Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck heating pads

tonya42ttonya42 Posts: 810
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Can someone help me find a much needed item please? I'm trying to find the towel like thing that Physical Therapists use on your neck. They wrap all the way around your neck and down into your shoulders. They are just like a towel with velcro. I'm having the hardest time finding one. I don't want an herbal one which seems to be very popular. It's just that I have a simple heating pad so it doesn't reach around the side of my neck unles I squish the crap out of it so I'm only getting neck relief since it's not big enough to reach both by neck and shoulders. I get both neck and shoulder relief with this "thing" that my Physical Therapist uses. And it feels sooooo good I almost hate to leave after my appointment is over. Even if someone knows how to make one I would be willing to try that. Thanks in advance for your help.
advertisement

Comments

• hi hun,
    never heard of it. they always just used towels on me.
    wondering if you can make one?????? OR ask your therapist if they can order one for you. good idea???
    all i use is the herbal as you know.
    plus my rice sock i have that lays around your neck onto the shoulders.
    i wish ya luck on that one!!!

oh and p.s. i got my meds!! <:P <:P <:P <:P they were great about it!!

love ya
    huggies
    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • They look like a towel and they are made of terry cloth like a towel. It's just the velcro thing and how they heat it that I haven't been able to figure out yet. Write me about your rice sock. It might make a good substitute until I can find one. I will ask my Therapist tomorrow too about ordering one. They sold me putty for my hand strengthening so I just wonder if they actually have these things to. Oh I also asked if I could bring home the massage table to which they answered, "No." Bummer. I really wanted that thing too.
    P.S. Where have you been all day? I missed you! Don't leave me all alone here or anywhere else for that matter. You know I can't live without you. >:D<
  • Tonya42, I sent you a PM with a link to one I found a while back. I was not sure if I could post links on this board so sent a PM...let me know if you don't get it.

Not sure if it's exactly what you want but I was thinking of ordering it.

Sue
  • lets see i got up showered, napped cause we lost power for a few hours. lol i took it easy since i had such a hard day yesterday with pain.
    i know ya miss me when i am not around lol ;) ;)
    i got my rice sock at walmart LOVE ITTTTTT. cause its moist heat. i have it on now.

mabye to hold you off if the site kath referred you to is not what your looking for OR if it is, the sock will be some comfort to ya till the other comes in.

they heat them up in a warming machine. just like the hospy for their blankies. boy i would like one of those at home to but hey i guess thats what the dryer is for =))
  • kathal, It has heat settings on it. I had all but given up on trying to find one I could adjust the heat. I just looked at that site and that one didn't come up for me. Glad you found it. I might have to order that one tomorrow if I my PT can't get the one they use. Thanks!
  • My PT ordered one for me. I heat it by boiling the pad in a large pan. It then inserts into this terry cloth towel that is exactly what you are describing. It stays hot forever, and I love it. I have not found any other product that gives the same quality of results.

When I am in a hurry I use the rice sock that I can just throw into the microwave. Corn bags thrown in the microwave also work great and are easy to sew if you have access to dried corn (try a local farmer). They provide the moist heat. I have heard some say that they use corn syrup in a freezer zip loc bag (double it so you don't get sticky if you get a leak). All of these items can be frozen or heated.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Can they post the link to this heat pad? I think many would benefit from knowing what they are talking about? I know I want to see it.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I'm talking to my therapist tomorrow! I mean if they won't let me have the massage bed the least they can do is order this heating pad for me. :))) I couldn't figure out how they heated it. I knew it wasn't microwaved and you're right the heat lasts a lot longer than any stick on pad or most of the microwaveable things.
  • google hydrocollator steam packs. When I was sent home after my first surgery, the occupational therapist had an extra hydrocollator heating unit that was not being used, and she sent it home with me for a period of time. (I had a very attentive OT who helped me with the life-style changes of a spinal cord injury.) It was so nice to be able to keep the heat packs hot and just pull a new pad out of the unit when I was ready for it, and nothing helped my pain as good as those heat packs. After I gave it back to her, my physical therapist ordered me in my own heat pack so that I could still have one, even though I had to boil water each time I wanted to use it. I don't know the brand, but I do know it was called a hydrocollator. It seems like I paid $35 for the neck pack and the terry cover.
  • I think I know what Santa will be bringing me. This looks to be very quick and easy to use.

Cindy
    kathal said:
    Here's the link...

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HP1020-SoftHeat-Ultra-Shoulder/dp/B0015UWWC8/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1226622412&sr=8-2

Sorry! I would have put it up before but was not sure if it was allowed.
  • liken this one :D
    just remember for people reading the specific link
    that with amazon there are used and new ones.

some people may skip over that ;) ;)
    especially someone like me =)) =)) =)) =))
    typing and ordering under the infuluence 8} 8} 8} 8}

santa baby...... ok i won't sing promise =))
  • Maybe that's it and I just don't recognize it because it's not in the terry cloth wrap?? I know my appointment will not come soon enough this morning. I love my PT she has to be the sweetest thing on earth. I will let you guys know after my appointment what she says. Because now thanks to some wonderful people I have options. I'm going back to work so I want something that can go with me. I can't always sit strapped to my heating pad because sometimes I DO have to get up and walk to a broken computer. I just try really hard not to have to walk. :) So I wanted something that would come with me.

Terri you're funnny =))
    Santa baby could you bring me a heating pad that works? =)) You leave the singing around here to me. Because my throat is all nicely healed now so I love using it. :D
  • If she actually does have these will someone show me how to post a picture?
  • You were dead on. I had her take it apart for me to see what was in it. She said that I need the moist heat so I'm now off shopping for the right size since I see there are so many differnt sizes it comes in. But at least at one site the sell the hot pack and the terry cloth wraps together. Thank you again for helping me find this thing.
advertisement