Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi! Just about to have 3 level disc replacement!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,899
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi, my name is Janey and I'm from England - I see there are other Brits on here as well!

On December 1st I'm going in for three level disc replacement, which I'm told is a huge and risky operation. The NHS won't fund it as they see it as too risky and with little chance of helping me improve, but like most people on here I feel I have no choice. Fusion isn'#t recommended, and the only other choice is to do nothing - which really isn't an option.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has had two or three level disc replacement to find out how they got on!

I'll repeat this post on the main boards (not sure if that's allowed, as not everyone will read the introductions thread.

Janey
advertisement

Comments

• as about a dinamic stabalization system
    i am waiting for one called dynesys

www.zimmer.com

Hope this helps
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. there are other members from England here. i hope they check in on you!! you might want to post again about your surgery in the "Back and Neck Surgery" forum. you might get more input there as you suggested. there are some good posts of successful surgeries in the "Good News" forum. are you getting a second opinion? :? you are so wise to be asking your questions!! :? good luck and please keep us posted! Jenny :)
  • Hiya, welcome to Spine health >:D< We can only offer advice and support based on our own personal experiences :) I hope you enjoy this site as much as we all do 8} I am also from england :D , you can see some of my history at the bottom of this page :) Check out the chat room here :))( , everyone is so nice and welcoming >:D< Hope to see you around :H

Angie :H
  • Hi Angie - I live near Birmingham too (Kingswinford? Near Stourbridge/Dudley).

I've had a number of second opinions and all agree I shouldn't have this surgery as it's far too risky. But none of them have come up with a viable alternative, so I have to go ahead with it anyway - I can't stay as I am.

It's a bit disconcerting, to say the least!
  • I am so sorry that you are facing such options! Either replacement or unbearable pain. I guess that you have tried the long acting opiates and nerve meds for pain relief? Disc replacement would actually be my only option also but my docs have said that it is not worth the risk. I have been told that the adr's have not been perfected yet and have a long way to go. So, I find myself coping with meds until a better alternative comes along. I wish you much luck in your upcoming surgery.
  • yes, I've tried every other form of conservative therapy and every form of pain relief.

Unfortunately, I can't wait until they've perfected this - my life is too hard now with the pain. It's a huge risk, but it's one I have no choice in making. Made even worse by the fact that I'm having to pay for it myself (over £40,000). I've had to re-mortgage my house. Just hope it works and that I can get back to work quickly to pay for it!
  • Hope to see you around, so we can have a chat :D

Angie :H
advertisement