Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain due to Driving

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Like oil and water, driving and back pain are not an ideal mixture. Not only can chronic back pain make life miserable for drivers, particularly if driving is one's occupation, but the very act of sitting in one position for hours on end can aggravate and even be a leading cause of back pain.
-----------------

Adam

DUI
advertisement

Comments

• welcome to spine health :H :H :H
    i take you drive truck or drive long hours for work?

we have discussed this before. some have bought a massage pad for their seat that plugs into the lighter.
    also if driving a very long distance stop to stretch and walk around.
    mabye carry ice packs in a cooler?? also a thought.

i imagine some others will come along soon to give you their ideas.
    hang in there!!
  • The Dr told me not to drive for more than 1 hour without stopping and stretching.

Harry
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,722
    For anyone suffering from spinal problems, it is SO IMPORTANT to take breaks, move around, stretch, etc before returning to what you were doing.

Staying stagnant in any one position can create problems. I can not sit by a TV more than 90 minutes at a time. I can not stay by my computer for more that 45 minutes , when flying, I need to get out of the chair and walk around about every hour or so.
    And while driving, car, truck, etc, I need to get out at least every 90 minutes.

Keeping to these guidelines has helped me do all of the above.
    We recently return from Italy, it was an 8 hour flight. I made a point of getting out of my chair and walking the aisles at least ever hour.
    Since my profession is with computers, I have to be even more cautious here. IF I stay at my workstation for over 90 minutes at one time, I will begin to SUFFER.

So to avoid additional problems or just being uncomfortable make sure you take breaks frequently.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Driving is my nemises, and I am forced to do it when absolutely necessary. Ice packs do help; I tried a massage chair that plugs into the cigarette lighter (Dr Scholls) and I find the lumps on the seat part bothers me. It has heat also and it feels good on the thoracic area. It may be helpful for someone else. I don't drive long distances either. If it's more than a 30 minute drive, forget it.
advertisement