Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3rd ESI today

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,900
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Spinal Injections
Well, my PM guy finagled me into a 3rd ESI today due to increasing nerve pain bilaterally (post surgical fibrosis on left, re-herniation on right). Can't say I'm thrilled about it, as the first 2 did little to improve my situation. Only difference this time is that I've weaned myself off neurontin, so he'll get an outcome influenced by less variables. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but don't really have much faith at this point.

Ironically, I was trying to get the Lysis of Adhesion procedure done, but in order to do so, I'm being coerced into this ESI. Seems this PM doesn't do the Lysis treatment, but in order to get referred to the only network guy who does, I have to submit to this before he'll make the recommendation for me. Gotta love how managed care works....they'll pay $$$ for a procedure that's gonna do squat....but not one that actually "might" help. Ah well...nothing like frustration to compound pain.....LOL!

Alan
advertisement

Comments

• I sure understand what you mean, I had my first ESI on 11/10/08 and it did not work. Now my Ortho Dr wants to have me to try again. The PM center he sent me was terrible and did not care if I was in pain. He would not give me anything to relax me for the procedure or anything during the procedure. I was hurting when we left the office. We called back the night of the ESI and got no help, but the dr said that it was only pain and it wont hurt me. The next day my husband called again and they did not want to give me an appointment for another 24 hours. My husband told them I had to have an appointment today, they fit me in but that did nothing the PM dr. would not give me any pain meds, only a lido patch and gel. Oh we also got a lecture from the Office Manager on phone manners, my husband told them I needed an appointment, after being transfered around several times, and used an explicative word and that was translated into "cursed a blue streak" by her office staff. It is amazing that a Pain Management center has no compasion for people in pain. I told her to leave the room and get the dr after she started to tell me she knew all about pain and mine was "just nerve pain" and would get better in a few days.
    I was able to get back to see my Ortho and they gave me pain meds and have sent me to another dr for another ESI. My only other choice is a discogram followed by surgery and I have read so much about that, I am too scared to even think about it. My pain is somewhat better today and I have not even taken pain meds yet today, I did use them Wed and Thurs. PM dr treated me like a criminal and I only needed a little pain med to get by until the pain was less.
    It is amazing how these dr. have us feeling trapped into procedures that we know are not working and will most likely not work. Hope you get the results you are looking for. Good Luck!! (Sorry for such a long post, still in shock from the ESI and PM Center happenings)
  • I'm curious as to why you weaned yourself off the Neurontin? Was it helping you any?

Yes we must check all the boxes before we can move to the next level. =))

"C"
  • Well, it's been 4 days, and (as expected) I got no relief from the ESI. In fact, I seem to be more painful than before, so I'll chalk this one up to "I told me so". Yes, I know it can take a couple days for it to kick in, but everything points to my deterioration-relate symptoms continuing (bilaterally now).

On a side note, despite the fact that I expressed concern about the fact that my operative side (left) has been more painful recently, the PM went ahead and did a carbon copy of the last round of ESI (ie which was more focused on the RIGHT). He explained that he was hitting both sides (S1), and that the extra injection at L5 (right side) would probably be beneficial for BOTH sides. What a maroon!

On a positive note, the authorization to see the other PM guy went through TRICARE, and I should hopfully be able to schedule an appointment with him soon. Not sure what it'll amount to, but at this point I'll take anyone/anything that has a better grasp/clue. Frustration (not to mention pain) is kicking in, so its off to (attempt to) get some sleep.