Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One week post ACDF (C6/7) w/PEEK Cage - Feeling OK (m)...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just thought I'd post an update. Today I'm one week post ACDF with PEEK Cage and plating on C6/C7. I made the mistake two nights ago of going to Aldi's/Goodwill and Walmart with my mother. Only about 2.5 hrs. of shopping. I suffered the rest of the night with pain in my neck and shoulders. I think it was too soon to try that but I WAS feeling pretty good all day that day. Do you guys think that was too soon?

Otherwise, my incision is healing well. I showered completely 1x so far and OMG, it was SO wonderful. I am doing it again tonight. I am also going to try the "horizontal dance" tonight, is it too soon for that too? I told him I'll just have to lay there LOL! He didn't seem to care.

Sleeping is becoming better. I finally moved to my bed last nite but after about 2 hours I was snoring so horribly I was waking myself up so I moved back to the livingroom so not to wake my hubby. Has anyone ever tried those breathe right strips? I told him to pick me some up, maybe they'll help.

I can't work at home until I get physician's release so I'm going to get that next week. Id just be doing our works' "Call Center". Statewide where they call in and the calls are disseminated all over and I can hook up to it right at home which will be nice.

I know one thing I am definately going to celebrate once this collar comes off in hopefully 5 weeks. That's when I go back for checkup and more xrays.

I believe today is when I'm getting my bone stimulator delivered to me finally. I am doing OK on the smoking. About 6 or so a day no more than that. I think I'm sitting pretty good since my NS said the type of surgery he ended up doing will assist w/fusion even more than using a cadaver bone and then also using the stimulator will help fusion considerabley even though I will be smoking a few a day.

My throat is doing well. The soreness of the breathing tube went away but I still have that sensation of a golfball in my throat at times it's pretty bad. Just dealing with it, not much else you can do. By the way, does anyone know WHAT that is? That feeling ? Is that the hardware?

Anyhow, wow, this got long. Just taking it easy, doing a lot of little stuff. I watched a movie yesterday and I'll do that again today. Still taking my one hydrocodone every 2 hours along with 2 Valium for muscle spasms(1 in am and 1 in pm) every day. Supplementing with 2 Tums to get my calcium every day and a multivitamin.

Take care everyone and I hope everyone else is also recovering well.

Sandra
advertisement

Comments

• Sandra..
    Glad to hear you are perking up, my c5/6 acdf is Monday ,so your post in encouraging :)

Horizontal dance.. HAH.. I'm milking that break for as long as I can :) (Yeah my hubby's a nympho and I need a break!)

Sounds like you are on the road to recovery.. good luck!
  • yes, I know I was trying to avoid it as long as I could too. We were going to do "that" the night before surgery but wouldn't you know AUNT FLO made her arrival just as I was turning in for the night. :< So, now it's been almost two weeks (yikes) LOL!

Take care and good luck w/ your surgery. I wish you the best. Just remember, ask for pain meds if you need them. the best thing I am doing is taking them every 2 ours if I feel I need them or not. Cause once I dont, the painr eturns with a vengeance (the surgical pain). GOOD LUCK to you and let us kow how it went when you return.

Sandra
  • Best to make it the waltz instead of the tango, LOL =)) =))
  • No belly dancing =)) I'm happy for you Cindy Lou that you're healing well. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had a C6/7 acdf, allograph, plate procedure on Monday. One of the first questions I had was when is it possible to do the "horizontal dance"? Being the smart^ss my NR is, he said I'd be in the neck brace for a long time and not to expect anything for SIX MONTHS!

You can imagine my reaction...

Then he laughed and said activity could resume soon. For those interested, he stated the "spooning" position is his recommended one that is less intense on the neck....

Happy trails (and it's nice to be clear enough to post again)...

AJ
  • Thanks for your note, MUCH appreciated. We'll see how it goes ;) I'll be sure to take my pain pills before hand mention to hubby about the spooning position. Good idea ! ;) 8}

Sounds like we had the exact same surgery. What is allograph? I don't know if that's what I had or not. I had PEEK cage with my own bone barrow he took from one of my vertebrae's. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Sandra
  • It sounds the same, but according to my doctor, my disc was "blown to bits" and they needed to reconstruct the buffer between the C6 and C7. The allograph is a cadaver bone that they use to fuse the 6/7 together and acts somewhat as a disc. Probably one of the better places for infusion because of the lack of relative mobility compared to the rest of the neck....good luck on getting everything positioned correctly!

Talk to you soon,

AJ
  • Thanks a lot for explaining that. Good luck to you as well! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sandra
advertisement