Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op fusion had on 10/22/08

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,731
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:25 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I have been reading this site since May 2008 and have enjoyed very much. I had a level one fusion with cadver bone with instrumention on Oct 22,2008. I have some questions I did read several entries about discomfort. I have full movement of my left arm which I ddn't have before which is great but I have been experiencing discomfort in shoulders ie: numbness, burning. I have worn the collar and now just get tired of it. Trying to hang in there. Oh I had fusion of C5/C6. This is my first major surgery. Involved in motor vehicle accident in Jan 2007.
advertisement

Comments

• I think what you are experiencing is part of the healing for you. Especially since you had loss movement in your arm.

What has your doctor said about the shoulder discomfort,numbness and burning?

Cindee
  • That's great your able to move your arm after surgery. Sorry to hear about your MVA. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • But have you called your doctor? Do you think it's the collar? Does it feel like it fits well or may be the cause of the problem? I was one of the lucky ones who's doctor doesn't require a collar after surgery so I don't really know much about collars. I did have some discomfot in areas that I didn't realize would hurt. Did you doctor explain that muscles and nerves in there get moved and displaced while they make room to work on your discs. Muscles and nerves don't like to be moved.Numbness and burning sounds like nerves. They prefer to be left alone so that might be some of it. They get really mad. New symptoms pop up after surgery for most of us here. I never thought I would have back spasms but I have. After all we worked on the front of my neck! Everything in your neck has the ability to affect so many area of your body. Also just a side note I was also involved in a MVA in Sept. of this yr and had surgery in Oct. Why so long between your accident and the surgery?
  • collar collar collar

been almost three months for me in this collar. ~X( the NS has now told me that i can start weaning form it now. it is the last two weeks of my three months of this collar and i can't wait to see him to get released.

the pain in the shoulders . . .yup . . .i had it. muscle relaxers worked for me. the burning pain . .. .was muscular pain for me. i used icy hot rub and it really helped. soaking in hot tub worked well too.

i just recently broke out in a rash and small zits under the collsr. tea tree oil worked to clear up the gross zits. =D>

how long are u in your ball and chain for?
advertisement