Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So Confused Please Help!!!!!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi please help I have been preparing for my upcoming surgery and was going over the must have list and got completely overwhelmed. ~X( :/ :/ I want everthing to be just right and I wanted to get as much on that list as possible,but then I started thinking no one has mentioned underwear do you need front close bras and larger sized underwear?I heard that we should only wear white t-shirts none with dye in them is this right? What do you wear when you are just laying around the house? I love pajama bottoms and t-shirts to sleep in and the list says button front pajamas can I still wear my regular sleep wear or do I need the button front pjs? I just want everything to be as comfortable as possible and dont want to get anything thats going to hurt my incision.Please anyone that has had surgery and found what works help me with this I am ready to pull my hair out ~X( ~X( ~X(

Remona
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,
    That is a huge list. It's pretty much a combined list of what different people have used. ;)
    What levels are you having fused???
    Will you have a full brace or just a waist one???

All I used off that whole list was
    Hospital:
    Pillows (your own are more comfy)
    chapstick (A MUST)
    lotion (body and face)
    toothbrush
    baby wipes (to freshen up, they help at home to)
    hair brush
    slippers
    robe
    magazines
    book (some people can read I could of cared less) =))
    pajama set to come home in so I was comfy.
    garbage bag to slide off the seat when I got out.

Home:
    toilet rasier or commode
    grabber (a MUST) as there is no bending, twisting or lifting.
    i borrowed someone's walker and kept it next to the couch as i was alone during the day time.
    meds/food/phone/laptop/water etc I kept next to me on the couch where I slept for a few days. Then I brought all that upstairs to my room even the commode.
    Food at waist level as on the top shelf of the fridge.
    Or dry food we left on the counter.
    I showered at night time the first week, so someone was around , then I did it during the day.
    I wore jammies or loose clothes for a few weeks.
    You can wear a bra ;) ;) ;)
    Underwear to ;) ;) ;) Sometimes those are uncomfy if your incision has staples or sutures.
    I only had glue/with steri strips with a bandage so that did not bother me at all.
    When your not out walking and not dressed I pretty much just lived in jammies. Sleep shirts, ones with pants all that.
    Whatever your comfortable in.
    People mention T shirts (dye in them does not matter) to put over or under the full braces.
    Or even without a brace they are comfy.

They mention hairdresser, drs, bills and all of that before you go in, so that everything is in place and set for awhile.

Soft foods are good if you have nausea or are having a cerivcal fusion.
    Stool softeners are a MUST. Powder form or pill form over the counter.

So please don't let that list overwhelm you and try to run out and buy everything. Its just things people have used and instead of typing them over and over like we all were. Saltzworks was nice enough to combine it all.

At the hospital physical therapy will come in and give you a grabber, long handled sponge, sock thing, they will order a commode for you. It all is billed to your insurance company. Call the pre testing admissions they can tell you if your hospital does this. Not all do.
    If you perfer 2 commodes or just a toliet riser you can get them at any drugstore.

Hang in there I wish you the very best of luck with surgery!!!!!!
    Terri >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Please don't let the list overwhelm you. It is just a compilation of suggestions from members who have found those things to be helpful. Most of the items are not really "must haves", just things that have helped our recoveries to go a little easier and make us more comfortable.

Good luck with your surgery. I think a housekeeper and chef are must haves...my husband disagreed.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • That good advice but now my surgery has been moved from Dec. 17 to Nov.20 my doctor wants to prevent futher nerve damage. But it put me in panic mode so much to do so little time.
  • another question. This post got me thinking, I never thought about shirts that open from the front, :? etc... I have a rather delicate question to ask also. Without being too graphic, after you use the lifter seat on the potty, how do you attend to the paperwork? What about that time of the month for ladies? Do the PTherapy people explain that to you? Please don't laugh =)) (well okay laugh a little), but I have been trying to figure out if you can't bend our twist how you take care of these things. If this is too gross, just PM me. #:S whew okay I finally got brave enough to ask :D
  • EMT, this is cyberland, don't be embarassed to ask away B) . Now toileting: I was provided by the hospital, along with my grabber and such, a pair of what I call toilet-tongs. Basically they looked like tongs from the kitchen, but had a rubber coating on the tips. The OT at the hospital instructed me how to wad up toilet paper, grasp with the tongs and wipe. I tried it once, found it cumbersome and managed on my own without it. But if you ever come to my house for salad....beware =)) !!! I used a stand up and slight squat wipe method :))( As far as girl stuff, I didn't have to deal with that until 2 weeks out and it wasn't a problem. Beware though, anesthesia and stress, sometimes bring on the monthly early.

