you can get at your health food store or even the pharmacy. anyway,i have trouble sleeping too so i know what you are going through. i wish you the best. i want to welcome you to the forum as well. we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. Jenny :)
  • I have not tried either of these supplements and will give them a try. And thank you for the warm welcolme. >:D<
  • Have you tried some warm milk? It has tryptophan released when milk is warmed and can help you relax.
    I also tell myself to relax and think of no other word but "relax."
    I also drink camomille tea to help me get sleepy.
    I have to take a prescription sleeping pill at times oxazapam (Serax)
    Take care and hope you get some sleep. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have MS, and started taking Lyrica about one month ago. I take 75mg twice daily and find myself wide awake until 11pm or so, which is hard for me as I am up for work at 4am. I have tried the non medicinal route - Mellatonin (sp?) and it seemed to work for me once - any suggestions? Tks Lori
  • I have extreme difficulty falling asleep since beginning 75 mg Lyrica @ 3 times per day for CMT pain. Perhaps insomnia with the lower doses of the drug this is more common as opposed to sleepiness with higher doses. When I put my head on the pillow and close my eyes sometimes it takes me an hour and a half to actually begin sleeping. The waiting for sleep is terrible. It's painful laying there waiting to go to sleep but I dare not take an extra pain pill or the pain mgmt nurse will send me to the bighouse. :)
  • Hi,
    Why, don't you try taking a bath before going to sleep.
    That's what i do to get a wonderful sleep at night. specially after a long day of work.
    Studies show that baths lower stress, alleviate tension, and leave you feeling restful and peaceful.

EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla

• I hate to promote taking more prescription medication, but lorazepam has worked for me. It is an anti-anxiety medication and I take it at night after a glass of milk and I have no problem sleeping. It is addicting though. I have experienced insomnia in the past.
  • For what it is worth, I take 1 75mg lyrica an hour before bed and 1 xanax and i sleep solidly every night. For me they are an awesome pair.
advertisement