Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Increase pain and limitations after L5-S1 surgery.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Lower Back Pain
After having Microdiscectomy almost 10 mons ago the pain has become unbearrable. My physical limitations have taken over my life. Is this the way it is? My surgeon told me I would have to learn to live with the pain. It's not just lower back. The pain shoots through my buttocks all the way down to my toes. I have weekness, numbness and tingling in the left leg. Also I cannot work. I take heavy pain medications which alter my moods and conditions but do not completely eliminate the pain.
advertisement

Comments

• Did you have an MRI recently? If not I would encourage you to ask your family Doctor and find another surgeon depending on te results on the MRI. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • make sure you get followed up.
    This doesn't sound right. Perhaps they let some disc material behind, altho i hope not!

• welcome to spine health.
    i have the same questions as the others. have you had a recent MRI??? in my personal opinion its very possible you have reherniated the disk again or there is a nerve being impinged just by the way your describing your pain.
    that certainly is not a diagnosis as i am not a dr, but just from what has happened to others having a micro done.
    i personally would not be happy with that drs answer to you.
    i can totally relate if you had a fusion and you were completley fused or there were other health issues that made you not a canadite for surgery again. or any type of treatments.

if it were me in your shoes i would get a second opinion from another surgeon or contact your personal care physician
    . i mean with a micro dis they are only removing part of the disk. you still have disk left in that space.

please keep up on this to the fullist, you should not have to live in the severe pain your having. sometimes we have to be our own health advocates as drs do not have all the answers for us all the time.

please keep us up to date on how things turn out for you!!!
    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
    we are here to support you the best we can through this O:) O:) O:)
  • I have a similar problem I had 1 micro and reherniated 3 months later went through a year of hell with esi's little bit of pt and alot of pain then I had another micro and re-re-herniated 2 weeks later and I'm now out of work and going through the last ditch efforts before I have a fusion.I tell you that to tell you this I don't know what caused your problem but for your doc to just say it is what it is that quick doesn't sound right there are some doc's that don't want to admit either they made a mistake or they just didn't do a good enough job. I would definatly get a second opinion and maybe a third after that before yo u throw in the towel there are alot of different opitions and opinions out there.Good luck
  • I would get another opinion.
  • i know how you feel my friend .i am typing this at nearly 4 AM as i can't sleep through burning back/leg pain .its no fun i have been this way for about 3 years .my trouble started after a car crash in 1997 .i had an operation then .but on reflection i got a good result from the first surgery!.that was a L4/L5/laminectomy.
    last Novembers op was a revisit of the L4/L5 to remove scar tissue and a bilateral discectomy at S1 and a nerve decompression at /4/5 again .
    now i have DDD and spinal stenosis.i too can't work nor can i sleep for more than 3 hours {due to back and leg pain feels like fire right down my legs and in my lower back .} so i do know just how you feel.
    i take 320mg of oxycodone .it is a very good pain killer .without it i would not have a life.after the last operation in nov i was back in hospital that Xmas .with unbearable pain .and i was told that it was SCAR TISSUE AGAIN!! and there was nothing that they could do..
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.