Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

cervical pain and shoulder surgery update

leocat46lleocat46 Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
hello all
i have recently went to my OS Fri. nov. 7th. and he has ordered 6 more wks. of p.t. my surgery for torn rotary cuff was 8-21st . my range of motion has improved , but not near where it should be. the physical therapist said i could be on my way to frozen shoulder. my dr. said that my cervical problems could be prohibiting my recovery from shoulder surgery, since it is all connected. he said i may want to call my N.S. , so i called and have an appt. on tues. i need to know if my neck gets fixed, can it help with lifting my arm, without pain! i know the shoulder is longer recovery, but i have talked to other people who are able to lift their arm above my head. i had 5 wk. aqua therapy, now my O.S. has put in a new order for strengthening. the therapy i am getting for shoulder is effecting my neck big time. i feel like i am between a rock and a hard place as they say! i know i need my p.t. , i feel like they have helped with R.O.M. somewhat. better than what it was, but the pain in my neck and upper shoulder blade is on fire, and the muscle spasms are worse. i cannot put my left hand behind my back. my M.R.I. i had in may showed i had a deformity at the left neural foreman, along with rupture at c5/c6. do you think that maybe since the majority of pain is on the left side, that maybe their is something that is causing the pain , and that i am not healing properly that is maybe the cause in my cervical. does anyone have any input? i am glad i made my appt. with N.S. it did not take me long to get in since i am already a patient. i am so frustrated right now, i feel i am getting worse, with the electrical shocks going through my body! i have developed pain in my left foot, from last 3 toes, sounds weird, but the pain that shoots through there. and in the middle of my back takes your breath away. i was diagnosed with sciatica also, but i feel there could be something going on in my lower back also. you should see me walk? my kids say i walk like an old woman. well i have went on long enough, if anyone can relate , please do so. thanks alot always LEO :T ~X(
advertisement

Comments

• Leo,
    I'm sorry to hear your shoulder surgery recovery isn't going well. I don't know if having your neck operated on would help your shoulder problems or not. I had my shoulder surgery in 1991. My shoulder has never been the same. PT did help improve my ROM, but not completly. I have never been without pain since that time. After my C5-6 fusion, I improved pain-wise and nerve issues for a little while. Now I have C4-5 bulging, C4-5 exiting nerve foraminal stenosis, and on and on. For the past several months I have had continual spasms in my neck, shoulder, shoulder blade. Even deep tissue massage and taping haven't helped at all. I don't think not healing properly could be caused by your cervical issues, but the pain certainly could be, along with the muscle spasms. I've decided I want a body transplant....same brain, better body! :))( Sorry I wasn't more encouraging, but wanted to at least respond and let you know you are not alone on this journey.

Maggie
  • thanks for responding, i am sorry to hear you are having problems with your neck again, did you have another MRI?
    i agree with you , it would be nice to have a new body trade in, preferably a younger one. :D i am looking forward to seeing my N.S. Tues. to see what he has to say, i know that my shoulder pain is in both shoulders, but i just thought that more severe in left, may be due to something else going on. am i right , did you have your fusion this summer ? my problem is i compare myself to others, and i know i shouldn't. do you mean you cannot lift your arm above your head still after your shoulder surgery yrs. ago? i appreciate all the input, it helps. i will let you know what doc says. always LEO
  • What kind of shoulder surgery did you have and what were your symptoms leading up to it? I'm having horrible shoulder issues right now and we still don't know if it's cervical related or if it's shoulder. I'm still trying to figure out if this cortisone shot in the rotator cuff was successful or not.
  • Yes, I did have another MRI. My fusion was in 2007, in June. In April 08 another MRI, with another bulging disc. I can lift my arm abouve my shoulder, but it really hurts. I don't have complete ROM with it. I can't do any sustained activities above my shoulder. I have VERY short hair, as I can't hold a blowdryer up long enough to dry my hair. Lifting things down from overhead cupboards, plates and heavy stuff, is hard too. I tried painting my front door a few weeks back, and it totally laid me up! Wish I could afford a housekeeper. :))( The long muscles that go from my neck to my shoulder are in spasm 99.9% of the time. I'm getting tired of this body. I think I'll ask for a refund :''( And it's been cold and rainey, which makes me hurt worse. Hope your appt on Tues gets you some answers.

Maggie
  • ANGELA - i had full left rotary cuff tear, and 2 bone spurs protruding into tear . boy , did i feel the pain. I too had cortizone shot, did not do nothing, that is when he ordered MRI. I know what you mean about deciding if it is cervical related or the rotary cuff. i hope your dr. decides to look more into it, because it does not get any better. i first had trouble reaching for things with terrific pain in that arm about 1'1/2 yrs. ago, lifting became more of a problem ,and definately laying on that side became unbearable. i had the shoulder issues first, then i started having trouble with my neck, that is when i found out i had rupture, it has been down hill ever since. even with my shoulder surgery, i am having a hell of a time with p.t.
    MAGGIE - i know what you mean about the blow drying, i cannot do that, and especially curling my hair is one armed. i used to be a hair dresser, and i miss being able to do my hair just right. i am into strengthing my arm now in p.t. but i do not even have full r.o.m. yet! dr. said after this last 6 wks. of therapy he has ordered he is going to turn me over to my N.S. i feel that p.t. is indirectly hurting my neck even worse. the spasms are terrible aren't they. i told my husband that i feel there has been a change since one day last week in p.t. the new strengthing exercises they had me doing has done something. even though my neck aches, and burned i now have a pinching feeling with pain that is making me have tears run down my face :''( i was laying in the bed last nite watching t.v., minding my own business and it comes out of nowhere. its like they come in waves. this has been going on since last wk. i don't even want to go to p.t. tomorrow, for fear it is making it worse, until i talk to my N.S. Tues. what do you think? well you all take care of yourselves , and i hope you get answers also. alway LEo :T
  • My first cortisone shot didn't do anything either. However, this one seems to be helping with the constant pain. I had an MRI done in February and it only showed some tendonitis in two of the muscles but nothing significant. It still locks up, feels like something is pinching with some movements and I still have stiffness in it when waking up in the mornings but at least for now, the pain is gone. We have discussed rotator cuff surgery and I'll find out more early next month. Was yours done arthroscopically or did they open the shoulder?
advertisement