As far as sleepwear, I found gowns to be my favorite, and went comando for a while. You won't be able to bend or twist so anything to make life easier, right? ;) Hey you could probably practice, try to use the towdy without bending or twisting. I will admit I lost my underwear at my ankles a couple times and couldn't get them back up =))

I had a the raised commode chair that goes over the toilet. I didn't like it. The arms wear too close together and the seat seemed small. I ended up moving it to in front of the toilet and used it to put my supplies on and I could grab hold of the arms for support. But everyone is different. Take whatever the hospital will supply, you might find it beneficial :)

Good-luck, it will all be fine. Don't stress over the list. It is just a resource is all. I think the most important things are the grabber and having things in easy reach.
    >:D< Cali-Sue
  • Yep! Done that one too many times!
  • =)) =)) Thanks for explaining in a humorous and yet dignified way! I appreciate the advice and information. :B Remona, I am glad you brought these things up, I would have never thought of them.
  • Terri

Great list for the hospital, but don't forget the deodorant!

"C"
  • darn the deodorant!! "c" girl sorry i was typing under the influence again 8} 8} 8} 8}

in a way its good your surgery got moved up and your surgeon thought the need for it to be!! great dr in my eyes!! now you should be ok for the holidays and not in to much pain >:D< >:D< >:D<

oh the girl thing in the bathroom well i never needed to twist to do anything, guess i have long arms <:P <:P
    if i had the commode upstairs i kept a garbage bag/can up there.
    plus i think the huge thing people are concerned about the bathroom the are "scared" to put their arm around behind them in thinking they are going to twist by mistake. most of the time that does not happen. you should be fine!!!!!!! ;) you can bend at the knees when getting up if you have to do anything "else" ;) ;)
    i got the "dreaded" thing early in the hospital. all the stress of surgery brought it on, so i did not have to worry when i got home. also that is what baby wipes come in handy for so you can stay fresh and clean!! :D :D cause not everday are you going to feel like a shower. ok mabye you will im just lazy I) I) I) I) =))

if you need anything at all before your surgery date let us know!! we will be here for you!!
  • I can remember how I felt when I found out I had to have surgery. I only had a week to worry, though. I thought it would drive me mad!!! I felt the doc was not giving me the whole scoop on what to expect, as I was right! I only remember one incident of severe pain while in hospital...that was when they moved me from the gurney to the bed! Not fun! The rest of the 5-day stay are blurred because of the wonderful pain meds. I remember I would waken and ask if my daughter was there (most of the time she was not). She's the one I thought I could rely on because she is an RN. Nope, didn't happen.

Hope you have a network of family/friends that can bring/go get things you might have overlooked. I didn't need anything except for hairbrush...never felt like getting out of that cute hospital gown.

Try to relax (I know, easier said than done). We will all be here for you. Hope today is a good day for you!
  • When you have tubes anad iv's in you changing into pajamas before you come home is not going to happen. I came home Monday and I wear sweat pants and t-shirts around the house. I also use the toilet tongs for #2. It works for me but for #1 I have long arms like Terri. Don't worry about what you forget you won't care anyway! Just bring something to wear home that is warm and comfy for the ride home.
  • I bought several night gowns that were made of really slippery material so I could easily move around the bed (especially with my silk sheet. I have always forund PJs to make me stick to the bed :))(
    As far as underwear goes, I didn't bother for the first week as it was just too hard, kept loosing them to the ground etc. My breasts were so swollen after the op (I had 12 hrs on my stomach) that I couldn't get anywhere near a bra but a front done up one sounds like a good idea.
    Around the house i just wore lazy clothes, you know the type, elastic waist skirts, sweatshirts etc. I have NEVER heard of only wearing white t-shirts, sounds a bit silly to me unless it has something to do with braces.
    I didn't have a brace.
    Lady stuff I got the day after surgery so take pads along with you just in case, as Cali-Sue said the anesthetic can really mess with your hormones. I wish I had heard of the 'tongs' =)) =))

Most importantly - DONT SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF! >:D<

It is not worth the stress when you need to be calm and positive. I know sometimes it helps to be prepared as it takes your mind off what is coming up.
    Spend some time focusing and visualising on how great your life is going to be after all is done and dont forget to write some goals now for after surgery.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • Ladybug the button front PJs will be for hospital only so that if you have any canulars in they can thread it through an armhole and you can wear your own clothes.
    I had hospital gowns while I had drips in as I was stuck in bed for a few days anyway.
  • I'm thinking the white tee shirts were mentioned as an item to wear under a brace. Sometimes people are allergic to the dyes in the colored ones, especially if worn under the brace where the air cannot get to it. Just a thought.
  • joy i never thought of it that way. very interesting :? :?
    oh and girls ummmm the #2 i used my arms to, i could not even imagine using tong things to wipe with :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D
    again i think that comes in with being "afraid" to try to.
    not sure. :? i never had a issue with any of the spinal surgeries. it did not even hurt to sit on the toilet. i used the commode more for safty reasons so i had the handles on the side to push up with. it did not hurt to sit though. ok TMI =))
    everyone do what they feel comfortable for themself.... ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
  • I feel so much better. :) :) :)
  • *and* am at work. My surgery is one week from today and I am trying not to get myself worked up. I was glad to read this post in it's entirety. Sisterhood is a fabulous thing!! Thanks Ladies. :) There were some really helpful items discussed here.

One Love,

Stephanie :P
advertisement