Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI pics and radiology report.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello my name is Cindee.

I recently went to the ER for neck symptoms and had a MRI. It has been a week now and no word from my Surgeon.

I am post ACDF 5-6-7. My surgery was July of 05.

Radiology report reads:

Large left lateral disc herniation at C4-5, This disc herniation is displacing the left half of the cord posteriorly.

Here is a pic.

Since this is herniated do you think it would heal or possible addition to my fusion? I know we are just seculating here.

Cindee
advertisement

Comments

• Are you having any numbness in your arms? Did you go to ER because of the pain for them to order the MRI?
    I would call your surgeon to see him and follow up. I know sometimes herniations are reabsorbed by the body and heal. I'm hoping that will happen for me and I'm waiting it out with meds and pain management. I don't know if herniations could heal on their own after surgery. Of course I'm not a Doctor and only like you say speculating. Keep us posted what your Doctor has to say. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • The pain I am having now is actually less than that prior to fusion. Neck ache, headache, shoulders but like prior to fusion I have electrical sensations down my back and into my leg. Since it has cord contact it is kinda different than a nerve.

I am still waiting to see if my surgeon will get me in. He wants to view films first. I may have to hand deliver them!

Cindee
  • I'm looking at your films and wondering which levels you had done previously. Is it 5-6 and 6-7? How long has it been since your first surgery?

Sorry for the herniation. I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to offer my support. That is a bummer that you have another herniation, and that it has cord compression. Let us know what the doctor says.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I had a ACDF 5-6 and 6-7 in July of 05. These were smaller bulges and one herniated prior to surgery. One actually was mildly deforming the cord at that time.

A lot of my problem is that the AP diameter of the canal is narrow to begin with.

Thanks for your thoughts and support. I will post doctor news when I here from him.

Cindee
  • I finally visited with my Ortho Surgeon Monday last week. He did say that herniations have been know to reabsorb. Time frame that was given was 3 weeks, 3 months,3 years or never.

He asked if this was affecting my daily life. Yes it is! He suggested surgery if I want. He isn't pushy at all. He did not seem to concerned because the herniation was left instead of centrally herniated.

I am trying to schedule surgery for the 11th or 12th of this month.

He is doing a C 4-5 fusion. I will have the plate for the 5-6-7 removed and a smaller plate with 4 screws this time.

I don't like the fact that something is on my cord.

Who here had the domino effect and did the second surgery help? I am only 3 1/2 years from first surgery although the 4-5 disk was a small bulge at the time of that surgery. I guess it was bound to go at some point.

My herniations keep going into the canal and messing with my spinal cord.

Am I making the right decison or am I making matter worse?

Cindee
  • I had ACDF back in March of '07. I am now having problems with my C4-5 with bulging and retrolisthesis. I see my surgeon on Friday, Dec. 5th. Pretty sure I will be having 1 or 2 more levels done. Luckily when my surgeon did my first surgery he put the newer hardware in that can simply be added to if ever needed. There are predrilled holes in the plate to add additional levels.
    Good luck to you
  • Thanks Tom.

You will have to let me know how your visit goes with the surgeon. It hasn't been that long since your first surgery. What levels did you have done?

That is cool that the plate can just be added to! Not that we want more surgery but I am sure it will lessen the time your under.

Cindee
advertisement